Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 128
  1. #61  
    I'm sure the buzz will die down for the few who even know about the Pre right now. But i'm also sure it'll pick right back up before release. You may have moved on to another phone by then, but others will step in place.

    The goal of CES wasn't to sell a product 3-6 months from then. It was to create some buzz that palm actually had something going on. Before CES, most thought palm had nothing. CES did wonders for changing the perception of palm not to mention its stock.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    See, its not exactly fun when people take something you say, edit it to make it look like you're saying something you're not, and then rant on you about it huh?
    What rant? It's been six weeks. Or if you prefer, it's been SIX WEEKS!!!

    There is no monthS (plural). It's been one month later. Big whoop. How many MWC devices are launching on American carriers six weeks later?

    All that's dragging on is silly agonizing when a small amount of time has passed.

    I'm not saying its not understandable for Palm to be doing this. They said first half of the year, June is the likely release date, that makes sense. I don't blame them for it.

    At the same time.

    That doesn't change the fact that for some of us, the farther we get from CES without information the more the buzz fades. For those of us that were looking for new phones in January and stopped only cause we saw the pre, the lure to go ahead and get a new one now instead of waiting a possible 2 to 4 months, barring any bug issues that delay the release, helps to kill the Buzz. This isn't Palm's fault, but it doesn't change the fact its happening for some people.
    So your criteria for getting a new phone is that it's a new phone to the market? Then it doesn't matter what Palm does or when they release it. They'll release it at some point, it'll be the newest hottest thing around...and then it will be replaced be a newer hotter handset. Go chase that. No company can build any sort of reliable business on that.

    For most people, they buy a device because of features and what it does for them, not newness. The iPhone created its buzz BECAUSE of its features. Not the other way around. Same for the Pre. People were excited because they saw a lengthy demo that showed lots of badass features. Those features will be there if they launched January 15, February 15, or June 15.

    If you want a new phone with the Pre's features, you'll wait. If you want a new phone - PERIOD - then it's irrelevant when the Pre launches. There will always be people who want a new phone. So if the Pre doesn't grab the people that just wanted a new phone in March, they'll grab the people that just want a new phone in May or June or whenever they launch.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What rant? It's been six weeks.
    People here generally feel you rant, and you have a history of personal attacks, that is probably where the poster you are attacking is coming from.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmefoc View Post
    No, its not genius in the least bit. Every day they wait to release THEIR product, its a day closer to Apple releasing THEIR product. If I were to say "Pre comes out tomorrow, Im buying" that locks me into sprint for AT LEAST 2 years. Once I have purchased the handset, its a tickmark for both sprint and Palm.
    Well, it locks you in for 2 years if you:
    1. Keep it past 30 days.
    2. Purchase a two year contract.
    3. Let Sprint jerk you around with their ETF (8 years running now I have gotten out of Sprint contracts due to substandard network service - it's easy enough to do in my area).

    Other than that, you have no argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmefoc View Post
    Now on the otherhand, if I say "hmm, the pre is coming out June 10th (example date) and Apple just announced they will be rolling out the brand spanking new Iphone with a keyboard, and it comes with a brazilian supermodel, its coming out june 15th"

    which do you think im going to get? That IS lost business for Palm and Sprint because that is $$$ NOT coming to them, that if they had handled this differently, it would have been.
    It is not lost business for Palm - it is retained business for AT&T. Are you saying that the 170 million US wireless customers currently not on Sprint's networks are "lost business for Palm and Sprint?" That's priceless. Make sure you stay away from the business world.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    People here generally feel you rant, and you have a history of personal attacks, that is probably where the poster you are attacking is coming from.
    mikah912 --- you do rant. Sorry. It's true. But that's ok. Your posts , IMO, have been 'good conversation'. Every now and then you hijack a thread.

    And Aero --- ur no angle. I;m curios what you do for a living ?

    And yes- my posts are moslty pointless. mostly.

    and this all goes to the reason for the thread. The Buzz is fading fast, we don't have anything to talk about, instead we are commenting on eachothers discussion board personalities. UGH
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  6. #66  
    I already did my part to curb that. Aero is on my ignore list, and Crogs doesn't want to talk to me anyway. That just leaves Phone Diva, who I get along with fine.

    Everybody else...if we have disagreed, it has been on a small scale.

    Now...back to incessant complaints!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I already did my part to curb that. Aero is on my ignore list, and Crogs doesn't want to talk to me anyway. That just leaves Phone Diva, who I get along with fine.

    Everybody else...if we have disagreed, it has been on a small scale.

    Now...back to incessant complaints!
    Yes. Keep complaining.:-)
    I always forget about the ignore list thing. i would think the convcersatin wouldn't flow properly
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  8. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What rant? It's been six weeks. Or if you prefer, it's been SIX WEEKS!!!

    There is no monthS (plural). It's been one month later. Big whoop. How many MWC devices are launching on American carriers six weeks later?
    What Rant? Your entire <<edited by berd>> post where you clipped and altered my quote and then ranted at me for saying "months" while completely ignoring the context and the actual WORDS I USED that showed I said "weeks" as in current to Months, IE the months its likely to be till launch.

    But that didn't fit the little mold you had in your head for the flame job you wanted to dish out, so naturally you had to edit my post to make it seem I was saying something I wasn't.

    So your criteria for getting a new phone is that it's a new phone to the market? Then it doesn't matter what Palm does or when they release it. They'll release it at some point, it'll be the newest hottest thing around...and then it will be replaced be a newer hotter handset. Go chase that. No company can build any sort of reliable business on that.
    No, most of my criteria for a phone just happens to be filled by both the Pre AND the iPhone, and now the Diamond2. The base criteria for me is covered by all three of them.

    Each of them have various other benefits as well. I know this may shock and amaze you, but availability and length of use is one of those criteria for some people. Essentially, in the case of the iPhone, is 4 to 6 months of additional use worth more than the additional features of the Pre I find intirguing. In regards to the Diamond2, will the features provided there above my criteria and the likely wait for it outweigh the additional features and availability of the Pre.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps I'm just having a hard time reading words, but i do believe the subject of this thread is the "buzz" wearing off. Not that its not a good phone. Not that its not a good buy. Not that its not worth waiting for. Simply put, that the buzz, the excitement, is waning.

    Why exactly are you leaping on peoples asses for daring to suggest that such happens. Why is this some great enormous sin that the lord mikah must come down from the heavens to alter the words of the pleebs so he may rant at them?

    Baseball season starts off rather hot, tails off during the middle, and then gets hot again just as you're getting into the playoff race.

    TV Shows generally have a big start to the season and a big end to the season, with interest dropping off generally during the middle.

    It is normal, in almost all things, for the excitement and buzz to wear off as time goes on. For some things you can be confident that you've created ENOUGH buzz, have a good enough product, a good enough plan, and a solid enough base that that drop off isn't an issues. For other things, it may behoove you to try and capitalize on that buzz when its still high to try to get the most out of it.

    What is better for Palm? Hell if I know, I don't know their financial situation greatly nor what they're market research is saying nor where the Pre is in development and testing right now. They're making that call and that's fine.

    That doesn't change the fact that yes, for many, the buzz IS and will continue to wear off for many people as the weeks and months pass between CES and the release date.

    For most people, they buy a device because of features and what it does for them, not newness. The iPhone created its buzz BECAUSE of its features. Not the other way around. Same for the Pre. People were excited because they saw a lengthy demo that showed lots of badass features. Those features will be there if they launched January 15, February 15, or June 15.
    Indeed, much of Apple's buzz was on the features. It also helped that a new Apple PDA device was long desired by geeks, and the Apple brand of computers was well known to the general public. Still, the iPhone's buzz reduced significantly between the initial announcement and the build up to launch. That ended up not being a negative for them, though at the same time the iPhone was the first major player in a new category...TOUCH smart phones.

    Palm's buzz is slightly different. Its not being heralded as a real change in the paradigm, but more as a contender for dominance in that field. While well known in the smart phone/pda world, it still doesn't have the name value of an Apple. Unlike the iPhone, they've got a clearly defined goliath standing atop the hill. Its arguable that the reduction of Buzz between announcement and launch may cause them to lose some possible buyers that they could've kept with better efforts at maintaining the buzz.

    This, to me, is not about launching the Pre in february, or march, or even April...though I do think they'd benefit most from an April launch at the latest as I think it'll be best for them to be out a few months before any announcements of a new iPhone.

    What this is about is maintaining the Buzz factor throughout this. For example, as great as their demo at CES was I think it would've behooved them to hold maybe one or two features back...perhaps say touchstone...to release at MWC would've been smart. The lack of just about anything there brought a lot of the general buzz down as people were holding on for more information there, and it was deflated. Was it wrong for them to expect it? Perhaps, but it was understandable as to why they would.

    I love the video on Palm's website. Its smart, soothing, relaxed, and a great way of presenting the Pre. It didn't really show us much of anything "New" save for one feature...which was key. Putting out one of those every 2 to 3 weeks would help keep the buzz up, sliding us a new feature in the midst of seeing the OS in action and getting us thinking how we may use the phone.

    I will give Palm credit, they ARE doing some nice things to help out with the buzz in regards to the facebook group and the twitter stuff. But I think they could do better, and I do think for many the buzz IS fading a bit.

    Will it have any real impact on their sales? Who knows, I think it may have a small impact but nothing too major to be honest.

    For me personally, there's a lot of things I like about the Pre. A2DP is a big one and mutlitasking are the bigs ones over the iPhone, while I like the iPhones screen size and thus far media abilities better. I like the Touch focused OS and multitouch features over my Diamond. Synergy is extremely interesting to me and can imagine ways I'd use it, but at the moment I don't use multiple calenders nor am I an active facebook person though that could change.

    I was ready to buy a new phone in January not because I needed "The newest thing", but because I was not fully happy with the one I currently owned. The absolutely amazing presentation and the buzz of the Pre was strong enough to cause me to hold off on that choice I had previously made; holding off on buying a phone as I watched the Pre information roll out.

    Now, a month and a half out as the buzz begins to wear off, I begin to now evaluate how much of that halt on my part was due to major interest in the features of the Pre above those of its competitors or how much of it was simply due to the amazing presentation and buzz? Personally, I think its the first option, as I'm likely going to wait. But there's others out there that may end up asking themselves that question now, or next month, or the month after, and decided "I was only interested because of the buzz and how it looked".

    And its those people that, if its launched in March or April, that they may still get to purchse their phone that they wouldn't in June.

    Most likely though, I'll be one of those June people.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/27/2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Language
  9. #69  
  10. #70  
    I posted a thread about losing interest and that the TP2 and TD2 were of worthy buzz news. Mikah then turned it personal as he has done in several other threads by manipulating my words.

    He does it because he is either a shill for Palm PRPRPR $or$ $just$ $an$ $insane$ $fanboy$. $Doesn$'$t$ $matter$ $either$ $way$... $I$ $don$'$t$ $get$ $into$ $opinion$ $threads$ $with$ $him$ ($and$ $others$) $because$ $they$ $can$'$t$ $respect$ $others$ $opinions$ $and$ $tout$ $their$ $own$ $like$ $its$ $fact$.
  11. #71  
    OT. Apologies. I sometimes think that a 200 word limit for posts would be a good idea.
  12. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    (irrelevant text snipped away)

    The iPhone was the first TOUCH smart phone.
    Sounds like someone's never heard of a Treo. I'm TOUCHing the screen on my Treo 650 right now and would you look at that, the programs are reacting to it!! How SMART of my PHONE to do that.

    BTW, Apple didn't invent the finger either.







    P.S. I'm totally just messing around. =P
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  13. #73  
    I just want a date to be announced so I can just set the date on my calendar and move on, I think I check the web every few hours for an update to see if a release date has been announced. I will probably pick up a Pre, even if I have to switch out of SERO. Sooner or later no sprint phone will "support" SERO anymore and I don't want to be stuck with a Treo 700wx forever.
  14. #74  
    Why/how in the world will a particular phone not support a plan? Or are you suggesting that sprint will eventually say you can't activate a new phone with Sero?
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Why/how in the world will a particular phone not support a plan? Or are you suggesting that sprint will eventually say you can't activate a new phone with Sero?
    The Instinct requires an Everything plan. It's possible Sprint will do the same with the Pre. There's already been discussions about this on the forum. Several people have made the statement of refusing to get the Pre if it requires them to change from SERO to an Everything plan.
  16. #76  
    I have heard that about the instinct, but I always thought that just meant Sprint wouldn't sell it to you with a good deal without the plan too.

    You mean to tell me that if I bought an instinct on ebay and did not have a data plan, sprint would refuse to activate it?
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You mean buggy in march or less buggy in june. There is no such thing as bug free.

    And I will take "buggy in march" for 200, Alex.
    get a storm then...
    u'll not have a buggy pre in march...
    they'd rather delay it then to release it buggy.

    qoute me on that...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  18. Padre's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    for you !!!!
  19. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Sounds like someone's never heard of a Treo. I'm TOUCHing the screen on my Treo 650 right now and would you look at that, the programs are reacting to it!! How SMART of my PHONE to do that.

    BTW, Apple didn't invent the finger either.


    P.S. I'm totally just messing around. =P
    Don't make me Hadoken you
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I have heard that about the instinct, but I always thought that just meant Sprint wouldn't sell it to you with a good deal without the plan too.

    You mean to tell me that if I bought an instinct on ebay and did not have a data plan, sprint would refuse to activate it?
    They would have to "upgrade" it to a "compatible" plan.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions