Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone care to venture a guess as to why there is no launch date yet? Here are my ideas:
    1. They have no idea when it will be. The software and/or hardware is that far from being ready.
    2. They do have a definite idea but it is so far off that they are afraid people will go buy iPhones instead
    3. They do have an idea. It's relatively soon. However, they don't want people to wait and not buy a Treo Pro.
    4. They do have an idea. They don't want Apple to release the new iPhone the week before and steal their thunder. If the new iPhone comes out, they may decide to wait a month.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 02/26/2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm really hoping it is because they want it to be bullet proof when they release it. In which case, I can wait.
    Dan Hesse already told us why
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-2-qs-pre.html

Hesse: We haven’t announced that. The plan of both companies is to have it on the market in the first half of the year. Obviously when you’re bringing out a new device with this level of sophistication and functionality there’s a lot of work required. The guys at Palm are working 24/7 and we’re working 24/7 to bring it out as soon as we can, but we’re not going to bring it out until we’re really confident that the launch is going to be really successful in terms of how it operates. Of course to be able to produce the devices we want to make sure that there’s enough. Clearly it’s going to be a device that’s going to be in high demand and it is going to be in shortage no matter when we launch it, but we don’t want it to be too early where there’s only a handful of Pres in the whole country. We want to make sure that we can also have production ramped up at a reasonable level before we launch the product. There are a lot of variables that go into when we’re going to launch it. But both Sprint and Palm are very focused on launching as soon as we can and our target is to launch in the first half. There are also no price details yet."
    Last edited by NachoB; 02/26/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    #4 is ridiculous. I'm sure Apple isn't anywhere close to being ready to release a 3rd gen Iphone. Most likely they'll announce and/or release it around July, which is why I keep saying Palm will be shooting themselves in the foot if they get anywhere close to waiting that long! AT&T users willl be perfectly content waiting an extra month to see what the new iphone has to offer.
    they have an idea but the phone is not 100% ready. They need to tweak the OS, then test the phone on the Sprint service. After it gets through all the tests required by sprint we'll start seeing serious promos
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  6.    #6  
    That quote from Dan Hesse has so much spin that I had to rotate my chair just to read it. Here are his main spin-tific points:
    1. The Pre will be VERY sophisticated
    2. It's going to work like gangbusters right out of the box
    3. You'll be lucky to get one when it launches so you better get ready to line up

Reading between the lines:
    1. We're not nearly far enough along to commit to a date
    2. If we told you what our guess is, you'd probably get another phone
    3. We REALLY need you guys to line up outside of the Sprint and Best Buy stores just like they did with the iPhone and pretended to with the Blackberry Storm. The pictures, alone, are worth millions to us in advertising.
    whats gangbusters? lol

good point though.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Anyone care to venture a guess as to why there is no launch date yet? Here are my ideas:
    1. They have no idea when it will be. The software and/or hardware is that far from being ready.
    2. They do have a definite idea but it is so far off that they are afraid people will go buy iPhones instead
    I think it's a combination of these. They really have no idea when the release is at this point. They likely have a goal, and that's it.

Although I resent the fact that you think somehow the iphone is the best alternative to a pre. I would take a number of HTC phones over an iphone, and I certainly will never pay what AT&T wants for a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    That quote from Dan Hesse has so much spin that I had to rotate my chair just to read it. Here are his main spin-tific points:
    1. The Pre will be VERY sophisticated
    2. It's going to work like gangbusters right out of the box
    3. You'll be lucky to get one when it launches so you better get ready to line up

Reading between the lines:
    1. We're not nearly far enough along to commit to a date
    2. If we told you what our guess is, you'd probably get another phone
    3. We REALLY need you guys to line up outside of the Sprint and Best Buy stores just like they did with the iPhone and pretended to with the Blackberry Storm. The pictures, alone, are worth millions to us in advertising.
    bingo
    Oh Sprint knows exactly when it is going to be released, but its not telling. Hesse wants to see how crazy he can make everyone at treocentral first. He is cruel an petty that way.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    thought there were rumors of a new 16gb model floating around with a black metal back. I remember seeing some pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    #4 is ridiculous. I'm sure Apple isn't anywhere close to being ready to release a 3rd gen Iphone. Most likely they'll announce and/or release it around July, which is why I keep saying Palm will be shooting themselves in the foot if they get anywhere close to waiting that long! AT&T users willl be perfectly content waiting an extra month to see what the new iphone has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think it's a combination of these. They really have no idea when the release is at this point. They likely have a goal, and that's it.
    I agree with this. I doubt very much that they have absolutely no idea. No project manager worth his salt lacks a schedule. On the other hand, their schedule is likely getting close to testing, and testing is simply an unknown quantity. Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, has any idea how long it will really take to get through tests. Probably the experience with the Treo Pro has everyone at Palm a bit rattled. Sure, you can put a bracket around it, but the one on the right will always be a little soft. So they really can't give us a solid release date unless they do one of two things:
    a. Make an estimate very far to the right to ensure you don't miss it (I think this was our June 30th 2009 date).
    b. Get close enough to the end of testing that you're pretty confident you've gotten all the kinks worked out.

If the hardware and software wasn't already pretty solid, we wouldn't have gotten a commitment from Palm and Sprint for 1H09. Until we get to b above, we won't get anything better than that from them officially.

At least, that's what I think.
    I'm sure they are testing and making sure the preinstalled third-party apps from partners are within standards. Remember there was zilch from the third-parties in the demos at CES. Palm and Sprint would not want to launch and wear egg again.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I'm sure they are testing and making sure the preinstalled third-party apps from partners are within standards. Remember there was zilch from the third-parties in the demos at CES. Palm and Sprint would not want to launch and wear egg again.
    One of the ces videos showed someone using the amazon app to stream a song preview.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Oh Sprint knows exactly when it is going to be released, but its not telling. Hesse wants to see how crazy he can make everyone at treocentral first. He is cruel an petty that way.
    Suffer my little Treocentral friends Muahahahahaha
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    To me, Mr. Hesse is really saying they aren't ready to release for quite a while. They are still testing and working out the bugs. They also may not even be in mass manufacturing yet. Hesse makes it sound like they may push the line about the 1st half of the year.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ^Agreed. If I had to take anything from his statements it would be that it will be a while before we see these phones on store shelves.

Ol' Danny Boy didn't sound too confident at all in his shpeil.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Or the PRE is just a huge conspiracy and the entire internet is laughing at us right now in our ignorance. A very elaborate hoax.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    If you really knew the release date, then wouldn't there be nothing to talk about? Not knowing makes it more fun.

The "target" date is known by Palm and Sprint, but why announce the release date if there is any risk of even a small delay that can cause backlash.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that Hesse's comment about Sprint working 24/7 to get the Pre out means that Sprint is trying to get EVDO Rev A fully functional before Pre ships.

Its obvious that Palm is working hard to get Pre finished. But what else could Sprint be working on 24/7 that has to do with Pre?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast