Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And how many months before release were 3rd party developers on board for the new iphone OS?
    Are they really that late in the game?
    I agree, the developers would like more info sooner than later, but you said you were surprised palm hasn't passed on to developers a solid solution by now.
    I'm not trying to make any point, I was simply asking how much in advance were 3rd party apps available for iphone? What could of been a simple and relevant answer, has now somewhat derailed these guys thread.

Nevermind
  2.    #22  
    Using lots of open source software is fine, unless you want your favorite smartphone apps developed and updated in a timely manner.

Not having a lot of third party apps available at launch is also fine, unless your platform is two years behind the competition and you want retain your existing user base.
    So what's the solution? Surely someone here has a good idea. I refuse to believe that there is nothing to be done about it except to complain. There must be a creative way to protect your code, or there must be some relatively cheap and easy thing Palm could do to protect the code (such as writing apps to a protected area of the disk, and not allowing users to "view source" as they can in web browsers--users might not like that though).

And, might there not also be ways to make money on applications that are written without strong protections? Does this necessarily mean that only one person will pay for an application and then it will be copied ad infinitum to anyone who wants it? I know DRM for music is a huge deal, but iTunes is moving to DRM-less downloads of music. So a user could potentially copy that song and send it to all of his friends. Does that mean that the song writer won't make any money because of pirating?
    As I mentioned in the webcast thread, it's not only Palm that's having issues with this. Google is trying to prevent users with the developer version of the G1 (which has root access) from being able to access paid apps for the same reason:

Google blocking paid Market apps from Dev Phone 1 users - Engadget

I also mentioned in the webcast thread that a good start would be simply storing the applications on the ext2 or ext3 partition (I don't remember what it is) and then the most casual users wouldn't even know how to access that. Really, all they have to do is prevent you from actually seeing the folders the applications reside in and that'd stop 90% of people, and those other 10% will find a way to copy things anyway. If when you plug the Pre in as mass storage, they only make the FAT32 partition accessible, then I don't think there will be as much of a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I also mentioned in the webcast thread that a good start would be simply storing the applications on the ext2 or ext3 partition (I don't remember what it is) and then the most casual users wouldn't even know how to access that. Really, all they have to do is prevent you from actually seeing the folders the applications reside in and that'd stop 90% of people, and those other 10% will find a way to copy things anyway. If when you plug the Pre in as mass storage, they only make the FAT32 partition accessible, then I don't think there will be as much of a problem.
    That seems like a very reasonable way to provide a measure of protection against copying.
    My guess is that while protecting third-party applications is a long-term problem, their short-term problem is generating thousands of applications quickly, so that they can compare to the iPhone app store.

So the problem sort-of solves itself - encourage every html programmer to quickly make non-protected programs (generating the numbers that the marketing dept. wants), and then come out with a solid API later this year for real third-party access to the kernal.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Keep in mind this isn't happening in isolation, there's also the "you don't really need a binary API anyway" attitude. Well, some game writers do. StyleTap will if you want them to bring their Palm OS emulator over. And Adobe certainly isn't building you Flash support in JavaScript.
    My wild guess is they will have their "certification" category that was talked about early on that will somehow take your app and hide it or compile it into some encrypted/locked/hidden/? binary. Like you mention, they would not have gotten the big 3rd party developer buy in without it. I think they will have different levels of apps, with the secured ones coming from the palm app store and the others would just be downloaded from a web server.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    My guess is that while protecting third-party applications is a long-term problem, their short-term problem is generating thousands of applications quickly, so that they can compare to the iPhone app store.

So the problem sort-of solves itself - encourage every html programmer to quickly make non-protected programs (generating the numbers that the marketing dept. wants), and then come out with a solid API later this year for real third-party access to the kernal.
    and hopefully somewhere in the middle of that plan, some clever individuals will be able to gain access to the inner workings of webOS, so we'll be able to run anything on it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12