1.    #1  
    http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/2...on-turnaround#

"RCR: Speaking of handset selection, let’s talk about the Palm Pre. How long will Sprint Nextel have exclusivity on the new device?

Hesse: We haven’t commented on how long the exclusivity period lasts. Palm and Sprint have agreed that we won’t comment on that.

RCR: Is there a scheduled release date?

Hesse: We haven’t announced that. The plan of both companies is to have it on the market in the first half of the year. Obviously when you’re bringing out a new device with this level of sophistication and functionality there’s a lot of work required. The guys at Palm are working 24/7 and we’re working 24/7 to bring it out as soon as we can, but we’re not going to bring it out until we’re really confident that the launch is going to be really successful in terms of how it operates. Of course to be able to produce the devices we want to make sure that there’s enough. Clearly it’s going to be a device that’s going to be in high demand and it is going to be in shortage no matter when we launch it, but we don’t want it to be too early where there’s only a handful of Pres in the whole country. We want to make sure that we can also have production ramped up at a reasonable level before we launch the product. There are a lot of variables that go into when we’re going to launch it. But both Sprint and Palm are very focused on launching as soon as we can and our target is to launch in the first half. There are also no price details yet."
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Hesse: We haven’t announced that. The plan of both companies is to have it on the market in the first half of the year. Obviously when you’re bringing out a new device with this level of sophistication and functionality there’s a lot of work required. The guys at Palm are working 24/7 and we’re working 24/7 to bring it out as soon as we can, but we’re not going to bring it out until we’re really confident that the launch is going to be really successful in terms of how it operates. Of course to be able to produce the devices we want to make sure that there’s enough. Clearly it’s going to be a device that’s going to be in high demand and it is going to be in shortage no matter when we launch it, but we don’t want it to be too early where there’s only a handful of Pres in the whole country. We want to make sure that we can also have production ramped up at a reasonable level before we launch the product. There are a lot of variables that go into when we’re going to launch it. But both Sprint and Palm are very focused on launching as soon as we can and our target is to launch in the first half. There are also no price details yet."
    I think it is a fairly honest and responsible response
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Wow,
    Nice to know that both are working 24/7 .
    The news is comforting to me.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    In this article, it talks about pricing, but it also said that the initial allotment of phones will be around 200,000. I'm not sure if that is a lot for a launch. How many did the iphone go through?

Palm Pre Sprint’s pricing update and sales volumes » Unwired View
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    In this article, it talks about pricing, but it also said that the initial allotment of phones will be around 200,000. I'm not sure if that is a lot for a launch. How many did the iphone go through?
    If true the total number of Pre between now and Oct 1 09 is the number of iphones sold in a week
    ^ Ergh. I doubt they'll make that mistake.
    What was the topic of this tread again? "Should we post release rumors?"

Oh yeah, comments from Mr. Hesse. After reading I guess my only thoughts are:

1. Thank goodness they are focused on making this a solid launch and not a storm or IP3G launch. I would much rather buy it in June than spend hours updating every time there is a leaked firmware. I was looking through one of those Storm leaked firmware theads yesterday thinking "thank God I am not stuck in the middle of this mess." I could just close it down and feel lucky.

2. I'm glad they are working "24/7" although that is probably an exaggeration. As he described the work they need to do and the fact that he wants plenty of supply before release tells me that we are probably looking at late April to June. Not March.

Whatever. I wish I had one now but I will live.
    Well, as bad as I want one I rather they take their time so it works right.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Big deal! When's the Touch Pro 2 going to be introduced?!? Come on Dan! We're waiting!!

(Thought I would change it up a bit)