Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Slides and audio will be on O'Reilly site..in a day or two.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Slides and audio of presentation will be available on O'Reilly's site.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    They are signing off now
    Recording of the event will be up in a day or two.
    Forums - recommended developer.palm.com
    WebCast end.
    Ttthhhat's all folks!
    Sprint Treo 755p
    hmmm, l just don't have a great feeling after listening to the WebCast.
    I enjoyed the little snippets of code examples that he did, but somehow I feel like I was punched in the gut after that event. Not even a hint of when the SDK or anything else is expected to be done or released or anything.

I also felt like nothing is even close to done. No emulator, no eclipse plugin, no solution for security/privacy, no solutions other than basic javascript with an interface to the hardware. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Sadly, I felt the same way listening to this. :-( Though I didn't want to admit it, June is sounding a lot more possible now, if that.
    Luckily, in Dieter's questions post, he mentioned that the SDK might actually be out after the release of the actual device, though I think the best thing is still what I've said all along. Expect June, and anything before that is just a nice surprise.
    General impression:

- Development looks straightforward. MVC-based in JSJSJS.

- HTML views look straightforward.

- Service calls look very easy...but not clear what is being implemented on the server-side

- No real scheme for protecting client-side code. Probably will end up with obfuscation. Palm's focus seems to be on you protecting critical functions server-side and accessing it from the client. Not exactly the best model for a Sudoku app.

- No defined path to write to the OS...or port existing OS/JVM-based apps.

- SDK seems nowhere near release

- Many conceptual issues not yet worked out for third-party apps

Unless they work out some of these issues, there will be much development on this platform, but it may be largely amatuer hour. I don't see business apps ported to this device...and many developers of standalone apps may also have reservations. Very disappointing for folks who want to run on the metal...perhaps porting existing code. If you want to port Java, the answer is clear - develop for Android.

Of course, they did say that they wanted the fat middle.

$0.02
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 02/25/2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    General impression:

- Development looks straightforward. MVC-based in JSJSJS.

- HTML views look straightforward.

- Service calls look very easy...but not clear what is being implemented on the server-side

- No real scheme for protecting client-side code. Probably will end up with obfuscation. Palm's focus seems to be on you protecting critical functions server-side and accessing it from the client. Not exactly the best model for a Sudoku app.

- SDK seems nowhere near release

- Many conceptual issues not yet worked out for third-party apps
    Agreed on all points.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Luckily, in Dieter's questions post, he mentioned that the SDK might actually be out after the release of the actual device, though I think the best thing is still what I've said all along. Expect June, and anything before that is just a nice surprise.
    definitely agreed, though I feel like after years and years of loyal use of palm devices, we're all just being yanked around. I feel like an apple fan boy waiting for the next tidbit of info from the great and powerful Apple. :-( I really never wanted to feel like that.
    That sucks. At this rate, it will be well after the device release.
    He did indicate that he was using an unsophisticated development model for clarity. But does a higher level one exist? Probably wasn't worth getting up a 4am for.
    [QUOTE=scuba_steve;1562381]Obfuscation appears to be the coming answer...which is disappointing.
    QUOTE]

I always say eschew obfuscation.

Anyway, thanks to all for the transcript.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    Question: Privacy of application code?
    Answer: Still looking at that issue. Will have better advice when SDK launches. It is a big concern of Palm as well.
    I asked this same question. Seems to be a big issue especially for applications that reside solely on the Pre.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Yup, I submitted the IP question to him, though maybe others did as well.

When it was obvious the Pre would have no backwards compatibility I looked through the programs I have to see which ones I could live without. Some were important but will probably have Pre versions (like SplashMoney, there was a SplashData logo at the end of the first presentation.) I saw two that were unlikely to be ported, but then I got to thinking about how I could do a much better job of both of them, maybe a third as well. Since these would be purely client side apps (kind of like SplashMoney) this is disappointing. I don't think it's going to stop me from doing at least one of them, but I would have liked a better solution, or at least any answer at all.
    Thinking about protecting source code, I wonder if the simplest answer to that would be to just have the applications run from the ext2 (or was it ext3, I can't remember) partition, and then, honestly, the majority of users wouldn't even be able to access them to view the source, especially since we haven't seen wind of any on-device file browser yet.

I mean, a lot of the more technical people obviously know that ext2/ext3 are Linux filesystems, and you can install a driver to read them, but the more technical people who really care are probably going to be able to find a way to get to the source regardless.
    The development environment did not look like it was that far along. He built two screens with a button that switched between them. How about a catalog of user interface elements like popup triggers, sliders, switches, lists, tables. Why wouldn't they show that? Is there any whiz-bang other than the cards/application menu? It's like they are still working on the user interface.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast