Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Developer doens't need to care whether connection is data or wifi...OS handles...but you can query if you care.
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 02/25/2009 at 01:13 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Question: Privacy of application code?
    Answer: Still looking at that issue. Will have better advice when SDK launches. It is a big concern of Palm as well.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    IP question about JSJSJS...$lame$ $answer$. $Focuses$ $on$ $protecting$ $on$ $server$-$side$. $Doesn$'$t$ $help$ $folks$ $building$ $pure$ $client$-$side$ $app$. $They$ $are$ $thinking$ $about$ $it$. ($perhaps$ $obfuscation$?)

I suppose on the positive side, we can see the source code of the palm apps
    Question: Support 3rd party Javascript libraries?
    Answer: Should be compatible, should work.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Q: App style requirements?
    A: Many styles available, but can be overridden in CSS, and you (developers) can create your own.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Q: Apps remaining useable when not connected?
    A: Yes, absolutely. Local storage is available for offline access. So data can be cached.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Plam's perspective of local storage major functions:

- offline storage/access...you should cache (HTML 5)
    - caching to speed up connected operations
    Q: What access do headless apps have to run in background?
    A: Headless apps don't have a card, but do have a dashboard panel. All apps must have some visual (dashboard, notification, or card). No support for completely "background" app.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Listening to the WebCast it does not sound like the sdk is anywhere near release.

Also, I would be really concerned with the privacy of my code. Doesn't sound like Palm has an answer for this.
    Q: Development platforms?
    A: Mac, Windows, Linux.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    As book said, an app has to have one window up to be running...even if that is just on the dashboard. No pure background apps.

Of course, palm's apps stay active when they don't have windows up (e.g., calendar popups)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Listening to the WebCast it does not sound like the sdk is anywhere near release.

Also, I would be really concerned with the privacy of my code. Doesn't sound like Palm has an answer for this.
    Agree on both points. Obfuscation appears to be the coming answer...which is disappointing.

Stage switching also has artifacts. I think that we are many months away from seeing this SDK.
    Q: SDK tool bundles?
    A: Probably for Textmate, Eclipse. Will make others known in the future.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but the brief look I just got, the Mojo sdk looks very very basic compared to the iPhone sdk.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Of course, palm's apps stay active when they don't have windows up (e.g., calendar popups)
    Maybe they have notifications registered but not currently visible?
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Seems like they have many issues for which they don't even have a conceptual answer for third-party apps...let alone a technical solution.

IMHO, we are nowhere near an SDK release.
    Q: What skills should developers acquire prior to launch of SDK?
    A: JavaScript most important. Subscribe to developer.palm.com.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Recommended technologies to ramp up on for future Pre developers:

JavaScript (identified as the main one)

My advice - persistence aspects of HTML 5.

Agreed, though I guessed that just from the name of the webcast being "A Sneak Preview at WebOS development".

And yeah, Palm's answer to the privacy was a non-answer, unfortunately, which might be a huge problem for developers. Hopefully it'll be figured out before the release of the SDK.

Sadly, I felt the same way listening to this. :-( Though I didn't want to admit it, June is sounding a lot more possible now, if that.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast