Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I'm more or less thinking "out loud" here but I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussions... I know a lot of people speculate that Palm isn't including a microSD slot because they want to come out with a 16gb Pre in the future like the iPhone. I was reading that basically, like with the iPhone, it's not a matter of not being able to as much as it is a matter of greed - Apple (and most likely Palm) can sell more phones by limiting what the current one's can and can not do.

What's interesting though is that Apple, to increase popularity of their OS and encourage developement, has actually been releasing OS updates for both new AND old hardware so all users benifit from the latest updates. I know that this has not been true with Palm in the past (they want you to buy a new phone just for bugfixes! *cough*700p*cough*).

So, I was wondering what people thought about the concept of Palm providing OS updates to the Pre as new versions of webOS come out. Do you think Palm will do it? Do you think it would be good or bad for the webOS developement community for them to try and do this?
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    They've said that it'll be easier to provide updates for this than in the past. Whether that translates to more feature updates or not, we'll see, though I'd imagine at least one of those updates will have video recording and the already confirmed Flash capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They've said that it'll be easier to provide updates for this than in the past. Whether that translates to more feature updates or not, we'll see, though I'd imagine at least one of those updates will have video recording and the already confirmed Flash capabilities.
    I have a feeling that flash will come out in the form of a 3rd party app, and possibly video recording will be left to 3rd party developers as well. I'm still hoping that Palm and Adobe will shock everyone by coming out with webOS with flash working from day 1.

As for constant updates, to the OS, i feel like Palm will be forced to follow Apple's lead and release updates constantly and even for older hardware.
    Somewhere amongst the videos, I don't remember which one, a Palm employee said that OS updates would be pushed OTA.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I have a feeling that flash will come out in the form of a 3rd party app, and possibly video recording will be left to 3rd party developers as well.
    Flash will be provided by a third party (Adobe) but it will not be a traditional app like everyone else can make. It's going to need to integrate into the web browser and have access to their super-secret binary API to be workable. It will most likely be pushed out as part of an OS update.

Same with video. They can conceivably have Javascript hooks for that like they do other device services, but if that capability's already baked into the underlying OS, why wouldn't it be available in their own app in some form? I think it's not there. Maybe they'll add it in a later OS update, maybe not.