Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this question may be un-answerable, given that WebOS is new to all of us. But can anyone make a good educated guess as to if or not a complete data transfer of basic, non-3rd party info (contacts, calendar items, notes) will be possible IF ONE DOES NOT currently use any sort of 'cloud' service to store one's data - i.e. MS Exchange Server, Facebook, etc.?

I'm thinking Sprint will work out some sort of way to migrate the data from a 755p or 700p or whatever Palm device onto the Pre from behind that Wizard-of-OZ black curtain they disappear to whenever activating any new phone.
    I don't recall where I read or heard this, but it was said that Palm would provide a way for current PalmOS users to migrate their PIM data to the Pre. I'll try and find it, I think Ed Colligan made the statement.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I think palm will have missed the boat if they don't have a desktop sync.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think palm will have missed the boat if they don't have a desktop sync.
    I sort of agree.

I mean, I see where their thinking is going on this. They're really taking a very bold leap (not a step) forward by completely ignoring the tactile (if you will) desktop sync in lieu of this nebulous 'cloud' sync.

Folk like me have never stored data that way. And have no desire whatsoever to store data that way. "Security Risk" is the first thing to pop into my head. Followed closely by "What the heck happens when a couple of years down the line I want to switch to another (non-'cloud') device? How do I get all the data to that new device?" Of course, by then, I'm sure this will not be an issue. I just needed a second point to make for effect.

But I do have some reservations about the whole 'cloud' only thing. It was bad enough they took the expandable memory away from us on this one. But then to elliminate the option for desktop sync too??

I know this is another topic all it's own, but personally, I'd rather have removable storage than a removable battery. Heck, you can always charge via car or wall, right? But, anyway, I digress.
    My bad, it wasn't Ed Colligan but it was a Palm employee that covered this.

See Mitch Allen's Facebook postings (post number 11): Mitch Allen: Keeping an Open Mind | Facebook

Charles, the Pre and webOS will migrate your data from Palm Desktop to the Pre and there will be a number of options for you to manage your data after it’s migrated. We are committed to making the transition easy for all Palm customers, especially those of you who have come to rely on it as an essential.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Nacho.
    Anytime!!
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It seems obvious to me that the "solution" is going to be instructions or a loader to get your data into gmail or another cloud based service not directly onto the phone.

They will let 3rd party providers do a desktop.
    I say they'll have missed the boat for a few reasons. Using a desktop sync should just be one option. Use the cloud if that is what you want, but allow the majority of users who've been trained to do desktop syncing keep doing it.

But palm is nuts to leave that up to a 3rd party app. They've developed an amazing phone with an innovative OS. How hard would it be to have quickly put together a desktop syncing program?

Are they with amazon or not? Apple has an advantage with an itunes store that offers movies, tv, etc. A desktop app will deliver customers over to amazon (in addition to any on phone app).

I don't care what they would call it..palmmedia sync..don't care..but let it sync PIM, give access to app store, and songs and media at amazon.

By not doing such a thing, palm isn't realizing all the revenue they can off this device. Such a thing kills a lot of birds with one stone. Takes care of sync concerns and gives their target market their preferred way (or option) to put media on it.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I say they'll have missed the boat for a few reasons. Using a desktop sync should just be one option. Use the cloud if that is what you want, but allow the majority of users who've been trained to do desktop syncing keep doing it.
    That is a valid point.

But palm is nuts to leave that up to a 3rd party app. They've developed an amazing phone with an innovative OS. How hard would it be to have quickly put together a desktop syncing program?
    I understand why they wouldn't undermine one of their biggest selling points by giving users a way to circumvent it.

Are they with amazon or not? Apple has an advantage with an itunes store that offers movies, tv, etc. A desktop app will deliver customers over to amazon (in addition to any on phone app).

I don't care what they would call it..palmmedia sync..don't care..but let it sync PIM, give access to app store, and songs and media at amazon.

By not doing such a thing, palm isn't realizing all the revenue they can off this device. Such a thing kills a lot of birds with one stone. Takes care of sync concerns and gives their target market their preferred way (or option) to put media on it.
    I don't understand why allowing users to buy from Amazon from anywhere using the 3G network and also allowing users to transfer media through a USB cable is not being "with Amazon." I also don't understand how a desktop PIM application would help them to be with Amazon.

I don't know if you've used Amazon Unbox or the Amazon MP3 downloader, but they'll work just fine with the Pre. There's no need for a desktop PIM application when it comes to Amazon content.

completely agree -- (and have said so from day one, literally).

One can only hope that in the months since the intro more rational minds have rethought their hostility to their legacy, their old customer's data, and those customer's familiarity with their former ways of doing things
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    One can only hope that in the months since the intro more rational minds have rethought their hostility to their legacy, their old customer's data, and those customer's familiarity with their former ways of doing thingss

Palm was sick and dying and as part of the radical surgery used to save it (or to try and save it) all of the managers and chief engineers have been replaced, so I doubt it. Palm OS and legacy support have slipped out of the organisational memory.
    The bottom line is if you're out in the field and your phone becomes scrap for whatever reason, it seems like you're pretty much screwed to get a majority of your info back on your phone besides your "cloud based" PIM info. My Centro could take a bath, get crushed or whatever, and I could pop out the card and be COMPLETELY up and running in minutes after having a new phone.

I can see the app store having a record of purchases to allow me to re-download to a new phone. I see the syncing of my PIM info via the cloud. But then what? That leaves a lot more that is now officially gone until I get back to my PC.

All they mentioned was a migration of info to the Pre. That statement said nothing about continual syncing of all the info.

Also, yet another topic that's been covered in many threads if one would do a search. These are questions that all came up during the CES launch.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Ah yes the local hot sync issue. All the usual suspects have come or will come to this thread. Yes, these issues have been discussed at length elsewhere, but PLEASE BERD, DONT CLOSE THIS thread with your own recap see:http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1562050

This is an important issue.
    Last edited by eekinsman; 02/25/2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: tried to fix link
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The bottom line is if you're out in the field and your phone becomes scrap for whatever reason, it seems like you're pretty much screwed to get a majority of your info back on your phone besides your "cloud based" PIM info. My Centro could take a bath, get crushed or whatever, and I could pop out the card and be COMPLETELY up and running in minutes after having a new phone.
    Wait...you're out "in the field" and away from any PCs to access backup/cloud data, but you have access to a Sprint store to get a new phone and they have plenty of Pre phones in stock? That scenario doesn't sound...realistic to me.

I can see the app store having a record of purchases to allow me to re-download to a new phone. I see the syncing of my PIM info via the cloud. But then what? That leaves a lot more that is now officially gone until I get back to my PC.
    What more would you have to have right then? The live MP3 bootlegs of My Bloody Valentine at Coachella? That can't wait? Also, why are you "out in the field" without a PC? You can't present Powerpoint presentations on any phone. I doubt you'll be reading hefty manuals at night on a 3-inch screen for edits. Company custom apps that you have to install won't install on a mobile OS.

I just can't see somebody with a lot of important data these days putting it all on their phone with no backup save an SD card...that's also inside the phone!
    Nothing I say sounds realistic to you, and I don't care for any more back and forth with you. But I've done it three times with my Centro's while traveling in CA and locally twice. Why would I expect a different level of service with the Pre? In Cali my phone got smashed. Walked into a Sprint service center and walked out with a new phone that I popped my card in and went on my way. When the d-pad broke, I walked in to a store, popped out my card, popped it into a new one and was back up and running in minutes. The last one was some odd hardware glitch that sent it into an endless loop upon doing something (forget now) even after a hard reset. Same thing, new phone, popped card in, walked out fully up and running. You sit behind a desk all day. Please refrain from thinking you know how sales reps and others that don't have an office use their phones on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wait...you're out "in the field" and away from any PCs to access backup/cloud data, but you have access to a Sprint store to get a new phone and they have plenty of Pre phones in stock? That scenario doesn't sound...realistic to me.
    I'm not doing formal presentations. I've got a surgeons attention for a few minutes while in the OR or catching him between patients. I've shown PDF's and PPT's on my Centro when needing to make a quick point or point out something in a technique guide in a surgery. The Pre with its large screen just begs for more use without needing to break out the laptop.

And who's to say I won't be able to make use of a video out cable(like on many cameras) to connect the Pre to a monitor, or possibly use a presentation display that has built in wifi (which are out there)? Again, please stop telling my how I should and shouldn't use my device. You have no clue what you're talking about as you know nothing about my job or probably many sales/field reps jobs. You admit to not seeing why we would have important data on the phone. We've already established you don't believe using a $99 phone (the Centro) and a netbook is professional and wouldn't be caught dead using them with a client. So it just shows you have no clue how a sales rep operates on a day in day out basis. So to sound redundant, please stop making assumptions and throwing in your opinion when you admittedly don't understand how and why we would use our devices the way we do. You don't use it that way and we get it. We use it our way, and you don't get it.

And this will be my only response to this as I will not hijack another thread to turn into a personal back and forth like we have in the past. I don't even understand why you would prod yet again. But there you go...

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What more would you have to have right then? The live MP3 bootlegs of My Bloody Valentine at Coachella? That can't wait? Also, why are you "out in the field" without a PC? You can't present Powerpoint presentations on any phone. I doubt you'll be reading hefty manuals at night on a 3-inch screen for edits. Company custom apps that you have to install won't install on a mobile OS.

I just can't see somebody with a lot of important data these days putting it all on their phone with no backup save an SD card...that's also inside the phone!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Nothing I say sounds realistic to you, and I don't care for any more back and forth with you. But I've done it three times with my Centro's while traveling in CA and locally twice. Why would I expect a different level of service with the Pre? In Cali my phone got smashed. Walked into a Sprint service center and walked out with a new phone that I popped my card in and went on my way. When the d-pad broke, I walked in to a store, popped out my card, popped it into a new one and was back up and running in minutes. The last one was some odd hardware glitch that sent it into an endless loop upon doing something (forget now) even after a hard reset. Same thing, new phone, popped card in, walked out fully up and running. You sit behind a desk all day. Please refrain from thinking you know how sales reps and others that don't have an office use their phones on a daily basis.
    Actually, I don't have a desk. I have a cube I occasionally use at my current assignment, and travel all of the time (but much less so in the past several months, as my wife and I are raising our first child). Nice wrong assumptions there, pally.

But when I have traveled and worked with incoming sales reps for various vendors and of the same companies I have worked for, not ONE traveled without a laptop. NOT ONE. They all had smartphones, too. (Blackberries way out in front, then even distribution between WM and Treos)

In all of these cases, you could've taken a laptop to the store, get the new phone, and sync it in minutes. Or wait until you got back to your laptop at whatever remote office you are at. If you have to excuse yourself from a client to go to a Sprint store to get the new phone, you can perform a sync before you rejoin them. And in all of your scenarios, the damage your phone suffered could've been suffered by your SD card, or IT could've failed while the rest of the phone remained intact. THEN WHAT? Oh, right...you would do a desktop sync with a new card.

I'm not doing formal presentations. I've got a surgeons attention for a few minutes while in the OR or catching him between patients. I've shown PDF's and PPT's on my Centro when needing to make a quick point or point out something in a technique guide in a surgery. The Pre with its large screen just begs for more use without needing to break out the laptop.
    Breaking out a laptop is such an arduous task? It takes so much effort an trouble to lift a screen and press a power button while holding it up and placing it on a desk? You've never seen a 13-inch or a 10-inch or a 8.9-inch netbook?

And who's to say I won't be able to make use of a video out cable(like on many cameras) to connect the Pre to a monitor, or possibly use a presentation display that has built in wifi (which are out there)?
    Uh, the company's projector you are presenting at is to say you won't since it will have a standard VGA connector at the end of their standard cable for standard laptops in almost all cases. I've traveled to a LOT of corporate offices, and this is the case for pretty much every medium-to-large firm I have ever worked at. Yes, it's anecdotal evidence, but corporate office buildings are strikingly similar on this particular aspect of projections. Actually, a lot of presentation is done remotely with LiveMeeting and similar apps these days. Again, not a smartphone task at all.

Again, please stop telling my how I should and shouldn't use my device. You have no clue what you're talking about as you know nothing about my job or probably many sales/field reps jobs.
    Wrong.

You admit to not seeing why we would have important data on the phone.
    I said no such thing. I said why would have it there, and nowhere else accessible to you except for the card on the very phone. The data simply can't be that important. Anyone pickpocketing you or completely destroying your device has now removed every instance of that data in existence.

We've already established you don't believe using a $99 phone (the Centro) and a netbook is professional and wouldn't be caught dead using them with a client.
    No, I like netbooks just fine. They're laptops, and fit right alongside my point regarding remote travel and laptops.

So it just shows you have no clue how a sales rep operates on a day in day out basis. So to sound redundant, please stop making assumptions and throwing in your opinion when you admittedly don't understand how and why we would use our devices the way we do. You don't use it that way and we get it. We use it our way, and you don't get it.
    Actually, I get it just fine, and I am not telling you how to use your device. I just questioned that you'd be "in the field" with access to a Sprint store, but not a PC. There's way more of the latter pretty much anywhere in the country than there are the former. Not an assumption or an opinion.

And this will be my only response to this as I will not hijack another thread to turn into a personal back and forth like we have in the past. I don't even understand why you would prod yet again. But there you go...
    Prod? I said your scenario sounds unrealistic, which it is. And I asked some follow up questions. No personal insults. Nothing antagonistic. You don't wanna respond again? Fine. Let's move on.
    "travel" and daily running around are different animals. I'm away at a conference, I bring my laptop. I run around all day covering surgeries, running instruments and such, I don't want to be bothered with my laptop. There are two sprint stores that I pass all the time in my daily running around, one thankfully at a mall at an intersection of two major highways and the turnpike I travel daily. It's very easy to pop in on the way to or inbetween stops. For some odd reason you can't agree to disagree. This is how I've been using my phone. It works. It works well. It should work even better with the Pre with its added capabilities yet in some cases it won't because of things they took away. Oh well. I'll live, but I'll also rant because this is a discussion forum. Every one of our back and forths have just deteriorated to antagonistic proprortions and it's just not worth it (many have pointed that fact out). So enjoy your cube and good luck with the first child, seriously. Have a buddy on his fourth and would have more if he and his wife were younger. I think they're nuts...haha.

Just FYI...medical surgical sales can be a different animal than many other sales fields. Not good or bad, just different. My mom's boyfriend sells/leases railroad cars. Outside of basic sales skills, his day to day is greatly different than mine. I've sold in four different industries and the medical/surgical realm is different than all of them. There are certain basics that carry over, but if you asked most that sell in that industry, they live off of their phone, carrying laptops can be a hassle, and the only reason they use an office is to drop off paperwork and get product and instruments. They have no cube, no pc to hook up to except their home one. Their cell phone is their main contact number especially since no one carries a beeper any more yet many are on call 24/7. If I'm about and about socially, I could have to run to work and be fully functional without my briefcase. I have a card reader I'll pop my microSD card into to print out whatever paperwork I'll need at a PC in the OR. Won't always have net access because it's sometimes restricted and some get a little edgey if you start plugging things (like phones) into their PC's. Can't even download firefox or a new version of IE on their computers. I can start my day at 5am and not get home till 10 at night. I can drive 10 miles in a day or 300. I can do work at 5 different hospitals or one. Once in awhile we do lunches and such which is a down and dirty 20 minutes while eating with the doc demonstrating a new product while you pay for lunch for the whole office (such a scam, but it's relationship building). Most are gadget geeks (even if they are not always up on the latest and greatest) because most orthopods are all about their toys, even in the OR. So showing someone a quick ppt or pdf presentation on a sleek new phone would have more wow factor than breaking out the laptop. Doing it in the OR while they are scrubbing in is even cooler. I used to use ACT, plan my days with set appointments, make use of lead services and the Thomas Registry and all that blah blah blah. Those days are ancient history now. I don't know one rep that doesn't live off of their Palm, BB, WinMo phone , or even iPhone. Though the iPhone users seem to be more about their cool programs which have zero to do with work and all about show.

And who's to say I won't be able to make use of a video out cable(like on many cameras) to connect the Pre to a monitor, or possibly use a presentation display that has built in wifi (which are out there)? Again, please stop telling my how I should and shouldn't use my device. You have no clue what you're talking about as you know nothing about my job or probably many sales/field reps jobs. You admit to not seeing why we would have important data on the phone. We've already established you don't believe using a $99 phone (the Centro) and a netbook is professional and wouldn't be caught dead using them with a client. So it just shows you have no clue how a sales rep operates on a day in day out basis. So to sound redundant, please stop making assumptions and throwing in your opinion when you admittedly don't understand how and why we would use our devices the way we do. You don't use it that way and we get it. We use it our way, and you don't get it.

Crog don't let the person upset you, you are not hijacking the thread someone else is. They is a vocal minority of one as dozens of us have already noted.

He thinks that most top smartphones devices launched this year are limited to 8 gb or less when all but pre are 16 gb or scalable to 32.
    Let's all settle down. First, I think the "no desktop sync" opinion has been sufficiently aired ad nauseum. I understand people's needs. I also understand the advantages of the cloud.

More importantly, no one currently knows for sure, what the local sync options will be either from Palm or a third party, so any assumption that something will or won't be provided is just Pre-mature.

Now that both sides have had their say in multiple threads, let's just wait or discuss other things during silly season.
    Sprint Treo 755p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast