Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    "travel" and daily running around are different animals. I'm away at a conference, I bring my laptop. I run around all day covering surgeries, running instruments and such, I don't want to be bothered with my laptop. There are two sprint stores that I pass all the time in my daily running around, one thankfully at a mall at an intersection of two major highways and the turnpike I travel daily. It's very easy to pop in on the way to or inbetween stops. For some odd reason you can't agree to disagree. This is how I've been using my phone. It works. It works well. It should work even better with the Pre with its added capabilities yet in some cases it won't because of things they took away. Oh well. I'll live, but I'll also rant because this is a discussion forum. Every one of our back and forths have just deteriorated to antagonistic proprortions and it's just not worth it (many have pointed that fact out). So enjoy your cube and good luck with the first child, seriously. Have a buddy on his fourth and would have more if he and his wife were younger. I think they're nuts...haha.
    First off, you sound like a cool cat, and I sincerely apologize if I've been antagonizing you. I'm not a stalker, but I am genuinely befuddled by the rather specific dilemma a non-SD device presents to you.

I don't think you're ranting at all, actually. I can understand the frustration of everything seeming so right, and the one thing they take is the one thing you really want. I get that. Still, I think there are workarounds that don't require a full-sized laptop for you and the Pre. If not, keep what works for you. I'm sorry if I have ever implied otherwise. Lots of PalmOS diehards are here, and I've repeatedly said to them that they should stick with the Treos, buy spares, and enjoy it. Sounds like you...might be in the same boat. We will see.

Just FYI...medical surgical sales can be a different animal than many other sales fields. Not good or bad, just different. My mom's boyfriend sells/leases railroad cars. Outside of basic sales skills, his day to day is greatly different than mine. I've sold in four different industries and the medical/surgical realm is different than all of them. There are certain basics that carry over, but if you asked most that sell in that industry, they live off of their phone, carrying laptops can be a hassle, and the only reason they use an office is to drop off paperwork and get product and instruments. They have no cube, no pc to hook up to except their home one. Their cell phone is their main contact number especially since no one carries a beeper any more yet many are on call 24/7. If I'm about and about socially, I could have to run to work and be fully functional without my briefcase. I have a card reader I'll pop my microSD card into to print out whatever paperwork I'll need at a PC in the OR. Won't always have net access because it's sometimes restricted and some get a little edgey if you start plugging things (like phones) into their PC's. Can't even download firefox or a new version of IE on their computers. I can start my day at 5am and not get home till 10 at night. I can drive 10 miles in a day or 300. I can do work at 5 different hospitals or one. Once in awhile we do lunches and such which is a down and dirty 20 minutes while eating with the doc demonstrating a new product while you pay for lunch for the whole office (such a scam, but it's relationship building). Most are gadget geeks (even if they are not always up on the latest and greatest) because most orthopods are all about their toys, even in the OR. So showing someone a quick ppt or pdf presentation on a sleek new phone would have more wow factor than breaking out the laptop. Doing it in the OR while they are scrubbing in is even cooler. I used to use ACT, plan my days with set appointments, make use of lead services and the Thomas Registry and all that blah blah blah. Those days are ancient history now. I don't know one rep that doesn't live off of their Palm, BB, WinMo phone , or even iPhone. Though the iPhone users seem to be more about their cool programs which have zero to do with work and all about show.
    Fair enough. Thanks for informing me about the specifics of your field. It is very, very, very specialized, and unfortunately, that leaves your priorities near the bottom for manufacturers making mainstream products sometimes. I suspect you will see more and more guys switching to non-SD iPhones. I think you will find a way to stay up with the times that works for you. In the meantime, don't (well, you haven't thus far) let me get in the way of venting.
    like the limited 8gb's of memory or the lack of a card slot or the abandonment of the POS app support? Oh wait, they're all in the same boat...haha. How about touchstone? nope. that one's been beaten beyond belief too. I know, launch dates. Crap, there's only about two dozen of those threads flying around. Maybe a comparison with the iphone. Don't think that one's been done yet
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    Now that both sides have had their say in multiple threads, let's just wait or discuss other things during silly season.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    crogs571 is not the only one who's ever traveled with a smartphone and no laptop. I went to China last year without my MacBook pro. I only carried a USB flash drive with my presentation on it. Good thing my GSM Centro had a card backup, because I had to restore a file that had become corrupted.

With a device potentially as powerful as the Pre, I'd think even more people would choose to leave their laptops at home on occasion.
    I think palm would tell you to get the Treo Pro..
    I hate to think about it, but that just might be the best option eventually when my Centro dies. (Even though words cannot express my loathing of anything related to Windows).

Still, how hard could it have been to fit a card slot into the Pre's design?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think palm would tell you to get the Treo Pro..
    Besides the benifits of micro expansion card, an exsisting network of 3rd-party apps and desktop sync, what other advantages does the Pro have over the Pre (for the business user)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    Besides the benifits of micro expansion card, an exsisting network of 3rd-party apps and desktop sync, what other advantages does the Pro have over the Pre (for the business user)?
    Proven technology with an in-place support infrastructure.
    If the Pre is successful, this schism (between consumer-oriented non-SD devices and business-oriented SD devices) will continue to grow, and I can see it spreading to other companies too (After all, the market leader has made where they stand pretty clear).
  9.    #29  
    Well, in that case, would not the Pro be a better (blanket) solution for the heavy business user? Taking into account the Windows platform (Pro) over WebOS (Pre).
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    Well, in that case, would not the Pro be a better (blanket) solution for the heavy business user? Taking into account the Windows platform (Pro) over WebOS (Pre).
    I would absolutely agree. The fact of the matter is that WebOS is a new, untested OS with no significant third-party app support yet. If your phone is your business/travel tool, I would absolutely wait a good while before even considering a Pre, just as I would've waited until the iPhone platform matured to where it is now before using it as a business phone.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I would absolutely agree. The fact of the matter is that WebOS is a new, untested OS with no significant third-party app support yet. If your phone is your business/travel tool, I would absolutely wait a good while before even considering a Pre, just as I would've waited until the iPhone platform matured to where it is now before using it as a business phone.
    Aghhh... Not at all what I wanted to hear. I'm chomping at the bit as it is. I just don't think I could bare to wait another 9 months to get one. (assuming they'll put out a 16gig version with other added goodies by Christmas)

Though I own my own company, I'm by no means a heavy business user. So this phone - in any encarnation - would for the most part still suit me just fine. Still the thought of it being out-paced within a year by it's successor makes me a bit edgy.
    If its successor doesn't outpace it, that's a very bad thing for Palm.

But notice I said "business/travel tool", which I mean to say that use most of the phone functionality and third-party apps for business purposes. Some PalmOS lifers here are like that, and they're understandably the ones most reluctant to hop onboard right now.

But if you use your phone primarily as a PIM/Scheduler to keep you on track for appointments, meetings, and the like, then Pre is absolutely good to go out of the box PROVIDED that it lives up to what Palm demoed at CES and since.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...But if you use your phone primarily as a PIM/Scheduler to keep you on track for appointments, meetings, and the like, then Pre is absolutely good to go out of the box PROVIDED that it lives up to what Palm demoed at CES and since.
    Disco!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12