1.    #1  
    I am not only as tired of the repetitive gripefests and release date guesses as the next guy, but MORE so.

So until this thing is released, I am going to do my part to stimulate productive and positive discussion here.

First up...skinning the new OS. We've jumped the gun on everything else, so I was wondering who already can see themselves skinning WebOS for a today screen or a different look or even a fake - ugh - iPhone theme?

For myself, I don't see it happening. The beauty of WebOS is its minimalism, and - for now - I want it to stay that way....maybe with a rotating cast of favorites on the launcher.

What say you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I am not only as tired of the repetitive gripefests and release date guesses as the next guy, but MORE so.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So until this thing is released, I am going to do my part to stimulate productive and positive discussion here.

First up...skinning the new OS. We've jumped the gun on everything else, so I was wondering who already can see themselves skinning WebOS for a today screen or a different look or even a fake - ugh - iPhone theme?

For myself, I don't see it happening. The beauty of WebOS is its minimalism, and - for now - I want it to stay that way....maybe with a rotating cast of favorites on the launcher.

What say you?
    If you're asking if I would purchase a Pre and then SKIN it to change the look of this brand new device, then the answer is "no way," - especially not so that it would look like an older, less pretty device.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Maybe upload my photo in the background but I wouldn't change the theme of it
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I like the minimalism of the Pre; therefore, I do not plan to trick up the home screen. However, I do see a usefulness to a "top card" or "joker" type of today screen that can be called up when needed using a particular gesture. The top card or joker would display plugins or widgets or gadgets or whatever. In fact, I bet it doesn't take long at all before a 3rd party comes out with such an application.

One thing I did notice, though, is that the wallpaper doesn't rotate when the user rotates the Pre. This seems like such a simple and obvious thing that I'm surprised Palm didn't implement it. I mean, even the Helio Ocean has a wallpaper that rotates when engaging the qwerty slider.

I would also like a picture speed dial tool, which I haven't seen in any of the videos of the Pre.
    No one wants to make it look like a Storm?
    I think icon replacements will be popular. But the main design focus behind the OS is to make it as unobtrusive as possible. So I dont see skinning as having much of a place.
    I wouldn't even want to change icons I don't think, unless its a real pretty complete set, not just a bunch of isolated icons that were changed. I wouldn't mind having control over colors though, like background color, font color, etc. I would also obviously like to be able to change the background wallpaper, but that's about as far as I would go with skinning.
  8.    #8  
    I wonder how long, tho, before people want weather widgets and such viewable even in locked status, or people think 5 icons on the quick launch bar isn't enough and want to hack a "double" wave with 10 or so.

If there's anything my time at this forum has taught me, it's that there are some REALLY specialized power users out there who need some seemingly small, seemingly innocuous functions available at all times, or it's a no go.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I wonder how long it would take for someone to skin the WebOS on the Pre to look like Palm OS?

I probably wouldn't skin mine, but I tend not to skin things in general anyways.