Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    Which causes Apple's current problem, AT&T's network is crowded. In certain area's, because of the iPhone, I can't get a connection with my Nokia N95. So all of a sudden I have a several hundred dollar lump in my pocket that no longer functions as a phone.

From people who use Sprint phones I haven't heard any complaints. It will be nice to be off the network that everyone uses. And well it will be nice to have a touch screen phone.
    I had this theory , network improves when you loose your customers :-)

Many of the wall street analysts are not paying attention to this, ATT's network is horrible in many pockets of the country.. California is worst affected. I call a friend of mine who lives in the valley. He is a long time ATT ( prior to that Cingular) customer. For the last two years , I noticed dropped calls almost 100% of my calls.

The issue with iPhone is , all these 15 million or so customers use the 3G data on a regular basis cramping the capacity. ATT seriously need to fix this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

Many of the wall street analysts are not paying attention to this, ATT's network is horrible in many pockets of the country.. California is worst affected. I call a friend of mine who lives in the valley. He is a long time ATT ( prior to that Cingular) customer. For the last two years , I noticed dropped calls almost 100% of my calls.

The issue with iPhone is , all these 15 million or so customers use the 3G data on a regular basis cramping the capacity. ATT seriously need to fix this issue.
    Can someone explain to me the rise of AT&T? Was it seriously just the iPhone? I just can't figure out where they became #1. I never thought their network was that great... I also have heard their CS is not the best to be found either. I understand that they have the capitol and swing to have the best phones hit their networks first... But is that all they got going for them? Because if that is so... Then I got a feeling Sprint may be in for a HUGE boost. Here's hoping anyways.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Pedro,
    That bugs me too.
    I can understand if Verizon rules, since their network is better, but ATT ???? It might because of the iPhone. iPhone not only got new customers but well paying (data plan) customers.

The trick is in the data plan.
    Do the math,

25 * 15 M new customers

You are talking 375 millions per month and about 4.5 billions per annum.

Assuming that many of ATT customers didn't have data plan prior to iPhone , thats a lot of money they made in the last two years.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Days since announcement 47

Working days since announcement 35 ( excluding president's day and MLK day).

Remaining days
    between today ( 02/23/2009) and first half of 2009 (06/30/2009) 124
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Can someone explain to me the rise of AT&T? Was it seriously just the iPhone? I just can't figure out where they became #1. I never thought their network was that great... I also have heard their CS is not the best to be found either. I understand that they have the capitol and swing to have the best phones hit their networks first... But is that all they got going for them? Because if that is so... Then I got a feeling Sprint may be in for a HUGE boost. Here's hoping anyways.
    Maybe AT&T gets an additional boost because they bundle their cell service with landline service or Dish Network or U-Verse. I know some people who got AT&T service because they already have AT&T phone service or AT&T U-Verse... and those people inevitably get an iphone. I don't think any of the other providers have as attractive services to bundle with their cell service. I think you can get a discount on Sprint long distance if you're also a sprint PCS subscriber, but who uses landline long distance?
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Maybe AT&T gets an additional boost because they bundle their cell service with landline service or Dish Network or U-Verse. I know some people who got AT&T service because they already have AT&T phone service or AT&T U-Verse... and those people inevitably get an iphone. I don't think any of the other providers have as attractive services to bundle with their cell service. I think you can get a discount on Sprint long distance if you're also a sprint PCS subscriber, but who uses landline long distance?
    one more thing, besides the iPhone thing, ATT has some attractive phones and cheaper plans than Verizon. ATT has almost all of the must have business phones ( HTC, LGs, Samsungs , Nokias) and they have Sonyerricsson handsets too.

Take a look at the phones SPRINT offers and compare them with ATT.
    I am aware of the fact that CDMA lags GSM in handsets , but SPRINT is a NOSPRINT when it comes to handsets in the last two years.

I am pi#$#d off for a lack of true world phone , the one with CDMA and GSM in one piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Can someone explain to me the rise of AT&T? Was it seriously just the iPhone? I just can't figure out where they became #1.
    Mergers and acquisitions (actually, most of it by Cingular before rebranding to AT&T). You need to update your figures though, Verizon is the #1 company now since their acquisition of Alltel late last year.

Many of the wall street analysts are not paying attention to this, ATT's network is horrible in many pockets of the country..
    because the improvement is temporary. If I stop having tenants my rental real estate condition improves too. Less wear and tear. If you stop driving to work and stay home you use less gas.

These service companies work on efficiencies brought about by economies of scale.

Some increases in customers can create temporary problems but they fix more problems than they cause of anything but the short term.

1) capital markets care about growth for good reason. business that are contracting lose money and die. losing customers is never ever good if you need to keep raising money in capital markets like mobile providers need to in order to survive.

2) technology always changes. these carriers are not simply maintianing a fixed asset, they need to roll out new assets, net networks, new technologies to compete

3) on signal strength and capacity you specifically noted more customers is better. amplitude of customer nubmer and usage changes (decrease or increase)is inefficient but the more you are growing the easier fster and cheaper it is for the provider to compensate.

4) if att is botched because of iphone usage (and I use att a lot for contract jbs and think its coverage is slightly better than sprints) ..what do you think will happen to sprint now that it deeply focused on bringing more smartphones than ever to its users, including the most heavily "cloud "exploitative device to date, the Pre?
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    First of all, sprint lost to the tune of 10 million in last two years. They have to get about 20 something million customers to beat ATT. IMHO , that is not going to happen with Pre alone. ATT coverage is wide spread specially the 2.5 G one not the 3G.
    With Sprint , it issue is either you will have a strong coverage or you will have no coverage.
    I do see occasional dropped calls on SPRINT. Part of the solution lies in buying that FEMTO cell thing. I have the AIRAVE, and it works great. The issue is , AIRAVE only does the voice not the 3G. If they can open the 3G services via AIRAVE , its a huge improvement.

As per capital markets are concerned , I agree with you that revenue is seen as more important than the long term growth.
    If Sprint was able to roll out Wimax , I would say they are ahead of the competition. They could have gotten some buzz . May be new customers too.
    They tried in Baltimore, then went to Oregon.
    Wash D.C was the second major to get WiMAX by Dec 2008. But it never happened.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Days since announcement 48

Working days since announcement 36 ( excluding president's day and MLK day).

Remaining days
    between today ( 02/23/2009) and first half of 2009 (06/30/2009) 123
    I do see occasional dropped calls on SPRINT. Part of the solution lies in buying that FEMTO cell thing. I have the AIRAVE, and it works great. The issue is , AIRAVE only does the voice not the 3G. If they can open the 3G services via AIRAVE , its a huge improvement.

I agree the AIRAVE is awesome. I guess if you have a phone like the Pre with wi-fi in it, then getting 3G through the AIRAVE really wouldn't give you any benefit since the connection goes through your internet connection anyways.
    one more thing, besides the iPhone thing, ATT has some attractive phones and cheaper plans than Verizon. ATT has almost all of the must have business phones ( HTC, LGs, Samsungs , Nokias) and they have Sonyerricsson handsets too.

Take a look at the phones SPRINT offers and compare them with ATT.
    I am aware of the fact that CDMA lags GSM in handsets , but SPRINT is a NOSPRINT when it comes to handsets in the last two years.

I am pi#$#d off for a lack of true world phone , the one with CDMA and GSM in one piece.
    ding ding..we have a winner. That is Sprint's problem.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ding ding..we have a winner. That is Sprint's problem.
    I am hoping SPRINT would make the Treo Pro a true world phone.
    Wishful thinking :-)
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Days since announcement 49

Remaining days
    between today ( 02/23/2009) and first half of 2009 (06/30/2009) 120
    I'm a fan of this thread... don't know why.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'm scared that at some point we'll end up with a combination of numbers like: 4 8 15 16 23 42
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    First of all, sprint lost to the tune of 10 million in last two years. They have to get about 20 something million customers to beat ATT. IMHO , that is not going to happen with Pre alone. ATT coverage is wide spread specially the 2.5 G one not the 3G.
    With Sprint , it issue is either you will have a strong coverage or you will have no coverage.
    I think they are 25 million behind ATT

to the main point,
    a) lot of the loses were iden, a different technology. It is the nextel they are hemorrhaging that account for a huge amount of the loses. So actually they are losing revenue for engineering in place and already written off while not losing as much load on CDMA.

b) secondly these asset to support good coverage need maintenance, imporbment, and support. It actually has been rpeorted that large amoutn sof hte job curts were in netwrok support and hta t spurtned Spritn turnign to Ericcson for help on it snetowrk.

I do get you point on losing customers perhaps helping network signal for remaining customers, I just think it is temporary and is more likely to mean worse service in the medium term.

The place I eat lunch and have meetings in every Tuesday is marketedly less crowed by half the past couple of months. I am getting my food faster and the wait staff is more attentive. So service quality is up. But I don't think it is a good sign and if I was in a stakeholder relationship, like I am with Sprint, and had promised to use them for two years I would be personally concerned at the loss of customers since I know that while some overheads are elastic, some are not.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Days since announcement 52

Remaining days
    between today ( 02/23/2009) and first half of 2009 (06/30/2009) 119
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    i'm scared that at some point we'll end up with a combination of numbers like: 4 8 15 16 23 42
    LOL Brilliant! I recognized those numbers - I think the Pre was developed on an island from the future
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I think they are 25 million behind ATT

to the main point,
    a) lot of the loses were iden, a different technology. It is the nextel they are hemorrhaging that account for a huge amount of the loses. So actually they are losing revenue for engineering in place and already written off while not losing as much load on CDMA.

b) secondly these asset to support good coverage need maintenance, imporbment, and support. It actually has been rpeorted that large amoutn sof hte job curts were in netwrok support and hta t spurtned Spritn turnign to Ericcson for help on it snetowrk.

I do get you point on losing customers perhaps helping network signal for remaining customers, I just think it is temporary and is more likely to mean worse service in the medium term.

The place I eat lunch and have meetings in every Tuesday is marketedly less crowed by half the past couple of months. I am getting my food faster and the wait staff is more attentive. So service quality is up. But I don't think it is a good sign and if I was in a stakeholder relationship, like I am with Sprint, and had promised to use them for two years I would be personally concerned at the loss of customers since I know that while some overheads are elastic, some are not.
    Agreed , if they can get about couple of million new customers from the Pre launch , thats a good beginning.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast