Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    my co-worker suggested that palm needs to give us the date of when they plan to give us the release date

I'm seriously starting to get tired of waiting to even find out how long I have to wait, and have started looking at other devices.

oh yeah....wait wait wait wait, I didn't feel like I had used that word enough.
    I asked the sprint rep while on the phone trying to fix my 800 today and was told around June.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Updated as of 02/24/2009

Days since announcement 45

Working days since announcement 33 ( excluding president's day and MLK day).

Remaining days
    between today ( 02/23/2009) and first half of 2009 (06/30/2009) 126
    please stop .... please
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Days since announcement 46

Working days since announcement 34 ( excluding president's day and MLK day).

Remaining days
    between today ( 02/23/2009) and first half of 2009 (06/30/2009) 125
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    I'm seriously starting to get tired of waiting to even find out how long I have to wait, and have started looking at other devices.
    I guess I don't get why you wouldn't look at other devices anyway. There seems to be this idea here that Palm can only thrive if they rush this thing to market before other, more impressive devices come out. But that's never made a difference.

If these devices come out and are so amazing, people will simply return Pre phones and leave Sprint within the 30-day window anyway. If they come out more than 30 days later, then they'll sell them on Craigslist and leave Sprint after that.

Palm can't change or control any of that. but they can make the Pre as effective, bug-free, and easy-to-use as possible, and they can only do that with time and testing. Giving a release date before completing that process is meaningless, and would be as accurate as someone throwing a dart at a calendar showing March-June and claiming wherever it lands is the release date.
    I look at other devices anyways...pre or no pre

I've yet to see anything to get me off the Pre bandwagon. You can take a WM phone and keep adding things to it, but at the end of the day, it's still a WM phone. (i've no desire for a touch resistive screen wm phone with no kb and i hate landscape sliders) Same with BB's. Same with the iphone and its limitations. The iphone still won't have a kb, still won't multitask, still won't have basic features.

To be quite honest, if i wasn't using the iphone (and never heard of the Pre), i'd go back to a centro or consider the Treo Pro. Even with the other new phones coming this year as they're garbage. But the Pre announcement kind of changed things.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess I don't get why you wouldn't look at other devices anyway. There seems to be this idea here that Palm can only thrive if they rush this thing to market before other, more impressive devices come out. But that's never made a difference.

If these devices come out and are so amazing, people will simply return Pre phones and leave Sprint within the 30-day window anyway. If they come out more than 30 days later, then they'll sell them on Craigslist and leave Sprint after that.

Palm can't change or control any of that. but they can make the Pre as effective, bug-free, and easy-to-use as possible, and they can only do that with time and testing. Giving a release date before completing that process is meaningless, and would be as accurate as someone throwing a dart at a calendar showing March-June and claiming wherever it lands is the release date.
    Well said, its best if PALM / SPRINT work on it to make a bug free phone rather than rush a release.

One would assume that the product is at least 90% complete by the time of announcement.
    The issue here is lack of information from PALM.

The product announcement is out, we all know what it can do.
    All they need to do it release some more information / video / article ... on a monthly basis. That would ease the pain of the fans.
    The product announcement is out, we all know what it can do.
    All they need to do it release some more information / video / article ... on a monthly basis. That would ease the pain of the fans.
    It's been a month, and in that time, they:

- put up a Meet Pre video on the Palm site.
    - put up the entire CES presentation broken down by chapters in high quality video.
    - added new screens there showing software views we didn't see at CES.
    - have given hands-on demos to select industry guys like Noah from PhoneDog and Google's VP of development, who have gone on to rave about it publicly.
    - Announced Flash support.
    - Scheduled a webcast for WebOS developers for today.
    - Lent support to PreDeveloper camps across the country.

Seems like they aren't slacking.
    :-).

Lack of news is killing everyone.
    PALM should release another video of a brand new feature.
    If it were a working emulator for OS5, I bet it would spike interest higher than in January.

While Palm diddles, you can be assured that the geeks in Cupertino aren't just going to surrender. Add a keyboard, cut and paste, and multitasking to the iPhone and they'd beat the Pre. If you are, pardon the pun, comparing apples with Apples on a completely different OS, the core (sorry) of Apple's base is much stronger and better funded than WebOS right now. There are TWO hallway kiosks at my neighborhood mall that sell NOTHING but iPod crap. Palm needs more than vaporware, and they need another model for the "high end" which is technical people and to encourage a robust developer community by offering enough options and memory to do more than an existing low-end iPhone.

Release the Pre and get cracking on the Post-Pre, Palm!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    If countless actual GSM customers of the iPhone complaining about cut and paste, MMS, a hardware keyboard and multitasking isn't enough in two years to get these features added, why would the mere announcement of a CDMA phone with them exclusively on another carrier make a difference?

Did Apple make any adjustments for the G1? For the Storm? Any of the Diamonds or Touch Pros?
    If countless actual GSM customers of the iPhone complaining about cut and paste, MMS, a hardware keyboard and multitasking isn't enough in two years to get these features added, why would the mere announcement of a CDMA phone with them exclusively on another carrier make a difference?

Did Apple make any adjustments for the G1? For the Storm? Any of the Diamonds or Touch Pros?
    The G1, Storm, Diamond, and Touch Pro?? Do you think any of these phones were really a threat? I bet a lot of iPhone users left the iPhone for the Storm.

I hope for Palm's sake, your comparison is an invalid one. If the Pre makes the same Splash in the market The Storm does, we are all in real trouble.
    Have to agree. Apple is pretty arrogant and will continue to do what they do. I think its wishful thinking to expect a kb, cut and paste, or multitasking on the iphone.

All apple has to do is announce 32gb and they'll have a line outside the store. Pretty crazy right now, but that party won't last forever as the competitors with more features get better with the eye candy. No reason for apple to worry about Pre right now.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

APPLE is not a dumb company, we don't really know what they are working on currently.

But looking at the features and platform of iPhone, I think they can add all of the above in the next version. Some strange reason they think cut and paste are not needed.Its not about technical thing , its about what APPLE thinks about the features. They have got excellent technical team to pull of these things in the next upgrade. After all , the Pre has some of teh bright APPLE alumni behind it too.

I knew of this story about how fast APPLE worked with Intel during the Core 2 processor upgrade on Macs. APPLE was the most demanding customer they (Intel) have ever seen. Intel used to think they are the brainiest of all tech people , but APPLE is brainy and agile.

Few of the core2 chip requests that APPLE put out for Intel were incorporated in the chipset in a rather quick time and given back to APPLE for testing. Intel thought it might be some weeks before they get a response back. They were surprised to see APPLE complete the test and showed them another laundry list in very quick time forcing Intel to work hard and match their pace.

APPLE can easily pull all of the stuff or might secretly working on it.
    APPLE is not a dumb company, we don't really know what they are working on currently.

But looking at the features and platform of iPhone, I think they can add all of the above in the next version. Some strange reason they think cut and paste are not needed.Its not about technical thing , its about what APPLE thinks about the features. They have got excellent technical team to pull of these things in the next upgrade. After all , the Pre has some of teh bright APPLE alumni behind it too.

I knew of this story about how fast APPLE worked with Intel during the Core 2 processor upgrade on Macs. APPLE was the most demanding customer they (Intel) have ever seen. Intel used to think they are the brainiest of all tech people , but APPLE is brainy and agile.

Few of the core2 chip requests that APPLE put out for Intel were incorporated in the chipset in a rather quick time and given back to APPLE for testing. Intel thought it might be some weeks before they get a response back. They were surprised to see APPLE complete the test and showed them another laundry list in very quick time forcing Intel to work hard and match their pace.

Possible, yes? But likely when a bunch of other flagship handsets launched from much bigger companies on much healthier carriers, and Apple didn't bat an eye toward them? No.

Yes, some iPhone will arrive with some additional features in the near future. But as a reaction to the mere announcement of the Pre, when Palm doesn't even have a finished OS or SDK, or even an assured chance of surviving the next several years? Doubtful.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Have to agree. Apple is pretty arrogant and will continue to do what they do. I think its wishful thinking to expect a kb, cut and paste, or multitasking on the iphone.

All apple has to do is announce 32gb and they'll have a line outside the store. Pretty crazy right now, but that party won't last forever as the competitors with more features get better with the eye candy. No reason for apple to worry about Pre right now.
    Agree completely, announce a 32gb one , and you will see a line :-) ,

Also , APPLE could have easily sold the 16gb one for the price of 8gb.

Instead they charge 100 bucks more !!!!!
    You can get a 8 gig chip for 10 bucks.

But rest assured , competition is catching up like never before. They had a cake walk with iPod but it will not be the case with iPhone.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Possible, yes? But likely when a bunch of other flagship handsets launched from much bigger companies on much healthier carriers, and Apple didn't bat an eye toward them? No.

Yes, some iPhone will arrive with some additional features in the near future. But as a reaction to the mere announcement of the Pre, when Palm doesn't even have a finished OS or SDK, or even an assured chance of surviving the next several years? Doubtful.
    We shall see.

Here is my take , I can possibly argue about every feature of the iPhone being implemented in other phones but not the multi touch. Why ? I don't know.
    Its because the competition is technically incapable or scared of the patent or whatsoever ?
    Pre is the first handset that did it.
    APPLE core strength is implementing a solid UI with even solid platform on a solidiest :-) hardware in rather quick time.

They do it quick and they do it tight ( not quick and dirty).

Some of that DNA is now gone into PALM courtesy Jon Rubinstein.
    We all know how smart Jobs is envisioning new ideas , in the same manner he knows to identify the right competition too.

IMHO , PALM is the real threat to APPLE.
    Not RIMM not NOKIA.
    Microsoft will always be late to the party. They had a good run in the PC business , but in Mobile , I doubt they will compete hard with APPLE.
    Last edited by gbp; 02/25/2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
    IMHO , PALM is the real threat to APPLE.
    Not RIMM not NOKIA.
    Microsoft will always be late to the party. They had a good run in the PC business , but in Mobile , I doubt they will compete hard with APPLE.
    on the last point, Microsoft has sold 50 million windows mobile, and the third largest handset maker just newly signed for WM.

I agree on the first part, but Apple has brand, they have ecosystem, when you mention MP3 on the handsets people ask and ask the same thing: can I move all my iTunes onto that? These are very hard things to overcome.

That is the thing, they have the brains -- and and a couple of orders of magnitude more resources.

The irony is what everyone seems to thinks is Pre's Achilles' Heel, Sprint, could be biggest worry for Apple with iPhone because of the net costs for the consumer with Pre on Sprint. The value on Sprint is going to get the OS out there.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    on the last point, Microsoft has sold 50 million windows mobile, and the third largest handset maker just newly signed for WM.
    Sure , but APPLE sold to the tune of 15 million in less than two years.
    IMHO , Microsoft is SLOOOOOOOOW.
    Ballmer said yesterday that Windows mobile 7 will be available next year.
    That is too late again IMHO ( with PALM , APPLE and Google staying fresh)
    APPLE works fast , look at their regular updates.
    Besides why on earth Microsoft doesn't provide updates to WinMo 6.1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The irony is what everyone seems to thinks is Pre's Achilles' Heel, Sprint, could be biggest worry for Apple with iPhone because of the net costs for the consumer with Pre on Sprint. The value on Sprint is going to get the OS out there.
    Sprint can benefit big if they don't make mistakes during the launch time.
    They can attract new customers with their low cost plans. Currently SPRINT is the only provider that offers more for your buck.
    I hope they won't mess this one like they did with Instinct.
    IMHO , Microsoft is SLOOOOOOOOW.
    1) The figure reported for wm 12 months ago was about 22 million cumulative for all wm. Looks like the number for 2008 woudl be strong growth at about 27 million or more for the single year.LG sells what 300 million phones year and just signed on with WM a couple of week ago for all their new smartphone lineup so 2010 looks stronger

2) I am not an enterprise IT manager but I do a lot of work with enterprise clients and know the culture. These are the groups who buy 1,000 to 2,000 units at a clip and plan for integration and deployment at much bigger numbers. They are not reading on gizmodo what is new and cool and thinking: "I just thave to put that in the hands of 1000, 2000, or 10,000 employesss and see what happens."

Besides why on earth Microsoft doesn't provide updates to WinMo 6.1 ?
    Because it is not in their interest to break things that are working and the manufactures aren't demanding it?
    Sprint can benefit big if they don't make mistakes during the launch time.
    What I was referring to was that actually while we are focused on features and specs and other comparisons with iphone, I think one of the biggest problem presented to Apple by Pre is its launch on Sprint which goes to it massive competative advantage on net price. Plans what make net price and if yo are talking about two iphones in a family, ATT could offer the iphone for free and it is till going to cost a huge amount more than Pre on Sprint over the two year contract.

so I was saying that it is ironic to read people saying: "great phone, too bad it is on Sprint" , when I think Apple might be worried that Pre being on Sprint gives Pre and Price advantage that Apple can't counter.
    Which causes Apple's current problem, AT&T's network is crowded. In certain area's, because of the iPhone, I can't get a connection with my Nokia N95. So all of a sudden I have a several hundred dollar lump in my pocket that no longer functions as a phone.

From people who use Sprint phones I haven't heard any complaints. It will be nice to be off the network that everyone uses. And well it will be nice to have a touch screen phone.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast