View Poll Results: How much will you pay for the Pre?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than $199

24 19.05%
  • $199-$299 (iphone price point)

79 62.70%
  • $300 or more

16 12.70%
  • I have no idea at this moment.

1 0.79%
  • Depends on the device (quality/features/reviews)

6 4.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If I renew for two years and can keep my SERO plan I dont mind if the pre is retailed at 399. I would reup under the premier plan and should get the phone for around 250. (the truth is I'll pay whatever they want but don't tell them that) Shhh
    I'll probably go up to $549 if they let me keep my SERO plan. If they let me use the $150 rebate for renewing my contract for two years I'd gladly pay $699 up front. If I can't keep my SERO plan then I would expect the phone to be free after rebate to keep the overall cost of ownership over the 2 year contract roughly the same.
    I'll pop for whatever they're asking. I just hope they don't pull an Apple and sell it to the early adopters for 599 and then drop it a couple hundred when sales dip.
    I will go up to $300/phone and no more than $120 monthly charge for 2 lines on one account.
    I'll probably get flak for saying this, but if it's priced much higher than a Blackberry or iPhone then they're taking some serious risks in this economic climate.

Since there's lots of hype on it, they'll probably release it in around $299 with a 2-year shackle. Then after they've skimmed the cream, they'll bring it down to $150-199 which is where it really belongs. The Treo 600 "retailed" at $600 over 5 years ago, advances in tech have brought down the price of parts a lot since then - they could probably sell this today for $99 like a Blackberry and come out ahead.

The real money is in those monthly premiums you are committing to, and $100 bucks either way to make you accept the leash for a couple more years probably doesn't matter much to Sprint.

I guarantee that after having the Pre for a month or two, it'll just be your cell phone.
    Last edited by Joad; 02/23/2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Under $200 each for me,and the wife.
    $149. Sprint will have a hard time setting the price higher than that.

Best Buy just offered the iPhone to their Premier Rewards Members for an additional $100 off (or $50 for anybody). The street price is now $99/150 for the 8 Gig iPhone . Sprint will have a hard time regaining some of those million subscribers that bolted over the last quarter with a price for the Pre more than 50% more than a $99 iPhone.

The real problem Sprint has is that whatever they price the Pre at, Apple will release their updated iPhone in mid summer. When that happens, iPhone will have all the hype and the Pre will be working through the bugs that come with a new phone and a new operating system. The market will swing fast.

Sprint will have about 3 months to capture those coveted 2 year contracts. They will likely set the price high for about a month, but then be forced to drop it pretty fast.

I'll wait for $149 if I have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I'll probably get flak for saying this, but if it's priced much higher than a Blackberry or iPhone then they're taking some serious risks in this economic climate.
    I agree. If you know what you are doing 8gb iphone is $99, 16gb is $200

In my opinion there is little chance Pre will be more than $200, I think $150 is sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DVF View Post
    Well, I called Sprint the other day to ask when the Pre would be released. The lady told me "sometime in March." She then went on to read me the specs even though I didn't ask =P. Then she got to the price and it looks like it's priced like what some others have said about the Pro. $549 retail minus $150 (2-year upgrade rebate) minus $100 (2-year contract rebate) minus $50 (palm rebate). It ends up being $249.

Given the history of info from Sprint, I have little idea if this is at all accurate. Please take with a grain of salt!
    No CSR has any pricing at all on it so she was guesing -- and basded on the exact final published price of the Pro (retail $549, final 249.)
  9.    #29  
    Personally I can't see myself spending more that $200 for the Pre. And $200 is really pushing it.

Of course if I can get it for less, why not.
    I'd possibly pay up to $250, but I'm really hoping for a $199 like the iPhone price. After hearing the the Pro is going to go for $249, I'm a bit concerned with the pricing of the Pre. We'll see, I suppose.

I really do want this phone though...after seeing the Palm Pre featured on FOX Business one morning last month, I just have become so interested in this phone ever since.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/video/ind...bcf2bf805d63dc

^ I love it =)
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 02/24/2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added link to the FOX Business video
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Just depends. You can get the iphone for 199 or 299 but you'll pay through the nose on the plan. If you want to pay through the nose on at&t for less features, more power to you.

These are two different products. Palm should be able to price higher and would be foolish to price it lower than the subpar competition.

And even on the iphone rumored out in July, the iphone will still pale in comparison when compared with the Pre.

Iphone: no stereo BT, no MMS, no physical kb, no multitasking, no tethering, no office apps, poor phone, poor notifications, no synergy, expensive plan, poor use of gps, bad kiddie perception, tied to itunes, bad email, use of two hands, no universal search, etc.

The iphone's main advantage is their itunes store/app store. Which won't stay that way. One could bring up storage, but that's really minor.

Why would anyone expect to get such a superior product for the same price as a beginner's multimedia iphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just depends. You can get the iphone for 199 or 299 but you'll pay through the nose on the plan. If you want to pay through the nose on at&t for less features, more power to you.
    the iphone is commonly available for less and can be had for $99 and $199 for 16 GB. You can expect some more general lower prices once pre comes out. Sprint can respond by tweaking their price buyt there will be continued price pressure

The iphone's main advantage is their itunes store/app store. Which won't stay that way. One could bring up storage, but that's really minor.
    Sorry, but the iPhones main advantage is not that, it's advantage is a MONSTER brand of unprecedented scale, reach and spread.

Secondly a broad user base is an inherent value to the buyer.

You may feel storage is minor, you may feel it should not be important, but it is an established metric in the minds of the consumer: 8gb vs 15 gb, more storage = newer and higher value.

there is no way Sprint will be able to price this higher than the iphone 8gb.
    Last edited by aero; 02/24/2009 at 09:22 AM.
    I'll go to 300...maybe...
    Alarm > 200 No Alarm < 200
    Price is important...the monthly one.
    At first I thought you said Prince is important......
    My eyes are tired
    I would not buy an iPhone. No physical keyboard, too big, less than complete sync with Exchange, AT&T plan too pricey, etc. Likewise, I won't buy a Blackberry ... I can't sync with my Exchange server unless I dedicate a PC at my office to syncing with my PDA or else by BES. That's not an option. So I would happily pay more for what a Pre will offer me than I would pay for either an iPhone or the best RIM can offer. I won't be suprised if the Pre is priced similar to the HTC Pro, which currently is $299 on Sprint. And I would happily pay that, or even more, for what the Pre would provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    At first I thought you said Prince is important......
    My eyes are tired
    the monthly prince ?? :-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I'd possibly pay up to $250, but I'm really hoping for a $199 like the iPhone price.
    My sentiments, exactly.
    I was reading the fine print for the Pre on Sprint.com; it looks like you will definitely need the Simply Everything Plan with data...

Kinda stinks. I wonder why you couldn't just have a standard plan with data as an add-on?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I would pay thousands of dollars for this phone. If it would cost $2000 I would hesitate for a moment and then buy it. If it would cost $4000 I would pass.

Many people are comparing subsidized prices and think that $100 is a big price difference. In reality, $100 is not that much when the real, unsubsidized prices are compared. And if you compare total cost of ownership, including the plans, then $100 is even less.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast