Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    so considering that the bestbuy page is showing that the Pro's non contract price is 699, i'm thinking it's safe to assume it'll cost more right??

damnit.

if it is...i may have to pass until i somehow can get it cheaper. argh

i'm getting that 699 price from this Palm "Pro" shows up in March Best Buy Mobile ad for $249 - Engadget
    Best Buy always has extra-expensive prices for non-contract phones.

If the Sprint Treo Pro is listed as $699 for no contract from Best Buy, it's safe to assume it'll be $599 no contract from Sprint.
    I doubt the Pre would be that expensive off contract.

As jHoff says, they do tend to be a bit more expensive off contract at Best Buy. I also said this in another thread, but I have a pic of a demo Pro at Best Buy, (that's where I am right now) I don't know how to upload it through this thread though. If someone is interested in showing it I can e mail the pic to you through my Blackberry.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    damnit...i have a feeling i may have to pay 9.75% sales tax by the time this damn thing comes out. argh

damn...i just got this 800w a few months ago...damnit
    If you figure that the current Touch Pro costs 579 without a contract at Sprint, you can see how Best Buy clearly inflates prices to an unreasonable level.

I am guessing the Pre will be priced in the same level as the Touch Pro without a contract, there really is no reason for it to be any higher.
    The iPhone G3 is over $800 without a contract in the markets where it is offered (France, Hong Kong). I would not expect the Pre to be much cheaper without a contract.
    is it possible that Plam, owning the OS and not leasing it from MS or Acccess, could get a lower price point for the phone??
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    cell phones are such a racket. I fail to understand why or how a smart phone costs more than a brand new netbook or low end lap top, especially after that model has been on the market for several years.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a stage AG or consumer group/class action lawsuit against manufacturers & the wireless operators.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    cell phones are such a racket. I fail to understand why or how a smart phone costs more than a brand new netbook or low end lap top, especially after that model has been on the market for several years.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a stage AG or consumer group/class action lawsuit against manufacturers & the wireless operators.

There was a thread discussing this topic. Some of the posters here are engineers. Their explanation was very simple- the smaller it gets; the more expensive it is to products. So, the notebooks has more space, requires less engineering and can use bigger physical items, which are more common and cheaper to produce. The opposite for a phone --- gettting all of that power into a smaller box requires smaller parts which are more expensive and more engineering
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    The iPhone G3 is over $800 without a contract in the markets where it is offered (France, Hong Kong). I would not expect the Pre to be much cheaper without a contract.
    And we know how Apple prices things. So an $800 iPhone is more than likely equal to a Palm product around $6-700. We see this with all other Apple products.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    getting all of that power into a smaller box requires smaller parts which are more expense and more engineering
    That's true, it's been true since the beginning of computers. When you're building a new computer, it goes like this:

Price
    Size
    Performance

Pick two when building your new computer. Fortunately with Moore's Law, the first two have decreased while the latter has increased, but still if you want a cutting edge small device you're going to pay for it. Or you can get a dirt cheap very fast system as long as you have a big space for it. You get the idea. Realistically you can get something that does all the Pre does for like $200, but you'd need a suitcase to carry it around.

And don't even say the iPhone is $199, because after your 2 year contract it's actually closer to $2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    That's true, it's been true since the beginning of computers. When you're building a new computer, it goes like this:

Price
    Size
    Performance

Pick two when building your new computer. Fortunately with Moore's Law, the first two have decreased while the latter has increased, but still if you want a cutting edge small device you're going to pay for it. Or you can get a dirt cheap very fast system as long as you have a big space for it. You get the idea. Realistically you can get something that does all the Pre does for like $200, but you'd need a suitcase to carry it around.

And don't even say the iPhone is $199, because after your 2 year contract it's actually closer to $2000.

I accept your logic -- the reality though is that it costs Jobs & Co. $173 to make the iPhone 3g (and this was more than 6 months ago -- it is still less now).

New 3G IPhone Costs $173 to Make: ISuppli

Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The mystery behind why the new iPhone is so cheap may be solved, with market researcher iSuppli saying it costs just US$173 to make...

,,,Apple did such a good job choosing components for the new 3G iPhone that it costs less to make than the old version, despite significant improvements, iSuppli said. The old iPhone cost $226 to make and did not include 3G nor GPS (global positioning system). Yet Apple sold the original iPhone for $499 initially.

The most expensive component on the 3G iPhone is the 8G bytes of NAND flash memory storage, at $22.80, followed by the touchscreen at $20, iSuppli estimates.

In all, the chips and other components in the handset add up to $164, and then iSuppli estimates Apple is paying another $9 for assembly of the device, for a total of $173...
    Last edited by BARYE; 02/23/2009 at 11:58 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I accept your logic -- the reality though is that it costs Jobs & Co. $173 to make the iPhone 3g (and this is more than 6 months ago -- it is still less now).

New 3G IPhone Costs $173 to Make: ISuppli

Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The mystery behind why the new iPhone is so cheap may be solved, with market researcher iSuppli saying it costs just US$173 to make...
    That 173 is for PARTS only. It doesn't include overhead like R&D and Advertising. So, it's a baseline estimate at best.
    the reality is that the price of an item can have next to no connection to its cost.

How much more did it cost to sew the $30,000 Marc Jacob's dress, than the $30 Walmart special ??

Price is determined by scarcity, demand, and marketting (of an image).

Cost is an intrinsic thing that the maker of a product must contend with when anticipating its market, its customers, and how much they'd be willing to pay -- given what the competion offers, and what the potential customers could afford.

Apple could have charged more than $199 for the iPhone 3g -- together with ATT they priced it to make their money primarily from the exorbitant subscription fee
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    That 173 is for PARTS only. It doesn't include overhead like R&D and Advertising. So, it's a baseline estimate at best.
    yes -- but that r&d etc is amortized over the run of the product -- the millions of iPhones spit out.

My hunch all along has been that Palm would take advantage of the intial "pre" Pre hype to maximize their profit (and Elevation Partner's) -- they are deep in the hole, who can blame them.

Apple did the same btw w/ the early iPhone -- then dramatically cut the cost after 3 months.
    Last edited by BARYE; 02/23/2009 at 03:01 PM.