Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TwitPic - Share photos on twitter

Is that some sort of sales display on the left?
    That is the retail packaging of the pre on the left.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Just looks like a random picture of one of the demos. The Pre is obviously just sitting on one of those projectors and the box for it is being displayed next to it. Nothing more to read into it.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Just looks like a random picture of one of the demos. The Pre is obviously just sitting on one of those projectors and the box for it is being displayed next to it. Nothing more to read into it.
    yup
    Agreed!! Show us the Pre retail box with a background of a BB or Sprint store,
    I bet the retail box won't look like that. So far all Sprint phones came in black and gold/yellow themed boxes, and I don't see them changing that any time soon.

Also, no Sprint branding on that box, only Palm.
    yep, doesn;t look like anything new here. But thank you for the pic
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    There was detailed discussion on the Pre packaging in the CES video. This photo appears to be from CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I bet the retail box won't look like that. So far all Sprint phones came in black and gold/yellow themed boxes, and I don't see them changing that any time soon.

Also, no Sprint branding on that box, only Palm.
    I am not so sure I'd bet on that. Palm has mentioned they are streamlining their packaging design to go "light". It's supposed to signal "simple" and "elegant" or some horse crap. I can't imagine Sprint wanting to take away from their flagship devices presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I bet the retail box won't look like that. So far all Sprint phones came in black and gold/yellow themed boxes, and I don't see them changing that any time soon..
    The Pre box is a copy of the Treo Pro box. What you saw in January iwas a Treo Pro box with Pre ino glued on top.

The treo pro box for GSM and Sprint CDMA Treo Pro is a new type box.

The sprint Treo pro box does not have the tradition Sprint theme.

http://www.wmexperts.com/sites/wmexp...009/01/Box.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    There was detailed discussion on the Pre packaging in the CES video. This photo appears to be from CES.
    Yes it is a copy of the Pro box out since fall.
    And boom goes the dynamite. Thanks for the back up aero.
    I thin we and Manny are all actually somewhat right. The "innovative" Pre box shown at CES was in fact pretty exactly what we saw on the GSM Pro months before. But with the sprint treo pro there is a sleeve with Sprints look that slips over the Treo pro/Pre box.

Here you can see the Sprint Treo Pro, which is the firs to use the pentagonal box with the Sprint sleeve in the backgorund.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...012309_007.jpg in a photo of Sprint Treo Pro packaging from January taken by RickMG.
    In one of the pre videos from CES they showed Peter Skillman VP of Product Design talking about the Pre's box and how important it was, and talks about the girl that designed it right in the beginning of this video. The Sprint Pre will have the same kind of box, just like the Pro, and Sprint will put their branding on it, but for all intents and purposes this isn't the normal black and yellow boxes Sprint has put all their phones in. I'm guessing Palm paid a nice penny to come up with an elegant box, but will allow Sprint to have some kind of Sprint branding on the box.

Ever since what Apple was able to do with AT&T and not have any branding on the phone, it looks like carriers might be giving the smartphone maker (especially with devices like the iPhone and the Pre a little more lead way in presentation). Sure the Pre does have Sprint branding, but it's pretty discrete (only on the back on the mirrored finish when the Pre is opened with access to the keyboard). Palm has repeatedly said that that the Pre has a very organic look, putting Sprint's branding front and center on the Pre on the plastic above the screen detracts from the organic look. I'm guessing that's why they added the Sprint name right onto the screen versus the plastic above the screen. The Pro and almost all Sprint phones have the Sprint branding front and center on the phone, the Pre is much more discrete compared to all of Sprint's other phones showing off the Sprint branding.

http://m.precentral.net/full-video-palm-pre-action

Palm has taken a lot of cues from Apple when it comes to the Pre. The presentation (box), the simplistic look of the Pre. The videos popping up on Palm's site for "Meet the Pre" are very Appleish. Palm is going to continue that route, and Palm is not going to let Sprint decide what the 1st impression people will get when opening the Pre with one of Sprint's standard, square black and yellow boxes. Sprint NEEDS the Pre, and it's pretty obvious Palm is making the decisions when it comes to branding on the Pre, as well as customer experience when opeing the Pre. 1st impressions are VERY important, and it looks like Palm has the upper hand in thirs regard.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 02/23/2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie, I got to disagree.

When you say Palm will not let Sprint decide first impression, quite the opposite is true. Sprint alone decides. That first impression will be in a sprint store, handed over by a Sprint employee, explained by a Sprint employee -- and that Pre box will have a sleeve dominated by Sprint logos. Sprint, not Palm, will be buying almost all the adverting.

Skillman was obviously making it up as he went along since it is the identical bx to the Pro, which would put its design in summer 08. And if you look carefully at the "unique" Pre box in the video stills, you can see in fact it is a Pro box with paper glued over it.

The GSM Pro box for mail order sales was just as we see the "new" Pre box. The Pro box for Sprint has a sprint sleeve completely covering it. It is likely the Pre will have the identical sleeve.

I don't think you can compare the situation with Apple and that with Palm.

Sprint will be totally dominating the identity and marketing of from shortly before release and throughout 2009.

Sprint has an order of magnitude more cash for advertsing, it runs advertsing in every major media, every metro newspaper, magazines, TV every single week. If you look at palms numbes, even post announcement you have to ask where is the cash for adverting and marketing?

Apple at the launch of the iphone had a top 5, and perhaps number one consumer electronics brand names. Their product, iPod, had one of the highest penetration rates of any piece of personal electronics, and was synonymous. Apple also has physical footprint with stores, Palm has none.

The organic look, simplicity and austerity you note are indeed Sprint hallmarks, just consider the black and white commercials. Everything about Sprint in its pitched new identity for over six months is simplicity, simple to understand plans, black and white commercials, etc. Even the plans are named "Simply"!

In terms of sprint logo placement,a) we don't know what the final will be; and b) the Sprint logo doesn't exactly confer brand value, as despite JD powers reports on existing customer satisfaction with call resolution, general buying public views of Sprint are still bottom of the barrel.

When you say first impressions are important, I agree. Unlike iphone, Not a single Palm employee will be handing a buyer the Pre, it will be Sprint employees, in a Sprint store.

I don't get the "Sprint needs the Pre". It is Palm and Pre that NEEDS Sprint. Sprint will be 99% of the main Palm new products for the next six months the Pre and the Pro. Palm will be 10 or 15% of Sprints phone sales.

If Palm could have sold this to Verizon or ATT instread - it would have.
    Last edited by aero; 02/24/2009 at 09:07 AM.
    I am sure Palm could have sold Pre to AT&T or Vzw, but due to Sprint's current situation, lack of a real flagship phone and history of success with Palm devices they must have gotten a far better deal from Sprint.

Dont underestimate how much Sprint needs this. The Pre might only make up 10% (or less) of their sales this year, but they need the shot in the arm a successful, visible high end exclusive will provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I am sure Palm could have sold Pre to AT&T or Vzw, but due to Sprint's current situation, lack of a real flagship phone and history of success with Palm devices they must have gotten a far better deal from Sprint.

Dont underestimate how much Sprint needs this. The Pre might only make up 10% (or less) of their sales this year, but they need the shot in the arm a successful, visible high end exclusive will provide.
    I don't underestimate its importance to Sprint, but in the equation of who need who more, it is demonstrably clear that it is Palm that Needs sprint more.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I don't underestimate its importance to Sprint, but in the equation of who need who more, it is demonstrably clear that it is Palm that Needs sprint more.
    agree all the way .... they need spritn to promote the hell out of thos phone. Sure, they can release it on other carriers, but Sprint will give the the marketing support they really need to make it hit big. Sprint can survie w/o Pre (or be bought) but palm cannot comtinue if this phone is not a hit.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    agree all the way .... they need spritn to promote the hell out of thos phone. Sure, they can release it on other carriers, but Sprint will give the the marketing support they really need to make it hit big. Sprint can survie w/o Pre (or be bought) but palm cannot comtinue if this phone is not a hit.
    Folks, both need each other.

But SPRINT needs it more so than PALM.
    Agreed that PALM is running on life support, but that Jan 9th announcement created a buzz, which drove the stock up six times. Today Deutsche bank is betting that PALM stock could reach a 10 bucks range.

If there was no Pre in the pipeline, then PALM would be history. But after the Pre, they have all the momentum. And here is one more thing for you, if PALM decides , they can go with majority GSM and sell the thing like crazy.

If they get even more fancy , they could port this WebOS on a small ipod nanoish hardware and sell like ipods in the heyday.

Sprint needs to work on many things , specifically the coverage and customer service. Coverage is the key area. I am a customer over 10 years, I haven't seen them drum their coverage like Verizon's. The calls still drop.
    I am not sure you tried this , but I used to knock of 5 bucks each month based on call drop credits.

At the end of the day both needs each other, but if PALM decides to divorce, it has plenty of takers (Verizon sure is one after that pathetic STORM). But for SPRINT , they have to pray for another device that can get the 5 million lost customers back, if not more.

Prior to JAN 09 2009 , yes it was PALM that needs SPRINT, but after that ??? its PALM
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    That first impression will be in a sprint store, handed over by a Sprint employee, explained by a Sprint employee
    I guess you have not heard about the Best Buy thing. Some of those phones will probably be delivered through Best Buy stores.

Sprint will be 99% of the main Palm new products for the next six months the Pre and the Pro.
    That figure is way wrong. They will have international Pre sales in addition to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Agreed that PALM is running on life support, but that Jan 9th announcement created a buzz, which drove the stock up six times. Today Deutsche bank is betting that PALM stock could reach a 10 bucks range.
    Six times from what? Look a the gross numbers, total capitalization.

Pre is a part of the picture for Sprint. It is everything for Palm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast