View Poll Results: Will you insure your Palm Pre with TEP?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

145 65.02%
  • No

45 20.18%
  • Not Sure

33 14.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will you insure your Palm Pre with Sprint's Total Equipment Protection (TEP) for $7 monthly, and a $100 dollar deducible?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Will you insure your Palm Pre with Sprint's Total Equipment Protection (TEP) for $7 monthly, and a $100 dollar deducible?
    I intend to drop my TEP after April, when they raise the deductible for my 755P.

By then I expect that you all will be ebaying your 755P's and Centros for pennies on ebay, as most everyone here grabs all the available Preis (sp ?).

Likely I'll be able to get a spare for less than the deductible.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    The deductible went up to $100, and you already get a one year warranty.
    $7 x24 moths, plus tax with $100 deductable when you already get a one year waranty on a phone from maker is too much. We've had three lines for seven years and five lines for three years. That is 45 "phone years." We would have paid more than $4000 in TEP! During that time I have had one brand new phone my mom wore around her neck dipped into a teacup, two phones lost by kids, and one dropped getting into the car, one stolen and one screen crack on a 18 month old phone, or on the very high estimate of used replacement cost from ebay $300 x 6 about $1800 in losses. 1800 - $600 deductable is $1200. To get that $1200 we would have had to pay $4000 in TEP!
    I dont understand, why would there be a 100 deductible? I have the TEP insurance with my HTC Touch and i replaced the phone 2 times and never payed a deductible. Why would there be on now?
    The 100 deductible is for lost, stolen, or damaged phones only. If there is a malfunction in the phone, with TEP (7 bucks), you just bring it back for a free swap out if they can't fix it.

Yes I'll be keeping TEP on my line for the Pre. Because if it gets a cracked screen or something else physically damaged (water) it is FULL cost (probably 599.99 plus tax) to replace. So for the year, it is 84 + 100 for the replacement. Or just 84 bucks if you don't use it. You don't knock on your Allstate agent's door and ask them for money back if you don't get into an accident do you? That is why it is called insurance... it's peace of mind but at a cost.
    Oh yeah, there is the 4 dollar a month plan which ONLY covers damage and not extended warranty. So you can't bring it back after the year if it's all Wonky. You need to actually break the phone and the pay the deductible to get a replacement. So that costs you 148 for a replacement or 48 for peace of mind, yearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The deductible went up to $100, and you already get a one year warranty.
    $7 x24 moths, plus tax with $100 deductable when you already get a one year waranty on a phone from maker is too much. We've had three lines for seven years and five lines for three years. That is 45 "phone years." We would have paid more than $4000 in TEP! During that time I have had one brand new phone my mom wore around her neck dipped into a teacup, two phones lost by kids, and one dropped getting into the car, one stolen and one screen crack on a 18 month old phone, or on the very high estimate of used replacement cost from ebay $300 x 6 about $1800 in losses. 1800 - $600 deductable is $1200. To get that $1200 we would have had to pay $4000 in TEP!
    Hey aero, thanks for taking the time to lay this out before my eyes. I'm afraid to admit it, but I didn't stop to calculate it.

In my defense though, the thought of my Inspector Gadget Special (Treo 755p) biting the dust just . . .(pant, pant, sweaty Palms :-D, dizziness . . . guess I hit my head on the table when I passed out).
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    Hey aero, thanks for taking the time to lay this out before my eyes. I'm afraid to admit it, but I didn't stop to calculate it.

In my defense though, the thought of my Inspector Gadget Special (Treo 755p) biting the dust just . . .(pant, pant, sweaty Palms :-D, dizziness . . . guess I hit my head on the table when I passed out).
    it was actually three lines for ten years and five for three.

My point is I feel self insuring for non catastrophic loss is usually a mistake. someone else (ionsurance company)is making a profit and has the odds.

Yo might as well put your $90 a year with tax on the blackjack table, the odds are better.

There are some caveats. It is a brand new to maker device and Palm does have n "F" rating with the Better business Bureau. Other caveats with self insurance calculations:
    - underwriting of legal representation (the insurance companies lawyers negotiating with the other insurance company, plaintiff or in court) not an issue with the phone

- Insurance companies negotiating lower prices (you see this in your health insurance)

- underwriting of your costs by people paying the same as you for less benefits. (this used to be the case with phoen insurance where people buying the cheap phones also bought tep at $7 and had the same deductible. Last months upping of deductibles for smartphones like Pre from $50 to $100 really changes that.)
    SquareTrade cell phone coverage plan pricing

It's way cheaper than TEP and covers everything except a loss or stolen device.

And some of you instead of considering if you'll purchase TEP for the Palm Pre, if you already have TEP you should be asking yourself if you'll use TEP's one time upgrade option to get your Palm Pre. With TEP, you can get a ONE TIME upgrade to a different device. You folks who already pay for TEP could use that to get your Pres .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    SquareTrade cell phone coverage plan pricing

It's way cheaper than TEP and covers everything except a loss or stolen device.

And some of you instead of considering if you'll purchase TEP for the Palm Pre, if you already have TEP you should be asking yourself if you'll use TEP's one time upgrade option to get your Palm Pre. With TEP, you can get a ONE TIME upgrade to a different device. You folks who already pay for TEP could use that to get your Pres .
    How do we go about doing that? I had no clue that could be done to be honest. Do theyddde still charge the 100 deductible?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    More info from a thread several months ago: Does equipment protection add-on make sense?

One comment for the calculations of replacement costs, if can buy a replacement phone, you won't get it at the subsidized price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    How do we go about doing that? I had no clue that could be done to be honest. Do theyddde still charge the 100 deductible?
    I've never done the upgrade, but those who have done it tell me you simply call Asurion and they can tell you how it works if you ask. It's not something they speak of unless someone brings it up .

I was waiting till something I wanted came out to call them myself. I'm wondering if the upgrade has to be to a refub of the device someone desires to upgrade to, or can someone get a brand new one?

It would take some searching for you to find the discussions, but the one time upgrade has been discussed on other forums here.
    thank christ for trading goods act in the UK. if I own an electical item and that goes wonky within the 18 month contract period, then I don't need any stupid cover plan to fix it and replace it. its enshrined in law. course if I drop it or break, that's different, but tech issues, not a problem.
    Sprint's insurance has replaced two "failed" phones, with upgrades to a newer model, at no cost to me. It's been well worth it, in my experience.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Keep in mind that cracked screens now require the $100 deductable. They used to be fixed for free. but too many people abused it.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    My previous Treo's just suddenly stopped making calls. The tech at my local Sprint store confirmed it, and replaced it with an upgrade (reconditioned 700p, and a brand new 755p) without even the $10 deductible.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    so what happens if you don't opt for TEP and the pre begins to malfunction? Does sprint take care of it, or will palm?

I currently have TEP on my blackberry curve, and the real benefit of it has been convenience. You can even submit claims online. I did it a few weeks ago for my blackberry curve, and I had a BRAND NEW replacement curve at my doorstep within three days, along with a mailing slip to return the malfunctioning one. I knew it was brand new because it came in a retail box, still sealed, with all the accessories. All at no additional cost to me. The time and hassle saved was worth it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    My previous Treo's just suddenly stopped making calls. The tech at my local Sprint store confirmed it, and replaced it with an upgrade (reconditioned 700p, and a brand new 755p) without even the $10 deductible.
    I've had a bunch of issues over time with my Treos, a 700p that the radio just stopped working, a 700p that the card slot stopped working, and a 755p that the radio stopped working. I've always babied all of my devices, never dropped them or anything, and so because it wasn't because of any accidental damage but some sort of issue that just happened on its own, I was able to have them replaced without any deductible. Though the last time I did it, I had to fight with Sprint because of it, because they kept telling me the terms of service had changed since I signed up for the insurance. Since the 755p, I've had a Motorola q9c and ended up not getting the insurance because I got the phone for like $150 and it wasn't worth it to me.

I don't think I'll be getting it for the Pre either, but it'll probably depend on the price of the phone. $7 a month and then $100 as a deductible adds up over time, especially considering I'm apparently considered a Sprint Premier customer, which means every year I can get the upgrade price.

I mean, if the device doesn't last a year and its my fault, then I'd be screwing myself, (of course any random defects are covered by the warranty), but if it lasts over a year, then I'm saving the $184 for the year and then getting the discounted price, so it about equals out, (and if it lasts over a year and a two months, then I save money assuming a $200 price at that time).

Edit: And I don't know much about SquareTrade. It's cheaper, but what happens if I change phones before the two or three years are up? And how does one get their money back, just a check from them or something? Is there a limit to the number of claims?
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/22/2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Keep in mind that cracked screens now require the $100 deductable. They used to be fixed for free. but too many people abused it.
    How can getting a cracked screen fixed be "abused"? Just more people needed screens fixed in an era where touch screen devices are becoming the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    so what happens if you don't opt for TEP and the pre begins to malfunction? Does sprint take care of it, or will palm?
    I have not seen the warranty for the Pre yet, but Palm's warranty policy for other devices has been 1 year of coverage. With their option to repair, replace or refund. But the issue is, that with CARRIER BRANDED devices, like the Pre which will initially be Sprint branded, Palm tries pretty hard to have you seek resolution with the carrier's repair services first. This can be good and bad. Good because Sprint has repair centers in most every town, so no need to mail the device off for repair, but bad because Sprint's service people can be wishy-washy in their assistance. Sometimes customers who don't have TEP are treated like crap and they try not to grant them repairs, unless the customer is persistent. (Makes no sense that they'd give TEP customers better repair service when the insurance is with a company outside of Sprint and insurance is not used when Sprint does repairs.) Sometimes with customers who don't have TEP, Sprint tries to have the customer seek resolution from the manufacturer, which pretty much kills any benefit of being able to get repair from Sprint. But IF YOU BUY FROM SPRINT OR A KNOWN LEGIT RETAILER LIKE BEST BUY, you usually can get warranty service from Sprint. It's the people who don't have TEP and buy from little know Ebay retailers who really are given a hard time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Edit: And I don't know much about SquareTrade. It's cheaper, but what happens if I change phones before the two or three years are up? And how does one get their money back, just a check from them or something? Is there a limit to the number of claims?
    See the web site, some of your questions are answered there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast