View Poll Results: Will you insure your Palm Pre with TEP?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

145 65.02%
  • No

45 20.18%
  • Not Sure

33 14.80%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    I'm still not 100% sure if I'll get insurance...but I'm leaning towards yes. I don't want to waste money I don't have, but paying for the insurance program seems like the way to go judging by posts of the responses here.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    i'm gonna keep the insurance cuz i'm a klutz
    monday morning i tried to answer the phone while half asleep, and after flying across the room it landed wrong and cracked the screen
    50 dollar deductable and their sending me the newer centro as a replacement, so i get the memory upgrade to 128megs and another charger as pure bonus
    10 months ago i had to get a replacement because of the stupid headphone jack problem
    about a year before that i got a replacement 650 due to water damage. back then a replacement 650 was significantly higher than the deductable, and it's probably gonna take a while before ebaying a replacement pre is going to be a truly cost effective option.

so it's way less headache than trying ebay a replacement, and i do enjoy the piece of mind. so far i definitely feel i've gotten my value from the program
    I've had TEP forever. Haven't used it yet. I'm really careful with my phones though.

I guess in the event that something does happen it will save me money. After being with Sprint for 4 years and not using the insurance at all(7$'s a month), I'm starting to feeling like a silly goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I've had TEP forever. Haven't used it yet. I'm really careful with my phones though.

I guess in the event that something does happen it will save me money. After being with Sprint for 4 years and not using the insurance at all(7$'s a month), I'm starting to feeling like a silly goat.
    My thoughts exactly - thinking back on the past 4 years I've been with Sprint, I'm glad I didn't opt for the TEP, as I'd be out ~$340 with nothing to show but functional phones.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I though initially, if i were to purchase from Best Buy, i wouldn't get the TEP for my PRE (crossed fingers) but after checkin on the Best Buy insurance I think I will keep my TEP.... the one thing that BB insurance has over Sprints is, it covers water damage, but it don't cover theft... however i have used my TEP several times, my wife has gotten 2 replacement phones due to damage and I have gotten 1 due to malfunction so i have payed 100 bucks in deductible in the last 5 years, but for the most part if you go to a Sprint store that does not have a bunch of d***s doing the service they will tell you how to get a replacement for free on they would do something to replace it for you.... my wifes 1st replacement the screen was busted, took it in to the store and the guy told use to call and initiate the insurance, then place a claim in 21 days... worked like a charm
    I have the Sprint insurance now...and it has been worth it. As my signature states, my Treo 650 was submerged when it was about 18 months old. For $50, the Sprint plan replaced it with a brand new 3G 700p...without impacting my contract.

That said, Sprint/Asurion have changed their plan since then. Most Palm phones now have a $100 deductible under the current plan.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    It is like any other insurance: you don't need it & you are saving money--until it is too late.

Cheers
  8.    #48  
    *bump*

We've got a good poll going here, no need to start a poll a smaller sample.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    I believe I will, with all the horror stories about the Pre, I just want to be covered after this one month replacements trial.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Good debate here, but now that the Pre is actually out, there are two things to consider:

1. The exterior is made out of cheap plastic crap.
    2. The retail price is $550.00.

Anyone want to guess when the retail price of the Pre is going to go down and by how much? I imagine with all the money Palm and Sprint have lost due to so many being returned, it might take longer than the Centro or Treo did.
    Voted no. I thought the best buy deal was better. $10 dollars a month, no deductable, I get a loner if I send mine off, and if it is gone for more than two weeks then I get a new one.
    I drop everything and I have a several treos I've killed and replaced. Totally worth the money for someone like me. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, the Pre is more fragile than ANY palm device I've ever owned. Even the Kyocera 7135.
    I've had TEP on all of my recent phones, 755, centro, blackberry curve, HTC TP, and now the Pre. I had the 755 replaced twice (once in store for a charging port issues, so no deductible), the Curve once (again, in store, no deductible), the HTC once for a cracked screen (my fault). So, for me, the insurance has definitely been worth it. Plus, I have two two-year olds that think it's funny to take my phone and run away with it, so I'm expecting some breakage soon.
    If you think your a safe driver then don't insure your car. same consept.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Why yes? Well I look at it two ways.

One if I need to use it to get my phone fixed or replaced it will be cheaper then not having TEP.

Secondly, I view it as prepaying for most or part of my replacement. Less if any out of pocket cost at the time of failure.

To illustrate:
    I had my Mogul for about 14 months before the keyboard stopped working correctly. I took it in, it was replaced under TEP for how much, $0. That's right not one cent out of pocket at the time. Now the full two years of TEP that I paid for during the time I used the Mogul, $168.00 So since I really don't think there is ANY way I could have gotten a refurb Mogul for that cost. I would say it's well worth it.

My $.02
    The problem with that logic ("safe driver then don't insure your car") is that car insurance is priced WAY differently than the TEP product is. I suspect the profit margin for this phone insurance is extremely high. For one, there's no competitive marketplace to help drive prices down (unless we assume that Sprint is actively shopping this around each year to get the best rate, which they probably aren't).

For those people with 2 phones (one for you and one for the wife), I've wondered if it would be a better deal just to try and get a 3rd phone to have as a backup. Otherwise you're paying $14/mo, and between that and the deductible, you would definately blow by the cost of the third phone by the time the 2-year contract period expires. Of course, this assumes you can get a 3rd phone for close to $200 (AR) and that between you and your spouse, you only have zero or one accidents!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccoy68 View Post
    To illustrate:
    I had my Mogul for about 14 months before the keyboard stopped working correctly. I took it in, it was replaced under TEP for how much, $0. That's right not one cent out of pocket at the time. Now the full two years of TEP that I paid for during the time I used the Mogul, $168.00 So since I really don't think there is ANY way I could have gotten a refurb Mogul for that cost. I would say it's well worth it.

My $.02
    But you probably could have opened the device up yourself and fixed it for free. Like many with the Touch Pro who have experienced similar do. It's a common occurance, that's pretty easy to fix. The Mogul and Touch Pro are similar in design as you know.

If you got a replacement (probably refurb) without paying a deductible, you didn't get it via TEP. Sprint gave it to you. Like you said, you "took it in" and you were given another. You didn't have to mail it to Asurion. Your Sprint store cut your a break, that is not at all guranteed to occur for anyone else. Asurion does not give out replacements for $0, so yours was not a TEP replacement.

A Sprint repair center would have done keyboard repair outside of TEP before recent price changes for about $60, now they'll do the same for about $100.
    After 1 Year warranty expires I may add it to my Homeowners Policy
    I've had TEP on phones with Sprint since I started with them (Treo 600, 650, 700w, 755p). I've had very positive experiences with Sprint when I've needed repairs. Almost every time, whatever was wrong with the phone, if they couldn't repair it, it was whatever category or categories of "wrongness" where they've been able to just swap my phone for another one (refurbished).

I think the fact that I had TEP was a big reason they could just swap them like that.

So I'm a TEP life-er, as long as it's a pretty expensive phone.
    Always have and always will!!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123