View Poll Results: Will you insure your Palm Pre with TEP?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

145 65.02%
  • No

45 20.18%
  • Not Sure

33 14.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    See the web site, some of your questions are answered there.
    Hmm, looks like with Squaretrade you can cancel whenever and receive a prorated refund, so that covers changing to a new phone, they try to fix it first and then refund you, but I don't see anything about a limit to the number of claims.

But still, with being eligible to get the discounted price every year as a premier customer, it doesn't really seem all that worth it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hmm, looks like with Squaretrade you can cancel whenever and receive a prorated refund, so that covers changing to a new phone, they try to fix it first and then refund you, but I don't see anything about a limit to the number of claims.
    Remember too, Square Trade only covers up to $399. Rest is out of your pocket + $50 deductible, so you're still paying ~$250 for a new smartphone + monthly $4.

I don't have insurance. Never had to return a phone or get one fixed and if I break or lose one, I have like 5 older phones as backups including my trusty ol' ppc-6700

Plus there's this secret: you can always add insurance to a phone if re-activated. So if you crack your screen or damage the device but it still works, you just re-activate an old phone, wait a few days, re-activate the busted one--now add insurance. Wait 30 days and put a claim in. Sure it's dishonest and takes time but it works.

I'd rather invest my $7 a month into a 3rd party shell or case for protection. If I get it wet, just pop out the battery and let it dry for a few days--will almost always come back. If I get mugged, oh well...phone is least of my concerns.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    depending on where i purchase it from, as stated in another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Remember too, Square Trade only covers up to $399. Rest is out of your pocket + $50 deductible, so you're still paying ~$250 for a new smartphone + monthly $4.

I don't have insurance. Never had to return a phone or get one fixed and if I break or lose one, I have like 5 older phones as backups including my trusty ol' ppc-6700

Plus there's this secret: you can always add insurance to a phone if re-activated. So if you crack your screen or damage the device but it still works, you just re-activate an old phone, wait a few days, re-activate the busted one--now add insurance. Wait 30 days and put a claim in. Sure it's dishonest and takes time but it works.

I'd rather invest my $7 a month into a 3rd party shell or case for protection. If I get it wet, just pop out the battery and let it dry for a few days--will almost always come back. If I get mugged, oh well...phone is least of my concerns.
    I think this is really sage advice.

Handset insurance is like extended warranty. It is extremely high profit and preys on misconceptions, bad math, "buyers remorse" and reversal of logic, such as the idiotic assertion that you are "protecting your investment" which is an irrational thought on consumer electronics which drop sharply in value and replacement cost.

Psychologists have long known that people making optional purchases feel a sense of elation and a sense of guilt. That sense of guilt is called buyers remorse and the market has actually found a way to reduce your guilt while making money out of you -- selling you a high profit item that claims to "protects your investment," as if buying consumer electronics isa an investment when in fact it is not.

As a result people go to Amazon, Bestbuy etc and shave their $800 purchase down to a 5% margin by the retailer, and then buy a $50 warranty that costs the retailer $20. People shave their Sprint costs down and they hurt their savings by buy a product that is demonstrably of little value.

Mal did some math, so did I, but you don't need to take our word for it, you already know the insurance companies and carriers have already done the math!

Anecdotes about how phone insurance paid off for someone poster knows or themseves, are, no offense, immaterial; because they are exactly as representative as anecdotes about someone who made a fortune at the horse track, they are statistical outliers, empathized (or even imagined) by the individual brain or within a social meme, and memorable because they are unrepresentative of real life.
    Forget everything I just said below. This has just lost its value to me. Somehow, I missed the fact they raised the fee to $100! DOH! I am going to cancel when the deductible goes up April 19th.

It's a no-brainer to pay for the insurance, even with the 50 deductible. I have been doing it for years, and consider it a value to get a new or refurbished phone in my hands within a few days and not have to deal with Sprint Customer service, or go to a sprint store. I keep an old Treo 300 around to use between activations when waiting for my new phone to be delivered under the insurance program. The cost/benefit is still worth it to me.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 02/24/2009 at 03:32 PM.
    By the time my phone breaks, I already want another one anyway. I fail to see the point of insurance.

If I worked at a constuction site, maybe.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    The deductible isnt $100...?!! Mine is $50 right now...was there an increase announced recently (like within the last 8 days)? If its $100 deductible, then I have to change my vote to HELL NAW!!!
    if they were raising it to $100 for the Pre or other expensive new phones I'd better understand it -- but to raise it on the 755P and the Centro ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Wow- didn't learn about the doubling of deductible until today, will need to take another look at this.

However, I have 5 Treos, have been paying for insurance for years on all lines. I usually blow off those extended warranty pitches elsewhere, but I take major exception with the Phone warranties.

$7x12=$84/year on each phone
    $84x5=$420/year for full coverage on all Treos
    +$55 (now $100) deductible for my damage or loss

*Without* paying for insurance, I have to deal directly with Palm on Warranty issues, Sprint will treat me as a second class citizen. I pay 100% of repair or replacement costs after 1 year warranty expires, and within the warranty period Palm and Sprint will pull stunts and try weaseling out of obvious manufacturer defects.

*With* insurance: for $420/year, I have peace of mind that if any of my 5 smartphones have issues, in or out of warranty, Sprint is responsible for making them work. If any are lost, stolen, dropped from an airplane, etc - for $55 (now $100) I will get a spanking new/refurb'd phone within a week. I don't get "attitude" from the Sprint staff, they tend to snap to attention and deal with the problem phone without any stress-producing hassles about who's at fault for the problem.

To be clear: Palm devices have a track record of hardware and software problems.

In the 5+ years I've had Treos, I have NEVER had to pay a deductible. To their great credit, Sprint has been very generous in their interpretation of the liability for phone problems. One time I had a phone that was clearly damaged by the user, but I got a free refurb without even asking.

A (hopefully) reliable replacement 755 on fleabay is about $200-250. For $84/year (plus any deductible if they even charge it) I have the peace of mind that it's Sprint's problem to keep that phone viable.

Remember that about half of that $7 bucks goes toward supporting in and out-of-warranty repairs.
    Even if you are technically "in warranty," you do NOT want to deal with the idiots at Palm if your keyboard, speaker, microphone or other hardware dies. Palm seems to consider their manufacturing processes beyond fail, so nearly anything that goes wrong with your Palm device will be routinely met with "it's user damage and not under warranty."

$7 dollars a month is far cheaper than the expense of alcohol, heroin, or lobotomies necessary to endure the stress of dealing with Sprint or Palm "support" if your phone dies, even under warranty.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Count me out! I am NOT paying a $100 deductible. I'm going to place a claim on my 700p to get a fresh one so that I can use it as a backup if my Pre goes down due to loss/theft/non-warranty issue in the 1st year. After that first year, I will reconsider....maybe! But then, there will probably be a better one with a microSD slot!
    I am starting to agree that it's not a good idea in general, but exception would probably be if you're generally clumsy with your phones, then its a good idea. As an example, I don't know how many times my brother has gone into the ocean/pool/hot tub/ whatever with his phone in his pocket, and my sister has a habit of dropping all of her phones constantly.
    I've always paid for TEP, but I can't say I've done so happily and often have pondered either dumping it or trying some other coverage option. I started with TEP when it was about $5 a month and maybe a $35 deductible, then $7/month and $50 deductible and now they are moving to $7/month and $100 deductible. (I think there were some other incremental increases in prices that I did not mention.) And in all these years I've never actually exercised TEP and while I know about the one time upgrade option I suspect it won't even be around for much longer.

I'm ready to end paying for these insurance/replacement plans just because they cost too much. I don't know if I'd get a Best Buy plan if I brought a device from them, it would depend on the price of the plan if I purchased a device from them.

But here's another reason I'm leaning to dumping all coverage plans and it bolsters Aero and Malatesta's view of this matter. While we pay one price when initially purchasing these devices, by the time we are outside of manufacturer warranty, the device can be purchased online for a much cheaper price, whether buying later new or used. So the money put into insurance/extended warranty plus deductible in the case of insurance, comes much closer to the actual replacement cost of the device once beyond about a year.

The only reason I keep TEP for now is to see if I might find a good enough prospect to leverage the one time upgrade option if I find a good prospect before they do away with the one time upgrade deal. I figure I might as well see if I can get something out of my many years of paying them for the coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    However, I have 5 Treos, have been paying for insurance for years on all lines. I usually blow off those extended warranty pitches elsewhere, but I take major exception with the Phone warranties.

$7x12=$84/year on each phone
    $84x5=$420/year for full coverage on all Treos
    +$55 (now $100) deductible for my damage or loss
    Joad don't take the point by point personally. I just need to point out a few things. You are making your choice, but statements like "Peace of mind" really are not the way to look at it. That is like going to a roulette table in vegas and placing a bet on over single number five times a month for five years to get peace of mind you are not risking your money

IMHO You are the prefect example of the person who should not have this insurance because your five lines highly average your risk. You are just paying overhead to a for profit company to average your risk when you already have averaged it. (Obviously the average risk for return is less for you than the expense otherwise no one would be in the busines of selling you insurance. )

That is why no business have this kind of insurance, they know that self insurance on these kind of incident losses is less than the cost of insurance on so many lines is clear

*Without* paying for insurance, I have to deal directly with Palm on Warranty issues, Sprint will treat me as a second class citizen. I pay 100% of repair or replacement costs after 1 year warranty expires, and within the warranty period Palm and Sprint will pull stunts and try weaseling out of obvious manufacturer defects.
    this is a mitigation but really a very slight one in my experience. First it isn't the first year, it is the second 11 months. In my experience electronics fail very early or much later when they are almost worthless. In the first month, really first few days, you get burn in on components etc and would find most failures, and sprint will swap you out in 30 days no questions asked even with no insurance.
    *With* insurance: for $420/year, I have peace of mind that if any of my 5 smartphones have issues, in or out of warranty, Sprint is responsible for making them work. If any are lost, stolen, dropped from an airplane, etc - for $55 (now $100) I will get a spanking new/refurb'd phone within a week. I don't get "attitude" from the Sprint staff, they tend to snap to attention and deal with the problem phone without any stress-producing hassles about who's at fault for the problem.
    Your chance of getting a refurb is extremely high ao you have to take the cost on ebay subtract $100 from that evay cost and then consider it. For example I just sold a very good condition 800w for $170. That means relative to insurance the insurance benefit after $100 deductible is $70. With tax you would have paid about $88 in a year for the insurance.

To be clear: Palm devices have a track record of hardware and software problems.
    In the 5+ years I've had Treos, I have NEVER had to pay a deductible. To their great credit, Sprint has been very generous in their interpretation of the liability for phone problems. One time I had a phone that was clearly damaged by the user, but I got a free refurb without even asking.
    In five years you paid $2200 with tax for the insurace. Tha tis more than what seven $300 replacement swoudl cost on ebay with clean esn from excellent sellers, and as I said for example tha twould be more tewleve 800w at current ebay !

A (hopefully) reliable replacement 755 on fleabay is about $200-250. For $84/year (plus any deductible if they even charge it) I have the peace of mind that it's Sprint's problem to keep that phone viable.
    [I]
    clean esn 775p run about $70 to $100 on ebay. new in box look to be $112 with shipping.

Again I really think you may want to reresearch the numbers and rethink your math. I myself rationalize overspending on things like this, and I am not saying that is your case but it is the tendency of everyone with these kind rationally problematic of expenses.

On dealing with Palm's bad QC, you should also be aware that things like the net really change your power. For example the GSM Pro had inordinate casing cracks within weeks to months. A few years back everyone would have been stiffed on warranty -- Palm can't do that kind of thing as often. Because here on treo central the first couple fo guys said they had cracks, palm (of course) initially denied warranty and then you saw about 20 pictures of different ones with the same exact cracks in the same place. Palm now swaps those out no/little problem because they know the probative burden was throwr to them by the simple existence of documentation and an informed user base here on Treo central. anyone with the problem googling it woould come here, see it and be able to force a warranty replacment.

We had the same thing with GPS issue on th 800w. A few years back I googled and found my 700op, which had a failed headphone jack after six months had a common problem and I was able to force warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

In five years you paid $2200 with tax for the insurace. Tha tis more than what seven $300 replacement swoudl cost on ebay with clean esn from excellent sellers, and as I said for example tha twould be more tewleve 800w at current ebay !
    A fine example of how we can do better keeping the money in our pockets.

One year of insurance payments plus deductible for a replacement device will soon total $184. And you might get a refub for that price. By July 2009, the Sprint Treo 800w may be selling for at or less than that amount, new, without contract, via a legitimate Ebay based retailer.

Who would buy car insurance if in a year payments plus deductible totaled the amount of buying the same car a year later outright? Everyone would self insure.
    Even though I am a bit the nerdy sort (does that describe everyone on this forum?), I tend to make purchasing decisions as much based on emotion as on rational analysis. As for my past decision to purchase the insurance, I probably was thinking in terms of "What if I smash/lose this the day after I purchase it?"

In actual experience, I haven't smashed or lost anything but have had two units replaced. In neither case did I pay any deductible at all. In both cases, I had already been casually considering a purchase of a new unit anyway.

First, I had a dead 600 replaced with a brand new 650. I immediately sold the replacement 650 on eBay and bought a 700p with a new contract, costing me nothing net out of pocket after the eBay revenue. Then when the 700p died last September, I had it replaced with a brand new 755p.

I think I made out just fine in these two claims. I guess in terms of hardware purchases, I am still living on what I paid for the Treo 600 back in 2003 (and the insurance payments). Now I am having fun out-of-contract with my 755p and considering whether a Pre would be worth buying. And what I could possibly get on eBay for a 755p to subsidize the Pre purchase. And I likely will keep the insurance, just in case I smash/lose the Pre the very next day.

And I know, it's already been said that anecdotal evidence means nothing.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Even though I am a bit the nerdy sort (does that describe everyone on this forum?)
    Not all of us! Some of us (including myself) just use you nerds for good data about an awesome new phone. I am so interested in owning the Pre but I want to know as much about it as I can. No better place than these types of forums, I've found!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I said I was "nerdy", not "knowledgeable".
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    That sounds like a good plan. Along the same line, I have formed the impression that a fair number of the (possibly nerdy) folks posting on this forum are more opinionated than knowledgeable. But it makes for an entertaining read, and there are indeed a fair number of good pointers available on devices and their usage -- after the devices are actually released.

I tend to hang around here a little as a new unit I might be interested in is coming on the market. This time it looks as though I might have arrived a month or three early.
    Dr J

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The 100 deductible is for lost, stolen, or damaged phones only. If there is a malfunction in the phone, with TEP (7 bucks), you just bring it back for a free swap out if they can't fix it.

Yes I'll be keeping TEP on my line for the Pre. Because if it gets a cracked screen or something else physically damaged (water) it is FULL cost (probably 599.99 plus tax) to replace. So for the year, it is 84 + 100 for the replacement. Or just 84 bucks if you don't use it. You don't knock on your Allstate agent's door and ask them for money back if you don't get into an accident do you? That is why it is called insurance... it's peace of mind but at a cost.
    Bad analogy....

If a $24,000 car had the same insurance cost relative to what they are offering for their smartphones, then not many could afford the car insurance....

Personally, I don't carry insurance now... I've not carried phone insurance since maybe 2000 or 2001... I've decided long ago to not lose my phone or crack the screen... if I do, I'll replace via ebay and at WORSE, break even (vs. monthly payment and deductible of insurance).

Now that the deductible is so high, it is foolish to get this insurance.... unless you easily lose things or have a history of not being careful....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast