Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I heard rumors that the Pre wasn't going to have a built in alarm because "An alarm a very personal thing." So since I'm not alone in using my phone as my morning alarm clock, I've started coding a web interface for an alarm. I'm coming here for all you fine people to comment on features you'd like to see. No idea when I'll get it finished, but here's what I was thinking:

Alarms should have names or labels you can set
    An array of days to have it activate
    an active or not switch for each alarm
    configurable snooze time
    user choice of alarm tones

Obviously it should have multiple alarms. But the idea is that I have this ready as a Pre designed web application that will save your alarm preferences in a cookie so that you don't lose them. Now if the developers handbook from O'Reilly is available before the Pre is out, it may only take a few days to convert the alarm to a native application, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

So anyway, what features would you want on the first version of this alarm clock? Ooh, what about a dimmer screen if it's an alarm set before 8am so your eyes don't go all wonky when you pick it up off the bedside touchstone in the morning? Anyway, discuss!

Free copy for anyone with implemented suggestions, but lets try to keep the Mozilla philosophy, leaner is better, and features that don't effect more than 80% of the user base should probably be left out.
    Shake to snooze would be a GREAT feature!

You would need API's for the acceleromator tho?
    Ability to select wallpaper. Currently I use my Treo 700p as a night clock. Having a nice wallpaper and the time digits large.

Stays on if charging....

Thanks!
    I like programs like Palmary Clock.
    Complex Repeating Alarms is the biggest thing for me since I have different daily alarms depending on the day of the week - and I don't reallylike having all of them show up in a calendar.

Maybe the clock could act as a screen saver? (depending on access to the OS hooks and stuff
    something that I've wanted to find for the centro (unsuccessfully) is an alarm that would be audible, even when the phone is on silent or vibrate. my old phone did this, and I loved it (I get texts at all hours of the night, and need it silent when I'm sleeping).

why we're on the subject, does anyone know of such a beast for the centro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post

You would need API's for the acceleromator tho?

Quote Originally Posted by gab2409 View Post
    something that I've wanted to find for the centro (unsuccessfully) is an alarm that would be audible, even when the phone is on silent or vibrate. my old phone did this, and I loved it (I get texts at all hours of the night, and need it silent when I'm sleeping).

Two awesome ideas! I think I'd be perfectly content with using the calendar as an alarm though until a 3rd party app comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    So I heard rumors that the Pre wasn't going to have a built in alarm because "An alarm a very personal thing." So since I'm not alone in using my phone as my morning alarm clock, I've started coding a web interface for an alarm. I'm coming here for all you fine people to comment on features you'd like to see. No idea when I'll get it finished, but here's what I was thinking:

configurable snooze time

Obviously it should have multiple alarms. But the idea is that I have this ready as a Pre designed web application that will save your alarm preferences in a cookie so that you don't lose them. Now if the developers handbook from O'Reilly is available before the Pre is out, it may only take a few days to convert the alarm to a native application, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

So anyway, what features would you want on the first version of this alarm clock? Ooh, what about a dimmer screen if it's an alarm set before 8am so your eyes don't go all wonky when you pick it up off the bedside touchstone in the morning? Anyway, discuss!

Free copy for anyone with implemented suggestions, but lets try to keep the Mozilla philosophy, leaner is better, and features that don't effect more than 80% of the user base should probably be left out.

Will this be a web application on the Pre or a native program?

IT NEEDS TO BE LOUD AND LOUDER (please) I will buy a copy if it meets my need in a heartbeat

Of course would want weekend alarms for Sat and Sun

It would be nice if you could write in "sunrise and sunset module" for the location where we are, I know there are three apps for the Iphone which do this but they do not do alarms too!

Hopefully the market place will fill quickly with Programs for the Pre and hope a lot of others port their Palm OS programs over too without delay
    Last edited by Gas Man; 02/20/2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: adding to post
    Not having an alarm would be a deal breaker but thanks to people like you I don't have to worry! Thank you op! The two features I would like to have is recurrence and mp3 alarm ringers.
    I would like the multiple alarm settings. Not to mention an alarm that alerts us even when the phone is off.

Last but not least maybe voice activated snooze. I know this may not be possible but I have dreams too dammit. *fake pouts*
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    For me, my favorite thing has been found in some alarms for the HTC Diamond done by independent coders.

Have an alarm in which you need to either:

1. Steer a ball through a simple maze (this could be done with the finger or if able to access the accelerometer later though that)

2. Answer somewhat simple math problems (2+5+8-3= ?)

3. Tap on multiple points on the screen following a glowy dot (For anyone that has used a WM device, think of the screen calibration program)

4. Show a series of 2 or 3 words where you have to type the word backwards

You could do any one, or even do a rotation of these or ones like it. You'd have to complete it to turn the alarm off.

The reason for this is to stimulate the mind and help make sure you actually get up instead of just hit the off and right back to sleep without getting up.

Also, an option on how many times you can snooze would be great. So you could set it to where you can hit snooze once but after that the option is not there.
  11.    #11  
    So I figured that having your own alarm tones would probably be MP3, this is something that I'll have to work through using the iphone and my N95 to try and figure out how I can link and play mp3's on the local file system. This would cover the volume for you Morningstar. In fact any existing alarm tones might come right off the device itself, or maybe I create a few from sounds I already have somewhere.... (Windows alerts, bleh)

Gab I'd love to have the alarm run even if you're in silent mode but that depends on if silent mode will allow webpages or even native apps to override it.

Darth Pooh, that's an awesome idea for shake to snooze. But maybe I'll have a few options for that, that way you can select. It'd be so exceedingly easy in the morning to tap the screen anywhere to snooze, but maybe that's too easy, and you'd be too likely to snooze when you need to get up anyway. I was thinking tap to snooze, and slide open the keyboard to turn off, but then the touchscreen lock might get in the way of the snooz action then. You are probably right in that it will require receiving event data from the accelerometer, but expect to see that in there when I convert it to a native app. Snoozing is something that's always been a PITA with the N95, I have to look at the really bright screen to figure out which button to push, by the time my eyes adjust to the screen brightness I'm already awake and the point of snoozing is practically moot.

Remmysmom, should be pretty easy to use a selectable wallpaper, but I'd imagined not even having a background for the application, and just have it do an alpha fade on your existing wallpaper. Staying on if it's charging might be a tougher hook into the OS, but were you thinking as nightlight or something?

Solar Plexus, I had expected to be able to let you set an alarm to happen on any number of days, but only one time per day per alarm. Multiple times per alarm might be more complicated than anyone can understand and use. I don't want to make the input interface into a programming language, heh.

laravia, I think voice to snooze would be cool too, but that will take an open api to the mic too, which might be hard to do until it's a native app, but there's been times where I've not been in easy reach of my phone, which again defeats the purpose of a snooze, I'll definitely think about that for a native app version.

Zyphlin, you are a true masochist at heart. Maybe I'll think about adding in some configurable puzzles for version 2 or 3. But those would have to be optional, or they could happen after like the 3rd snooze. In any case the idea of having to do math on 4 numbers at any time of day would bug me, let alone first thing in the morning. I'd probably just let my Knight Rider alarm tune keep playing at that point.

Everyone:
    Palm mentioned something in the first chapter of the book that said, "Minimize the steps for all common functions; put frequently executed commands on the screen, the next most frequent under the menus. Avoid preferences and settings where possible and where not, keep them minimal." so I don't want to make the whole thing overly complicated with every option in the book, but if anyone will second your idea's that I haven't, then I'll consider adding options.

With that in mind, a number of the suggestions don't even need options for, just an operators manual, shake to snooze, say "quiet" to snooze, but they'll also have to wait until I can get access to more hardware.

In the beginning it will be a web app, but after I get the developer book from O'Reilly then it shouldn't take long to get it to be a native application. So some of the features will be easy to have solid before the device is out. Mostly anything that will run in Safari for your computer should work on day 1, but then it's extending those features to work with sensors that are not normally part of the browser, microphone, accelerometer, light sensor that will take some time as the alarm transfers from webapp to native app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post

Great idea DP
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    alarm tones - MP3 and LOUD. Most of these phone alarms are way to low.
    The current alarm app that I have continuously goes off unless I turn it off, well, there have been a few times the phone was on vibrate while I wasn't around and the phone vibrated until the battery ran out. So an option to set how long the alarm will continue to go off would be helpful.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

I would also love to see a GPS based option to be able to tell certain alarms never to go off in certain locations or to always go into vibrate if you are at work or at school...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

I think it's already been said, but a simple digital clock face with LARGE numbers would be good.

Also I'd like to second the puzzle/math snooze option. I've performed the infinite snooze too many times.

Finally, to the guy who wants an alarm on his Centro but doesn't want to be awoken by night time messages, I think you want Butler. It should allow you to silence messages during a certain time without turning all sounds off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    I would also love to see a GPS based option to be able to tell certain alarms never to go off in certain locations or to always go into vibrate if you are at work or at school...
    That would be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Finally, to the guy who wants an alarm on his Centro but doesn't want to be awoken by night time messages, I think you want Butler. It should allow you to silence messages during a certain time without turning all sounds off.
    Oh man, I am going to miss Butler on the Pre I hope Hobbyist goes into webOS programing!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gab2409 View Post

This would be a definate must for me. I get tons of sms alerts through the night also so I keep the ringer switch to vibrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I never knew that, I will need to check that out also for my 755p. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post

configurable snooze time

write your own alarm app, nice!
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast