1.    #1  
    I fell in love with the pre the day of CES. I don't want to say the hype is dieing off, I am just starting to thimk about it. here is my story.

I don't do facebook, twitter, flicker, and what not.

I do have gmail as my email, but hate the contacts, calendar through gmail.

I pay 10 bucks a month for hosted exchange to avoid this and keep everything in sync between pc and pda.

I have used every device out there besides the iphone.

do you think the pre will be over kill for me?
    do you think I could benefit from the pre vs my wm, bb, type devices?

I think the pre is going to kick but with the younger people who use fackbook, twitter, and what ever cloud the pre syncs with, for a 37 year old that don't do all that stuff.... im just thinking...

what do you think?

cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    If you already use exchange, the pre should be able to use that as well. So you will sync pc, pda & pre all at the same time. No one says you have to use the other things.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    The facebook stuff you can turn off. Collect contacts from your exchange.

Really though, gmail, facebook, is just some sources it can draw from. You've got others it can draw from as well.

It comes down to whether everything else about the phone appeals to you or not. You are the only one that really knows.
    Don't forget the web browser, media player, multitasking, wifi, gps, not to mention the linked and threaded messaging. Also, LinkedIn is (I think) supported in a similar manner to facebook.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Don't forget the web browser, media player, multitasking, wifi, gps, not to mention the linked and threaded messaging. Also, LinkedIn is (I think) supported in a similar manner to facebook.
    compared to a windows mobile device like say the treo pro, what will be the bennifits for the pre? web browser, media player, multitasking, wifi, threaded messaging I already have.

LinkedIn? what's that? facebook? don't use.

someone sell me on the pre again. I do like the size, the card thing, and the newness. is that enough?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Haven't used the Treo Pro but have used the touch pro, diamond, and tried an old treo one in the past.

I only scratched facebook in the past couple of weeks but its safe to say i don't use either. LinkedIn? I've looked into it but haven't done..don't know if i will.

But just dismiss those things. WM is established, has the apps, you got the one handedness, can tweak, can probably do what you need to do and probably no issues with SERO and the like. In addition, you got the established syncing and i thing microsoft enhanced it recently.

Where the Pre differs IMO, is the larger screen. It's capacitive and designed for the fingers and to be used. Viewing anything should be sharper and a better experience. If you desire multimedia at all, then this will be better. The browser will be much better. The UI should be more intuitive on the Pre and handles multitasking in a unique way, easy to do manner. It's really aiming to give you a bit of the iphone mixed with a business phone.

It's really up to you. Keep in mind one is established, the other is brand new. Lots of things will change with it most likely and probably have some hiccups. The treo pro is a great phone from what i've read and between the two, you're not likely to go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    LinkedIn? what's that? facebook? don't use.
    LinkedIn is like Facebook for businesses pretty much. Basically social networking in order to make business contacts as opposed to personal contacts.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I fell in love with the pre the day of CES. I don't want to say the hype is dieing off, I am just starting to thimk about it. here is my story.

I don't do facebook, twitter, flicker, and what not.

I do have gmail as my email, but hate the contacts, calendar through gmail.

I pay 10 bucks a month for hosted exchange to avoid this and keep everything in sync between pc and pda.

I have used every device out there besides the iphone.

do you think the pre will be over kill for me?
    do you think I could benefit from the pre vs my wm, bb, type devices?

I think the pre is going to kick but with the younger people who use fackbook, twitter, and what ever cloud the pre syncs with, for a 37 year old that don't do all that stuff.... im just thinking...

what do you think?

cody
    Hey cody,

I'm in a similar situation, I don't do facebook (well hardly I guess) have a Google calendar, don't have contacts strewn all over the internet, I sync with my work (Active Exchange) calendar & contacts. I also pull in my pop3 e-mail several times during the day. So why do I want a Pre..?

I really want to experience the Rev-A network, I want a larger screen than my 755P, I want a slimmer/lighter device, I want turn by turn direction in the car, I want a new & modern OS. I've been on the 755P for nearly 2 years now & I want a change!

I'm also looking forward to seeing what new area's of synergy might actually appeal to me.

David...
    What's the hurry?
    I will let all the early adopters be the beta testers.
    Maybe it will be Totally awesome.
    (most likely)
    There's a few things that I'm just not sure for myself, and there's nothing I need that I don't already get with my GSM Treo Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w,
    Cody - That's 17 - where do you find the time to learn all these new devices?
    Actually, I don't do Facebook either, but my wife and virtually everyone else I know does. And one of things I've really liked hearing, and want to see elaborated upon, is the fact that the Pre will update your contacts with new Facebook photos when your contacts upload them to their individual pages. Because let's face it...while it's neat that you'll see demos for Pre, iPhone, or TouchFlo3D where all of your contacts have a snazzy picture besides them, realistically, I don't know of anyone who has such great candid photos of everyone on their phone. So with the Pre, they can do all of the work, and your contact list stays kind of dynamic. I like that.

Beyond that, the usability of Cards makes it very attractive to me as well. It'd be nice having a great WebKit browser on my phone, too.
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, treo pro on the way

Who are you kidding - you're a gadget junky!

You'll have it, you know you will.