Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Mike Cane at PrePoint has done some sleuthing and found a video posted on a spanish website where a Palm rep states the Pre has 256MB of RAM. That's double the iPhone and iPhone 3G, which both have 128MB.

At the bottom of the post La noche de los “Palm Pre” vivientes, por Carlos Burges, there’s a QuickTime video in which a Palm rep clearly states that the Pre has “256 megs RAM.” Although the post is in Spanish, the video is in English (you have to wait through a clunky video animation intro before the demo begins, so be patient).
    Palm: The Pre Has 256MB Of RAM « PrePoint
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    256MB RAM
    8GB Storage

Now we're cookin'!
    sounds promising! Now if only they had a 16GB storage version or microSD slot, that would rule.
    Cool. Thanks for the work OP.
    Why not 1TB of storage????

Seriously, having that much RAM is truley great for performance!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Why not 1TB of storage????
    The question of storage is important. iPhone, which other users immediately compared to on this thread and which we know will be the benchmark, is marketed with its second descriptor being for stored media playing : " phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device."

Why make light of the issue when the OP immediately compared it to the iphone (not to HTC, not to BB, but iphone and iphone only).

The ram is good news, but for every one person who knows about it, 100 will instead be looking at user storage which is now a LONG established number in the consumer mind, it is the top differentiator among ipods and iphones.
    I hate to agree, but you're right. Should've been 16gb from start. They'll constantly hit on that it in reviews when bringing up the bad points..

With any luck maybe they have two versions (8 and 16) up their sleeves at launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The question of storage is important. iPhone, which other users immediately compared to on this thread and which we know will be the benchmark, is marketed with its second descriptor being for stored media playing : " phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device."

Why make light of the issue when the OP immediately compared it to the iphone (not to HTC, not to BB, but iphone and iphone only).

The ram is good news, but for every one person who knows about it, 100 will instead be looking at user storage which is now a LONG established number in the consumer mind, it is the top differentiator among ipods and iphones.
    i agree 100%. 16GB is now the magic #. In a few months when the new iphone is announced, I'm sure that magic number will be 32GB. 8GB will sound like a joke in comparison. I'm sure palm realizes this and will be releasing larger capacity Pre's not long after, but its just frustrating see such a revolutionary device with less storage space.
    Yes, they should have definitely done more than 8gb
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    They sure seem to be pushing this device as "everything the iphone is not" or "all the things you hate about the iphone you can love about the pre" so it seems strange to lock it down in the storage arena. i understand why (to get us to upgrade) but still......
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    I think we need to remember that Palm has emphasized they are aiming at the "fat middle" of the market. I don't see iPhone users or Treo users in that group. I think we're closer to the edge of the curve.

At least in my mind, the vast number of people that may buy this phone don't even own a smartphone now. I think the Pre's obvious sex appeal (it looks good and it apparently has a satisfying sensual appeal when held) coupled with Sprint's money saving plans should appeal to that "fat middle" very nicely.
    do you want me to translate the website?
    1) I've watched the video PrePoint refers to. The only mention of 256MB is in a subtitle at the beginning. Not a single mention of 256mb in the actual demo. Either they managed to get information that Palm has consistently tried to keep quiet, or they pulled off the Pre specs from another website (which happened to have 256mb rumoured). If the 256mb rumour does prove true, I certainly won't be complaining though

2) I believe there are also rumours of a 16gb version coming shortly after the 8gb version

EDIT: I stand corrected, thanks Pflaumen
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/20/2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    I think we need to remember that Palm has emphasized they are aiming at the "fat middle" of the market. I don't see iPhone users or Treo users in that group. I think we're closer to the edge of the curve.

At least in my mind, the vast number of people that may buy this phone don't even own a smartphone now. I think the Pre's obvious sex appeal (it looks good and it apparently has a satisfying sensual appeal when held) coupled with Sprint's money saving plans should appeal to that "fat middle" very nicely.
    Why go out their way to appeal to only the "fat middle" when they're so close to appealing to every potential smartphone user around. For the low end, they can appeal because sprint has the cheapest service plans and will likely give a huge subsidy for people entering 2 year contracts. It won't be a cheap free or $99 phone, but they sure can't give away the thing. For the "fat middle", they'll get every feature they could possibly ask for, with the cheaper cost of ownership. As for the high end/power user the Pre has nearly everything we want. There are very few complaints we had, but more memory (in the form of 16GB or microSD slot) has been one of the main issues. This likely won't be a dealbreaker for me unless something better comes along in the next few months, but there are plenty of people that may consider replacing their current phone + ipod if the Pre had at least 16GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    1) I've watched the video PrePoint refers to. The only mention of 256MB is in a subtitle at the beginning. Not a single mention of 256mb in the actual demo.
    If you listen to the presenter before the subtitle (he is speaking in English), he specifically says "256 megs of ram". Listen carefully and you can hear him say it.
    I think Palm is aiming at the "fat middle" because of their financial situation. They need a profit so they aim at the big crowd with this device. I think once they get some cash and are on more solid ground they will come out with some models aimed at more niche markets.

They are like the homeless guy who will work for food. When things get better he'll start thinking about an apartment.
    The presenter also mentions that it has UMTS / HSDPA dual band AND quad band radios.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiki2 View Post
    do you want me to translate the website?
    Yes please. Any new news of the Pre is good news to hear
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    They are like the homeless guy who will work for food. When things get better he'll start thinking about an apartment.
    hopefully they're not gonna be like the homeless guy that says he'll work for food, but in reality doesn't want to work at all but wants money for drugs and alcohol. I'm not sure what that would be equivalent to in the smartphone world, but sounds sketchy either way. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    i agree 100%. 16GB is now the magic #. In a few months when the new iphone is announced, I'm sure that magic number will be 32GB. 8GB will sound like a joke in comparison. I'm sure palm realizes this and will be releasing larger capacity Pre's not long after, but its just frustrating see such a revolutionary device with less storage space.
    I keep asking the question, and people keep ducking the answer. Let's try this again:

If 16GB is "the magic number" in consumer electronics media devices, why is the best selling iPod Touch at Amazon the 8GB model (when 16 and 32GB models are available), and why is the best-selling iPod Nano at Amazon the 8GB model (when 16GB models are available)?

Not only are the 8GB models currently - as of today - the best sellers, but they have been EVERY day for months and months and months on end.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast