Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    Isn't verizon (a cdma carrier) owned by a foreign company in Vodafone that has GSM.
    They are -- Vodafone owns 50% or something like that. And Good point, totaly forgot about that
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Sprint is going to be entering a severe cash flow problem.

they lost a higher portion of contract customer than pre-paid customers meaning they hav an even worse ratio than before.

Of course Hess is sayng they can (barely), meet their debt an not default based on current numbers if they keep cutting costs, but what he didn't say what will happen if trends continue and they lose 5 million more this year.

They keep disproportionally losing business customers and their ARPU has been dropping according to all recent reporting
    Guess its the same ( loosing customers) for others too. But he (Dan Hesse) said that he is in a business of necessity as opposed to wanting.
    They might just move along after cutting the 8000 or so employees.

Besides I have a weird theory about network capacity.

As your customers grow your network capacity weakens.
    When your coverage weakens you need to upgrade your infrastructure.
    When you upgrade your infrastructure your operating costs will go high.
    As operating costs go high you have to tightly control the variable costs to make profit.

As opposed to
    When you loose customers your network capacity gets strengthened and revenues get smaller.
    However you can save on the network upgrades , as you do not immediately need to upgrade the network with lowering customer numbers.
    When you cut jobs your operating costs reduces.

The game is to improve customer service and claim to be a true 3G network.

If they can do that , they will start making money
    I just hope the phone is released soon. I'm tired of reading speculation. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I read the original article:

"Hesse said the company remains focused on cutting costs and boosting cash flow. Hesse in a statement also added that Sprint has enough cash to meet its debt service requirements through the end of 2010."

By then, they should have launched second-Gen Pre devices, have a healthier ARPU total, and also be rocking new CDMA Blackberries and at least one Android device. Sprint should be fine.
    Because Lord Hesse says things are ok? He's the CEO! I'm thinking it wouldn't be good for stock value if he started saying the company was in trouble.

The clowns at Enron said things were going great...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Because Lord Hesse says things are ok? He's the CEO! I'm thinking it wouldn't be good for stock value if he started saying the company was in trouble.

Wow...how you get "Things are OK!" out of that earnings disclosure and Hesse's comments is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    Isn't verizon (a cdma carrier) owned by a foreign company in Vodafone that has GSM.

exactly. the format is almost irreverent. most of the companies discussed in teh lat buyout of sprint considerations were GSM.

Economies of scale are very important in mobile business. there is no "leaner is meaner."
    You have GOT to be kidding me. Let me make myself perfectly clear.

You are taking the CEO's word for it that...
    "Sprint can meet minimal debt obligations through the end of next year, and with 49 million subscribers, they could not go anywhere near out of business until a good time after the second generation of WebOS/Pre devices start hitting."

You think if Sprint is a sinking ship that the CEO would admit it?

Good point.
    that is why he can discuss iphone endlessly on background, as is sure to be the case with him and even more so with Palm, and not do so in press releases.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You have GOT to be kidding me. Let me make myself perfectly clear.

You are taking the CEO's word for it that...
    "Sprint can meet minimal debt obligations through the end of next year, and with 49 million subscribers, they could not go anywhere near out of business until a good time after the second generation of WebOS/Pre devices start hitting."

You think if Sprint is a sinking ship that the CEO would admit it?
    If you think Sprint is a shrinking company or a sinking ship, why would they want to bring in PALM Pre ? and why are they throwing money at bringing some cool Android and other windows phones this year ?

If they were sinking , they would cut cost as much as they can to make it a "sellable" company.

AT&T was in a similar situation though not as bad as sprint prior to the iPhone launch.
    Because doing nothing is not an option. This is the last ditch effort to turn things around. Its just so crazy it might work.
    Haven't we been through this back when people were on the palm death watch? It's not wise to pay attention to chicken littles or have that mentality.

Sprint's stock has soared recently. Numbers are improving as the economy worsens which is a good indicator. In such economic times, being the cheapest may bode well for them. Improving CS has been happening and to be honest, good marketing will change things.

We could sit and nitpick on any company. Let's try Apple. I'd be very weary of buying apple stock. Win7 coming out later, iphone peaking and competitors getting better, ipod touch remains strong. Pulling out of macworld out of concern that they can't continue to dazzle anyone, questions on Jobs health. Being overpriced in a bad economic period. Netbooks everywhere.

Sprint and palm? Both were very low. Have stock in each. Didn't have much more room to go down but skys the limit the other way. A little risk especially with palm, but didn't see them going out of business.
    It was t-mobile/deutche telecom that looked at sprint or a possible nextal split off- but I seem to recall reading that the tech gsm vs cmda was a problem.

Honestly, I've been with sprint for about 10+ years, and their customer service has always been ok for me. I don't see what the big deal is that everyone has been jumping ship.

Yes, the iphone. & for me in the NYC area, despite what Sprint might say, Verizon is probably better with coverage. But I've had more than my fair share of horror stories with Verizon & VZW.

And I have AT&T for my work phone and either the phone (blackjack) is crap or their network is, or both- and I think the latter.

Biggest problem I have with Sprint are the palm phones I keep buying that eventually turn into crap. I should have stuck with the 600.

Now- with my centro, its starting to reset for no reason at times. And I am starting to suspect is Palm quality. And if the Pre doesn't rock, I suppose I might start to look elsewhere.

But I have yet to find a plan that offers better value.
    I'm still worried about Palm, cardfan.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Honestly too, Hesse has actually been doing a pretty good job so far, they lost less subscribers than expected, customer service metrics have improved dramatically, the black and white Sprint commercials at least give them a consistent identity, and they're soon getting what looks to be a pretty hot phone in the Pre.

I'm not sure what more he could be expected to do.
    Ads for the Pre would help BOTH companies IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    If you think Sprint is a shrinking company or a sinking ship, why would they want to bring in PALM Pre ? and why are they throwing money at bringing some cool Android and other windows phones this year ?
    It is not that anyone "thinks" it is a shrinking company, it is factually so. They have lost subscribers every month for a couple of years while their two main competitors have gained.

Why the Pre? Because Palm and Sprint were the ugly people at the dance when this deal was inked. It is the last chance for Palm, and Sprint itself is near desperate.

This doesn't mean Sprint service is bad or that Pre may not be fantastic, but it does say why they were desperate at that time.

If they were sinking , they would cut cost as much as they can to make it a "sellable" company.
    No the opposite is true. they would want to pump subscriber numbers up like crazy.

Potential buyers always have ways to cut costs in their post purchase plan -- a lot of costs would be duplicate and can be cut. But customer are always good, and cell subscribers are captive for two years and you want those. when you buy out a company like sprint you get their subscribers. they can't leave unless contract is materially changed, which it wouldn't be.

Verizon just got all of altell customers and fired a lot of altells staff and will sell a lot of altell assets. You keep the customers and throw out most of the rest of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    they lost less subscribers than expected, customer service metrics have improved dramatically.
    Actually in the latest period reported (4th q 08) they lost a higher percentage of in contract cusomter's than pre paid customers compared to current proportions, meaning a higher percentage of their remaining customers are pre-paid non contract customers. that is bad.

And analysts predictions were one million lost for the quarter and they lost 1.3 million (1.1 million conttract and 200k prepaid) -- or 30% MORE than expected!

The reason why the stock dd not go through the floor is they jettisoned a huge number of staff and did other cuts like cut back on advertiizng for early 09. Meaning their cash flow ad debt load is not as bad as as expected.
    Last edited by aero; 02/21/2009 at 07:12 PM.
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    They are -- Vodafone owns 50% or something like that. And Good point, totaly forgot about that
    IIRC, Verizon Wireless is split with 55% to Verizon and 45% to Vodafone.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It is not that anyone "thinks" it is a shrinking company, it is factually so. They have lost subscribers every month for a couple of years while their two main competitors have gained.

Why the Pre? Because Palm and Sprint were the ugly people at the dance when this deal was inked. It is the last chance for Palm, and Sprint itself is near desperate.

This doesn't mean Sprint service is bad or that Pre may not be fantastic, but it does say why they were desperate at that time.

No the opposite is true. they would want to pump subscriber numbers up like crazy.

Potential buyers always have ways to cut costs in their post purchase plan -- a lot of costs would be duplicate and can be cut. But customer are always good, and cell subscribers are captive for two years and you want those. when you buy out a company like sprint you get their subscribers. they can't leave unless contract is materially changed, which it wouldn't be.

Verizon just got all of altell customers and fired a lot of altells staff and will sell a lot of altell assets. You keep the customers and throw out most of the rest of the company.

Actually in the latest period reported (4th q 08) they lost a higher percentage of in contract cusomter's than pre paid customers compared to current proportions, meaning a higher percentage of their remaining customers are pre-paid non contract customers. that is bad.

And analysts predictions were one million lost for the quarter and they lost 1.3 million (1.1 million conttract and 200k prepaid) -- or 30% MORE than expected!

The reason why the stock dd not go through the floor is they jettisoned a huge number of staff and did other cuts like cut back on advertiizng for early 09. Meaning their cash flow ad debt load is not as bad as as expected.
    Understood, Its not about thinking, but there is a time angle to everything.
    Sure they lost subscribers, sure they missed cool phones, but they cannot sit and wait forver. APPLE was such a money loosing company in the early 90s , if you remember. There were rumors about selling Nextel division. But I am not sure where your sources are from , the business news that I read indicated that Sprint is not for sale.

They have Pre coming in couple of months , few HTC phones lined up for 2009 ( WinMo and Android), they are introducing all in one plans, and their customer satisfaction rating is slowly improving. To me they look like the only carrier that is staying relevant with the 3G technology. ATT is too arrogant with their new found iPhone customers. Verizon plans are expensive than all others. T Mobile is a hit and miss type.
    My prediction is that PALM and Sprint will comeback to profitability in 2009.
    I regret not buying PALM stock when it was a dollar something.
  19.    #39  

They are cutting costs - by reducing staff. Read that as "The more expensive, better qualified staff are being let go to make room for cheaper, less experienced staff." Lots of money to be saved that way ... in the short term. Adding new phones to the lineup is a drop in the bucket, cost-wise, by comparison.

AT&T was in a similar situation though not as bad as sprint prior to the iPhone launch.
    Well, just prior to the iPhone launch it was called Cingular - and yes, they were vulnerable and bought out by AT&T.
    "The more expensive, better qualified staff are being let go to make room for cheaper, less experienced staff." Lots of money to be saved that way ...

That's part of the reason why Circuit City died. That may not be a good move if true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12