Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All those people that bought iPhones the first day it came out are up for contract renewals on June 30.
    This is where Sprint and Palm have to bring it with their advertising, show the Pre is a better device than the iPhone, then Sprint's plans are better (and cheaper) than ATT's.
    If they can get some momentum, then word of mouth will take care of the rest.
    If Sprint could poach, say 10 percent of ATT's iPhone's users in the first six months (when the exclusive ends), that would be huge.
    Ummm....you don't think lots of those day one peeps already reupped for larger and/or 3G iphones?
    Sprint is going to advertise this phone big time! Also expect to see some product placements, and some Palm commericals.
    In spite of me not being a Sprint customer, probably ever, I will cheer loudly for this to be a raging success!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Ummm....you don't think lots of those day one peeps already reupped for larger and/or 3G iphones?
    I only know one person that bought a first gen iphone. He still has it. Other friends with iphone3Gs are seriously considering ditching their contracts for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I only know one person that bought a first gen iphone. He still has it.
    Hence me not saying ALL of those people bought a bigger and/or 3G iPhone.

Other friends with iphone3Gs are seriously considering ditching their contracts for the Pre.
    In which case, rushing the phone to market before it is ready would provide no tangible benefits but several problems.
    In which case, rushing the phone to market before it is ready would provide no tangible benefits but several problems.
    The benefit is that when the 3rd gen iphone gets announced, all those potential new Palm customers may reconsider and decide to go to the new iphone instead. Of course this is total speculation, but its very possible that Apple will get forced into adding multitasking and other Palm Pre functions to get focus back on them. The earlier Palm gets the Pre out, the more people will be excited about it.
    As much as that debate entertains me, we have a thread for it.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    All those people that bought iPhones the first day it came out are up for contract renewals on June 30.
    This is where Sprint and Palm have to bring it with their advertising, show the Pre is a better device than the iPhone, then Sprint's plans are better (and cheaper) than ATT's.
    If they can get some momentum, then word of mouth will take care of the rest.
    If Sprint could poach, say 10 percent of ATT's iPhone's users in the first six months (when the exclusive ends), that would be huge.
    wishful thinking,
    it will be an impact , but not a game changer.
    I doubt any iPhone guys are going to join Sprint.

The target buyers are ex PALMers and combination of WinMo/RIMM users.

IMHO, Sprint should bring it sooner say in a month rather than wait till June 09.

If it requires PALM and SPRINT working 24/7 , I say so be it.

The stakes are high now. Pre did generate positive news. If you bought PALM stock precisely three months back, you would have made six times that.
    So SPRINT should bring it in a month with no software bugs and first rate material quality.

The mobile game has changed with more players, Google, RIMM, Microsoft and PALM revamping their operating systems.

APPLE had a cake walk with iPod ( courtesy of iTunes), but mobile market is tough , and APPLE will have a tough competition.

The iPhone capabilities will improve as the processing speed and media capabilities ( photo) improve.
    But getting a current iPhone user to buy Pre ???? I don't think many will do that.
    Do you understand the iphone was sold initially without contract? Is Pre ging to sell without contract? (no)
    How do you think they got the lines in the Apple stores? Do you think all those people were up for their contract on the same day?
    They don't hope or expect to get anywhere near 10%.
    Sprint announced today they lost 1.3 million customers last quarter 08. That was before the pen season on ETF which has now been running for six weeks.
    Blackberry storm just sold one million in two months, a lot of those were former Sprint customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Other friends with iphone3Gs are seriously considering ditching their contracts for the Pre.
    Really, 90% of my friends with iphone shave never heard of the Pre and are talking about the iphones that will be announced in a couple of months.

I hope Pre sells well. I hope Sprint and Palm do well with it. You won't see big numbers any time six months after launch. Even "biggest selling on sprint" or "biggest selling at Best Buy" (like the last Sprint 'iPhone killer', Instinct) is kind of like, "world famous in Poland."

The test will be in what people are saying after it is actually out after a month.
    Good points. The main reason, I believe, that the Storm is so successful is that THERE'S NO OTHER FREAKIN' OPTION! at the V store. Unless you like WinMobHell. Let's see, you can pick a Centro, a Storm, some other small screen BB, and that's it. So of course, the Storm won. Until today, I was pretty well resigned that that's where I'd go too. But seeing the new Pre video, having confirmation that Sprint's deal will end, even tho' later than I like, I'll settle for a Centro for a year and not have to migrate everything twice. Or become a Crackhead with an unfinished device.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Do you understand the iphone was sold initially without contract? Is Pre ging to sell without contract? (no)
    How do you think they got the lines in the Apple stores? Do you think all those people were up for their contract on the same day?

They don't hope or expect to get anywhere near 10%.
    Sprint announced today they lost 1.3 million customers last quarter 08. That was before the pen season on ETF which has now been running for six weeks.
    Blackberry storm just sold one million in two months, a lot of those were former Sprint customers.

Really, 90% of my friends with iphone shave never heard of the Pre and are talking about the iphones that will be announced in a couple of months.

I hope Pre sells well. I hope Sprint and Palm do well with it. You won't see big numbers any time six months after launch. Even "biggest selling on sprint" or "biggest selling at Best Buy" (like the last Sprint 'iPhone killer', Instinct) is kind of like, "world famous in Poland."

The test will be in what people are saying after it is actually out after a month.
    What do you have against Poland?
    not to mention that a large number of those people are probably Apple fan boys that would buy anything that Jobs gave them...

and me personally I know 3 iPhone users 2 of which have EDGE iPhones and the third held out and waited until the 3G was availble.
    Well i know one iphone user that will switch..me..lol

I still say once people get wind of the Pre, they will be interested. It's really the only cdma competitor with a capacitive screen, real kb, etc. There's not a phone like it.

For Palm, it will be a success..how much a success depends on marketing, execution, and some other little stuff. For Sprint, it'll provide a nice boost while its exclusive, but they'll probably get the exclusive on the Pre2 and so on.
  15.    #15  
    Guess Roger McNamee and I think alike.
    "You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two- year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone, [...] Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later."

Wish I had his bank account, sigh.
    Those iphone 2g people that didn't switch to iphone 3g by now though...i really don't think they're likely candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    What do you have against Poland?
    "world famous in poland" comes from a line in a 25 year old mel brooks comedy, To Be or Not To Be, where mel brooks, whose character is an actor in ww2 era poland, alludes himself as: "world famous .. in Poland"

Just like "I drink your milksahke" this was one of those movie lines that was used for a while. In this case to mean being notable in an relatively obscure place created a false ego boost.

Hence Instinct being biggest selling on sprint (which isnt true anyway), with sprint being half the size of aTT and half the size of Verizon and a tiny fraction of worldwide sales which are hugely dominated by GSM, is a silly boast.

Lastly you will be relieved to know I have nothing against Poland, it is the Poles I dislike. *

*calm down that is a an old joke too, usually used against the French.
    Guess Roger McNamee and I think alike.
    "You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two- year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone, [...] Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later."
    Except he is logically challenged because that statement has been totally debunked as a logical premise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leet Mongoose View Post
    not to mention that a large number of those people are probably Apple fan boys that would buy anything that Jobs gave them..
    I think people need to stop talking about iphones like they are some kidn of smoke and mirors scam. they are incredibly useful devices used by very high demographics.

Would you describe yourself as a fanboy because you speak 'English if I can prove to you that Modern Greek or Thai is more efficient or more expressive?
    I think many people are missing the point about the Pre's target. Understandable, those of us who frequent tech sites compare popular tech products, and certainly McNamee's statment regarding iPhone is an example of that. But Palm does not need to compete with iPhone, Rim, Windows or any smart phone.

When the iPhone was release, it was the first 'smartphone' that many people ever considered buying (in the U.S. at any rate). Only about 10% of the U.S. bought smartphone's at that time (and arguable the 1G iPhone was not even a smartphone, but I digress). Today there is about 20% of people who use smartphones. That still leaves 80% of the people out there who rely on dumbphones. THAT is Palm's target. Palm does not need to peel off iphone or RIM clients, they need to get on the much larger demographic of RAZR and Nokia 1200 (?) buyers with an afordable, easy too use, and practical device.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast