Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Has everyone noticed that the recent Pre demo from MWC still had the same notications messages we saw at CES?

    At 24:30 in the below video:



    So I'm thinking some of this could of been setup prior to running the demo. I guess it makes sense for stuff that they would need outside input to show, like messaging text back and notications messages.

    Also I thought it was strange that even in CES they basically all showed the same stuff. Same web search, same contact (Sophia), same messages.

    So was this done to help the demo run smoothly or are they still far from releasing the Pre?
  2. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #2  
    Yeah, if you notice, he responds to a message about "nice sweater." He makes a crack about it and responds with "I got it on sale." The only problem is both messages were OUTGOING messages. He made a wisecrack about, and then responded to, his own message. That leads me to believe it was all set up before.
  3. #3  
    Well, shocking! C'mon, give some grace. It's a demo...
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Yeah, if you notice, he responds to a message about "nice sweater." He makes a crack about it and responds with "I got it on sale." The only problem is both messages were OUTGOING messages. He made a wisecrack about, and then responded to, his own message. That leads me to believe it was all set up before.
    Or, maybe someone else at the same 'station' had sent the 'nice sweater' comment before.

    And the search term they use is entirely different from the one at CES, there they used Blue Man Group, here this guy used spanish tomato fight or something like that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Or, maybe someone else at the same 'station' had sent the 'nice sweater' comment before.

    And the search term they use is entirely different from the one at CES, there they used Blue Man Group, here this guy used spanish tomato fight or something like that.
    They all used the same search at CES, I know in MWC they used a different one.
  6. #6  
    umm yeah...It's kinda obvious when that "Vegas baby!!" demo message from CES popped up in Barcelona LOL
  7. #7  
    You'll notice in the video that he says he wants to show notifications, and then the notification appears. Then he clears it, and brings it back again. It looked to me like he was holding the spacebar or something to make the notification pop up. Now, it wouldn't be much of a demo if he couldn't control when these things happened, right? I think this is probably a slightly modified version of the real OS, a demo version. But I don't think that's an indicator that it's unfinished, just an indicator that Palm took the time to be sure that the demos were fruitful and supported it with extra software.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You'll notice in the video that he says he wants to show notifications, and then the notification appears. Then he clears it, and brings it back again. It looked to me like he was holding the spacebar or something to make the notification pop up. Now, it wouldn't be much of a demo if he couldn't control when these things happened, right? I think this is probably a slightly modified version of the real OS, a demo version. But I don't think that's an indicator that it's unfinished, just an indicator that Palm took the time to be sure that the demos were fruitful and supported it with extra software.
    yes i agree
  9. #9  
    OK, at 20:00 when he is doing that GTalk demo he gets to it previously by saying he can see in contacts that "David" is online and then he gose to GTalk to respond (to himself as Rhody pointed out) about the sweater - at the top of the Pre screen it says "pvenetiand@gmail.com is offline".

    I would expect them to use the same contacts for a demo as they did in Vegas, but I don't necessarily lie the fact that this whole GTalk thing was not real.
  10. #10  
    i would have been more shocked if it wasn;t all set up before hand.

    Good companies don't send there employess out to randomly demo something w/ no pre determined plan. You know what you are dmeoing, what info is in the phone and what points you want to convey. And what ever actions you take are preplanned

    I help w/ Web devleopment sometimes w/i my company. If i am doing a demo i have all of the above pre planned - and i'm in a financial firm, not a technology firm
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    i would have been more shocked if it wasn;t all set up before hand.

    Good companies don't send there employess out to randomly demo something w/ no pre determined plan. You know what you are dmeoing, what info is in the phone and what points you want to convey. And what ever actions you take are preplanned

    I help w/ Web devleopment sometimes w/i my company. If i am doing a demo i have all of the above pre planned - and i'm in a financial firm, not a technology firm
    I agree it is common practice to have a scripted demo.. sometime even run an app that looks like the program/OS that you are demoing instead of the live product.
    Is that cheating? in a way it is.. but on the other hand as long as it does it in the same way as the real thing would I have no problem with the fact they are trying to take the risk out of a demo...
    You wouldnt want to have a BSOD during a demo with a big audience would you?

    Also the logistics of sending the messages to the demo unit would be a pain..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  12.    #12  
    I understand the importance of making a demo run smoothly, my point was that the demo might of been more mockup vs real demo. So does that show that they are still months away from being ready?
  13. #13  
    Don't think you can make a conclusion either way based on that demo..
    However since people were given the chance of playing with units hands on (though a palm emp needed to keep touch of it with 2 fingers) shows it is at least ready enough to play with.. so I guess they are pretty close to releasing it..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I understand the importance of making a demo run smoothly, my point was that the demo might of been more mockup vs real demo. So does that show that they are still months away from being ready?
    yeah ... see where ur going. It looked like is was mostly ready. But w/ a good demo it should have looked that way
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    So does that show that they are still months away from being ready?
    The problem is that "ready" is a subjective term. There are a variety of compromises, scheduling issues, competitive issues that all go into "ready."

    Every device ever sold probably could undergo more testing and development at very stage from, conception to post beta testing. In this case we have both hardware and a new OS.

    There are pressures. budgets run down, competitors bring new product or new product leaks that hurt you, you sales channels have demands etc. These push dates forward just as other aspects push dates back.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There are pressures. budgets run down, competitors bring new product or new product leaks that hurt you, you sales channels have demands etc. These push dates forward just as other aspects push dates back.
    Dude .. u just defined my job. :-(
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.

Posting Permissions