Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint Loses Less Money, More Subscribers

I always like to root for the underdog, and it would suck if Apple helped AT&T become so big they killed Sprint and then went and sucked themselves to death. I'm ready to jump ship from AT&T, but I just hope that Sprint and Palm do something about the lack of simultaneous voice and data.

Yikes though:

To attract customers, Sprint hopes to launch the new Palm Pre phone in the second half of 2009...
    What happened to first half?
    Great. Just great. Go away Sean.
    I thought Sprint was supposed to save Palm
    It sounds like both of these companies are fighting for their life. No wonder they are so happy to be partners with each other.
    I think Sprint will be fine. They've lacked a great phone for awhile and now will have it.
    If you look at the article it actually says "Sprint hopes to launch the new Palm Pre phone in the second first half of 2009"

Second First Half.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    Sprint Loses Less Money, More Subscribers

What happened to first half?
    Surely they could just ask Obama for some of that bailout money to get them thru...seems like anyone who asks gets something.
    So if it came out in April would that be the first third of the second first half?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bommarkm View Post
    If you look at the article it actually says "Sprint hopes to launch the new Palm Pre phone in the second first half of 2009"

Second First Half.
    I swear on the soul of my father they changed that! I copied and pasted directly from the article!

I'm not sure what second first half means, maybe there's a math major that can explain for us neophytes?
    Uhm... if the first half of the year is 01-06... than the second half of that would be 04-06. April to June. Not exactly rocket science that needs 'splaining.
    Means the same as 2nd quarter.

THings look bleak for sprint. The pre will not make things any better just as the Instinct didnt and it sold a ton. These financial hard times have made things bad and thing will get worse they say in the 2nd quarter so when sprint releases the pre it will be during the worst economic times of the last 50 years. Just too bad the timing for sprint. Not saying the Pre will not be a super seller (it will sell) but if it was during normal economic conditions they probally would sell a ton. I lost my job and a few Palm user friends I have lost theres and they are not getting the pre now and every day that passes and I dont find a job I am closer to not getting one either. Just a harsh reality. i may have to put the pre off for a few months or maybe next year. For me it will depend on the climate and if I can sell my current phone for somewhere near the selling price of a Pre. If it happens in the next month or so I am on the buy side of the fence but anything after april and probally not getting it. I hope sprint makes it. Love there plans , cheapest out there.
    comparing the instinct to the Pre is just.. just...not right..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ^LOL I agree. And remember all those stupid "fake movie" marketing ads they did for the instinct? Talk about waste of money right there.
    Yeah I appologize to the pre .lol. wasnt a good comparion but it was Sprints best selling phone and they lost a ton of customers even with that. I guess that was my comparison.
    Note this from the article:
    after losing 1.3 million. Of those lost, 1.1 million were postpaid subscribers who have annual contracts with the carrier.
    they lost a higher proportion of post paid than the current ratio of post paid to prepaid, which means an even higher portion of the current customer base is now prepaid. Also numbers only go to end of December, we are over halfway thorough following quarter they have probably been hemorrhaging even more the past seven weeks as sprint customer losses have been increasing each quarter over 08

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Of the over 200 Sprint phone rollouts , no rollout has ever been more similar than the Instinct and the Pre;
    both announced at a major industry event
    Both announced at joint event with head of maker and head of sprint
    both publicly announced 4 months or so before sales
    both announced with Hess saying ARPU as his first comments
    both announced with Hess saying "everything plans" as his second comment
    both spun as iphone killers or iphone response
    both won their rollout event's "best in show product"
    both tied to iphone by tech blogs and press

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Surely they could just ask Obama for some of that bailout money to get them thru...seems like anyone who asks gets something.
    Sprint has asked. Hesse specifically proposed a emergency network, a 2bbillion
    "Sprint Pitches $2 Billion Emergency Network to Obama"
    Last edited by aero; 02/20/2009 at 08:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    both spun as iphone killers or iphone response
    Not true.

both announced at a major industry event
    Wow...well, wow, if countless other phones weren't also introduced at industry events.

both publicly announced 4 months or so before sales
    Wouldn't this have something to do with said industry events occurring 4 months or so before the devices were ready to launch?

both tied to iphone by tech blogs and press
    As is every touchscreen released by any manufacturer on Earth these days.

Sprint has asked. Hesse specifically proposed a emergency network, a 2bbillion
    "Sprint Pitches $2 Billion Emergency Network to Obama"
    That aint bailout money.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not true.
    Absolutely true. references since day one

Wow...well, wow, if countless other phones weren't also introduced at industry events.
    200+ phones introduced by Sprint. How many of those 200+ introduced at major industry events by the head of maker and head of sprint, won best in show and other conditions? EXACTLY 2. Pre and Instinct

Wouldn't this have something to do with said industry events occurring 4 months or so before the devices were ready to launch?
    Nope. not with both sprint and maker intrucing them jointly.

That aint bailout money.
    Again, you are alone in that opinion
    Sprint Wants Its Government Handout, Too

Seybold's Take - Wireless and The Bailout
    By Andrew M. Seybold
    WirelessWeek - February 01, 2009
    Sprint needs to hurry up and get those new Blackberry phones and try to last until the Diamond 2 and TP2 comes out. Not saying the Pre won't bring in some numbers but one phone can't save a company (except for the iPhone)
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Absolutely true. references since day one
    Every market leading handset was referenced, and Palm expressly denied it being "an iPhone killer."

Untrue.

200+ phones introduced by Sprint. How many of those 200+ introduced at major industry events by the head of maker and head of sprint, won best in show and other conditions? EXACTLY 2. Pre and Instinct
    Wrong. the Instinct was introduced by Sprint at CTIA. the Pre was introduced by Palm. Sprint came in toward the end of the keynote as they had to since they were the exclusive launch service provider. So did Facebook as a partner. Are they "launching" the phone too?

Nope. not with both sprint and maker intrucing them jointly.
    See above.

Again, you are alone in that opinion...
    Not an opinion. It wasn't part of the bailout.
    to the original question: Yes

After seeing how the iphone brought so many people to At&T, we can dedue the Pre (if it is as good as it seems) can seriously help Sprint.

Of course, The pre alone will not save Sprint. THe improved customer service, good pricing, and efficent management is all still required
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Every market leading handset was referenced, and Palm expressly denied it being "an iPhone killer."
    You missed the presentation and the interpretation by editors at treo central. that is why you have that wrong.

PRe and the last "iphone killer" instinct share a combination of things NONE the other +200 phones released by Sprint share.

Wrong. the Instinct ]was introduced by Sprint at CTIA[/URL]. the Pre was introduced by Palm.
    False. It was Instinct was introduced head of US for Samsung at CTIA. (soudjn familiar?)
    Hesse then took the stage. (sound familiar?)
    Hesse mentioned "ARPU", he then mentioned "everythign plans (soudn familar?).
    Sprint then within a few days placed instinct sales material on Sprint.com, asking you to sign up for more info and to be notified when released (sound familiar?)
    Ir release four months later (timing sound familiar?)
    Instinct won the best in show for the event (sound familiar)
    LOL.

Not an opinion. It wasn't part of the bailout.
    Yes according to all the press Sprint did not get its bailout request this go. They made a request to get a bailout and got no traction.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast