Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is official....contrary to previous beliefs, the entire phone will be glossy, it is indeed ONLY when you buy the touchstone that you receive the matte finish soft paint back cover to hold the phone in place on the touchstone. This explains why every phone we have seen had matte back, cause they used touchstone to demo it....total BUMMER...i have a treo pro on sprint now and the shiny LOOKS cool but is totally scratch and finger print prone....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have seen both, based on if they were going to demo touchstone or not. I thought this was known already.
    engadget has an article stating that the touchstone battery cover will be matte black and not glossy like the default cover.

Palm Pre's Touchstone charger requires matte, soft-touch battery cover - Engadget
  4.    #4  
    thats where i got the info at
    ugh...I hate glossy. I ditched the glossy black centro for the matte green version and love it.

All glossy just screams throw a grippy case on me thus adding to the overall bulk.
    This information has been known since CES.

Nothing new here except for the fact that they say it won't be available separately which on Palm's website says it will. Whatever the case I'm still getting it.
    Guess I will be buying the touchstone so that I can get the matte finish!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It makes perfect sense that a softer back would help the pre "stick" to the touchstone because of more friction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    This information has been known since CES.

Nothing new here except for the fact that they say it won't be available separately which on Palm's website says it will. Whatever the case I'm still getting it.
    where did they say this? I hav?lt heard thiis before. Why would they say it won't be sold seperatly after saying that it is not included with the touchstone?
    The fine print on Palm's site for the Touchstone specifically says:

Requires Palm Pre back cover for Touchstone charging dock, sold separately.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    It makes perfect sense that a softer back would help the pre "stick" to the touchstone because of more friction.
    I'm not sure what friction has to do with it since its "stuck" together by magnets. its not like the phone is just resting on the charger.
    Just gotta add my comment that friction will be important. From Physics 101, the magnets (and perhaps a component of gravity) will provide the normal force. This combined with the friction coefficient provides the tangential force that will resist the Pre sliding off the Touchstone. Friction will not be a big factor in lifting the Pre directly off the stone.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Just gotta add my comment that friction will be important. From Physics 101, the magnets (and perhaps a component of gravity) will provide the normal force. This combined with the friction coefficient provides the tangential force that will resist the Pre sliding off the Touchstone. Friction will not be a big factor in lifting the Pre directly off the stone.
    I <3 you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I <3 you.
    be careful you don't want to come off as desperate ... play it slow ;-)
    No big deal for me.

I like the look of the glossy finish and I put Best Skins Ever skins on all my phones, iPods and even my Mac. It is not even noticeable on the phone and adds a tacky (sticky, not ugly) feel to the phone.

Excellent protection. I would highly recommend one. Obviously, they are not available yet, but I will be getting a full phone version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I <3 you.
    Nerdiness is under-rated.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Exactly...
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. The magnets are not only applying forces in the normal plane. They are also applying tangential forces that far exceed the tangential forces applied by the weight of the Pre. You can see this in the demos when the Pre snaps into place. I think the matte finish is to hide scuffing because the Pre will rub on the Touchstone with fairly high forces.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. The magnets are not only applying forces in the normal plane. They are also applying tangential forces that far exceed the tangential forces applied by the weight of the Pre. You can see this in the demos when the Pre snaps into place. I think the matte finish is to hide scuffing because the Pre will rub on the Touchstone with fairly high forces.
    I'm sure it is the case that the magnets apply tangential forces, but that doesn't rebut the earlier point that friction is also a force that would help the Pre stay on the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I'm sure it is the case that the magnets apply tangential forces, but that doesn't rebut the earlier point that friction is also a force that would help the Pre stay on the touchstone.
    You could have a completely frictionless surface and it would stay in place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast