Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't mean this in a snarky way, but it's a learning curve to press the only button on the face of the device and to drag a card offscreen when it is a touchscreen-oriented device to begin with? Contrast that with Windows Mobile or Android.
    Gestures in general take a learning curve for some. I personally can pick up a device and have it down fairly well in a short amount of time (on the order of 10 minutes or so). I could see an issue for others tho... where they have a hard time remembering specific motions due to their "instinct" from previous devices. Reminds me of my transition from POS to WM... it can be overwhelming in general. So, yes, a menial task like pushing the lone button and doing an upward swipe can be frustrating when someone is inundated with an entire new set of "commands".

Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    As a fairly new member of the forum the first thing I think of before I post is how much shi* am I going to take for this post. HAHA. You have to b ready to be ripped apart.
    Amen.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    What makes me think this is not that case is that when demoing cards, the presenters will note that what you are seeing in the card view is a live view of the app.. meaning, if something changes to the view while you are viewing the cards the view is going to change on the card. So the app is not just idly sitting in the background waiting for you to open it again.
    Again, as best as I can understand from articles and videos, the most recently used apps that are at the top of the stack (meaning, still on the screen and not pushed off to the side) are completely live. The Pre might have 5 or 10 or 50 applications completely live, but beyond that, it starts to checkpoint applications that haven't been used in a while or are not visible on the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Again, as best as I can understand from articles and videos, the most recently used apps that are at the top of the stack (meaning, still on the screen and not pushed off to the side) are completely live. The Pre might have 5 or 10 or 50 applications completely live, but beyond that, it starts to checkpoint applications that haven't been used in a while or are not visible on the screen.
    Interesting.

How did you gather that? I think I've missed that tidbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Interesting.

How did you gather that? I think I've missed that tidbit.
    Yeah....I remember that too....it was in the original press conference or sometime soon after.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Gestures in general take a learning curve for some. I personally can pick up a device and have it down fairly well in a short amount of time (on the order of 10 minutes or so). I could see an issue for others tho... where they have a hard time remembering specific motions due to their "instinct" from previous devices. Reminds me of my transition from POS to WM... it can be overwhelming in general. So, yes, a menial task like pushing the lone button and doing an upward swipe can be frustrating when someone is inundated with an entire new set of "commands".
    Are people this...fragile...going to be looking for a new smartphone, tho?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are people this...fragile...going to be looking for a new smartphone, tho?
    There are people out there with Centros who don't know a fraction of what it can do that will want the Pre simply because of the hype it provides (i.e. Sidekick/iPhone status) that are "fragile" in that sense. So I think so yes...

Just so you know, I have about 4 students I can think of off the top of my head that will be in this category (especially since they know I love phones and I've shown them the Pre stuff).
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Responsiveness & the lag when an app is launched is what concerns me the most. I am sure Palm is working on it, but what I see on the demos so far is discouraging. I am still buying a Pre on the 1st hour of its availability. I hope they can make it much faster. This was the biggest thing I missed when I went from palmos to winmo.
    Um, would you like to see how long I have to stare at the White Screen of Wait while my 700p clicks at me when I switch apps? NONE of the demos took this long to do ANYTHING.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Um, would you like to see how long I have to stare at the White Screen of Wait while my 700p clicks at me when I switch apps? NONE of the demos took this long to do ANYTHING.
    Yeah...My Centro lags quite a bit when going to and from the phone app.......
    I am kinda used to it by now.
    My main point today at least would just be the shear amount of apps and functionality for POS. I hope the App database for webOS becomes as large as it did for POS.
    A year from now, there will be a thread called "Top 10000 ways webOS beats PalmOS"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123