Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't help but think that something like this is why Palm really didn't let anyone hold the Pre at CES or MWC:

Thievery at MWC! Telstra exec's HTC with WinMo 6.5 stolen - Engadget

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    There are probably several reasons for that. First reason is this fear of theft that you mention. Second reason, that many have suggested, is that webOS is not quite finished yet, and they do not want people to use those buggy or unimplemented features. Third reason, I hope, is that there are some great features already implemented that they do not want to reveal just yet.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I know, I'm not being entirely serious that that's the reason, just was amused by it, hence the smiley face.
    they could let you hold it but this dude would be right behind you:

http://tinyurl.com/5lk9nq
    It's because of the liability issue. Rumor is that the pre-production Pre's have been exploding a lot lately. Many Palm employees have already lost numerous fingers. It's a pretty bad issue, and it is the sole reason the Pre didn't come out on 2/15.

Duh, do you guys research at all?
    Damn you gotta love the Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    It's because of the liability issue. Rumor is that the pre-production Pre's have been exploding a lot lately. Many Palm employees have already lost numerous fingers. It's a pretty bad issue, and it is the sole reason the Pre didn't come out on 2/15.

*laughing*
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Damn you gotta love the Goat!
    I need to ask you a question... Are you backbeat from the BGR posts? If so, you are hilarious!!!
    Nope I go strictly by Darth Pooh. What makes you ask?
    He referred to one of your posts once about silly season. I thought it might have been you.

He is so funny. Mean as a badger to boot.

So... On my day off I constantly have my Blackberry in hand refreshing the posts page. I desperately need to find a life soon. Goat wants the Pre in his hooves now!
    I read about this on the Interwebs - I know it's true!
    He referred to one of your posts once about silly season. I thought it might have been you.

He is so funny. Mean as a badger to boot.

So... On my day off I constantly have my Blackberry in hand refreshing the posts page. I desperately need to find a life soon. Goat wants the Pre in his hooves now!
    I don't try to be mean, I just have little patience for ignorance, which can come off as being hostile. :-D

Silly Season isn't something I coined... it's been around for ages, it commonly refers to the period before a devices release regarding the speculation and absurdity of people's fanaticism.

I do understand your eagerness for the device, I am right with you, yet somehow I have a feeling I'll have to have my 800w on my hip while I get used to the Pre. I hope I am wrong... I hope the Pre can replace my Treo right out of the box, but it seems highly doubtful.
    But seriously, to address the topic question. They are probably afraid that a random user might stumble on a fault. In the Precommunity video (which is very good btw).

Palm Pre 26 minute live video demo from MWC09! | Pre Community

the demonstrator seemed to be a bit reticent to stray from the 'script' when asked about handling images in webpages. He seemed to be worried about it falling over. (referring to the 'engineers'.

Implies to me that release is a ways off yet.
    It looks to me that the reason might be because the slider mechanism hasn't been perfected yet. If you look in both of the slashgear videos posted today (the google maps one and the 26 minute overview one) the people in the videos seem to have an incredibly difficult time getting the keyboard to slide out. In both instances the reps had to use both hands to do it.

In my experience, most of the slider phones I've used can be operated using one hand. I'm sure that's one of Palm's goals and they probably don't want a whole bunch of people commenting right off the bat saying how difficult it is to open.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

How do you think they got the name Palm? That's all you're left with.
    Haw!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    It looks to me that the reason might be because the slider mechanism hasn't been perfected yet. If you look in both of the slashgear videos posted today (the google maps one and the 26 minute overview one) the people in the videos seem to have an incredibly difficult time getting the keyboard to slide out. In both instances the reps had to use both hands to do it.

In my experience, most of the slider phones I've used can be operated using one hand. I'm sure that's one of Palm's goals and they probably don't want a whole bunch of people commenting right off the bat saying how difficult it is to open.
    If you watch the BBC Interview with Palm CEO, Colligan had no trouble sliding the phone with one hand.
    Last edited by NachoB; 02/19/2009 at 09:13 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    LOL..along with the thief comment..i think its really common sense. If you got your life blood pre production product in your hand, you tend to baby it. Would you let someone use it when its only really been optimized for the demos? They should be glad they're allowed to hold it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post

Is that Zeus ???? ha !

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I don't try to be mean, I just have little patience for ignorance, which can come off as being hostile. :-D
    Oh yes .. .I was following a thread you were active in the other day. Won;t say who or which one, but the OP was posting like a total dope. you let him have it. I would have joined the fray, but it wasn't worth the effort

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    LOL..along with the thief comment..i think its really common sense. If you got your life blood pre production product in your hand, you tend to baby it. Would you let someone use it when its only really been optimized for the demos? They should be glad they're allowed to hold it.
    well , if a serious answer to this thread was called for, i think this is it.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I thinking its not ready and we are not going to see it until June.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast