Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Precommunity just posted a video a out Google Maps, I think it's a first, I don't remember seeing it used before.
    New blog post: Palm Pre gets HTML5 Google Maps app, offline webapps http://precommunity.com/palm-pre-26-...wc09-200918618
    Last edited by Mahootzki; 02/18/2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Link
    There are two very interesting things here to me: 1) This is a demonstration by a Google guy, not a Palm guy, and he calls the Pre “arguably one of my most favorite devices.” Not clear from either the blog or the video whether this was a demo in the Palm area at MWC or somewhere else.
    2) He says something towards the end of the video about "this is not a native app." It wasn't clear to me whether he meant "this is not a native app written in C or C++" or whether he meant "this is an application running in the browser." Either way, I think the point is that the performance is incredible for an application that wasn't written in typical native application languages.

The potential for the Pre really is astounding--the philosophy is so far beyond what we understand that all our old paradigms no longer fit. The Pre will either be a revolution that changes the face of mobile computing or it will be an amazing one-off that fails to capture the imagination of the public because it was too far ahead of its time. It looks like it's shaping up to be the former, and it seems that there are a lot of developers out there who get it.
  3.    #3  
    Maybe one day we'll hear the term on an upcoming new phone "is this the next WebOS killer" instead of iPhone killer... ;-)
    Yeah, he said its not a native app, its a web app. I'm amazed at how powerful the web apps can be. I'm glad to hear that Google is showing some love for the Pre. I love their services.
    Palm Pre gets HTML5 Google Maps app | Pre Community
    Clickable link for those lazy folks out there
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    For all the Pre Lovers out there, there is this 26 Minute Demo live from MWC 09..
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    For all the Pre Lovers out there, there is this 26 Minute Demo live from MWC 09..
    I think this guy is the best so far.
    Is no one a little skeptical by how choppy the zooming seemed to be? I know it's a bit nit-picky to be criticizing an app that was just written, but I don't like seeing that kind of thing!

Am I alone here?
    i thought the lag in some of the applications was annoying. Hopefully this is due to pre-production and the released device will be snappier.
    Last edited by swieder; 02/19/2009 at 08:17 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Yep, its almost as laggy as the iphone in transitions but should be better in the released device.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep, its almost as laggy as the iphone in transitions but should be better in the released device.
    I don't think that's processor lag we're seeing...it's download lag. Can't do much for that.

Also, the "native app" thing is questionable....aren't all webOS native apps basically local web pages anyway?
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    I've only seen one demo of someone doing the zoom gesture smoothly. It was one of the CES demonstrators, they obviously practiced it. I'm not sure, I'll ever need to zoom - except maybe in gps mode.

The best thing about this demo of google maps is that it means the gps is not locked to carrier services - so it's probably a real satellite based gps. Also means no need to pay for 3rd party map software, if google has you covered.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    I don't think that's processor lag we're seeing...it's download lag. Can't do much for that.

Also, the "native app" thing is questionable....aren't all webOS native apps basically local web pages anyway?
    From my understanding, no, because the dev kit allows developers to access different areas and technology in the pre that you can't when you're just surfing a website.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    No, they're not merely local web pages, although they use similar languages to web pages. There is an additional framework that developers for webOS can make use of. That allows developers to make calls to different parts of the hardware, such as the accelerometer or GPS. You couldn't take a webOS app and put it in a web browser on your PC and expect it to work.
    this is the gsm device which is a little different from the CDMA device we saw
    Has anybody else noticed the big clock on the main screen that was visible before he opened Google Maps? Never seen that before, usually the main screen is just blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Has anybody else noticed the big clock on the main screen that was visible before he opened Google Maps? Never seen that before, usually the main screen is just blank.
    That's the lock screen. You saw him drag from the lower onscreen button outward to unlock the device.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    this is the gsm device which is a little different from the CDMA device we saw
    In which way?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    That's the lock screen. You saw him drag from the lower onscreen button outward to unlock the device.
    Aaah...never seen that one before.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Aaah...never seen that one before.
    It was also seen at the start of this video:

and briefly mentioned in this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1550992
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast