Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    European Palm Pre Multitasks Better Than Sprint's - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Among other things, Palm's VP disclosed yesterday that the European version of the Pre would be capable of simultaneous Voice and Data connections, (meaning that you can surf the web while being on the phone) but "that Sprint's U.S. version won't be able to do [that]."

WTF.

I guess that's one of the draw backs of EVDO. Let's start a UMTS revolution, shall we?
    I don't wanna surf the net while holding the phone to my ear. Just not a good experience..
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't wanna surf the net while holding the phone to my ear. Just not a good experience..
    This is for people who have a blue tooth, or wish to look up something online while on a call, or anyone with the capability of doing two things at once. If that's not you, I understand, but don't rain on my parade. There are a ton of people who will be disappointed with this information.

KTHXBAI
    I was kidding Actually, i can see where it would be useful but its something i can live with. The costs/limitations of gsm is still too much to worry about it.
  5.    #5  
    Oh, I'm sorry. I was blinded by my rage and unable to detect the sarcasm in your post = (

Anyways, I could have sworn that Mattias (SP?) said something about this being possible during his presentation at CES. I'm going to go re-watch it and check.

(btw, I totally agree with you. There's absolutely no excuse for switching to fake 3G (GSM))
    its due to the CDMA network bro, not cause palm didnt want to do it. The treo 750 on ATT can do both voice and data at the same time cuz its running GSM for voice and HSPDA for data.

Currently, Sprint AND Verizon phones CANNOT due both data and voice b/c both of their data and voice run off of the EVDO network. Both rev o and rev A are the same.

When sprint rolls out with wimax is the only TIME you will be able to see data and voice at the same time. At that time EVDO will handle voice and Wimax will handle data and both can be done at the same time
  7.    #7  
    Oh I'm aware of that now, after reading a bunch. I was just going to do some ranting because previously I had heard that this would be the first phone capable of it. Clearly I misheard.
    Yeah, this is a sad limitation of the CDMA technology.

But whats the limitation you have on using spell-check? Unpossible isnt a word...its impossible! LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Oh I'm aware of that now, after reading a bunch. I was just going to do some ranting because previously I had heard that this would be the first phone capable of it. Clearly I misheard.
    This was discussed somewhere, and I believe it was Ed Colligan that mentioned being able to be on the phone and surfing at the same time at CES. The outcome of the discussion was that he was referring to being connected to wifi that allowed simultaneous voice/data, not over the carrier network for both.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Or how about surfing the web when a call comes in. If you are actually transmitting web data at the time, I would think the Sprint Pre would send your call right to voicemail.
    No calls always have priority.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You sure about that? I tried this on a Sprint Blackberry and my calls went right to voicemail.
    Current Treo's work this way now, data is terminated for the incoming call, and you're taken away from what you're doing so the incoming call screen can come up. With the Pre, incoming calls will be a notification and not stop you in the middle of what you're doing, but your data connection will probably be halted until you ignore the call.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    There are already a bunch of discussions going on regarding voice and data at the same time.

Let me reiterate once again. If you're using voip, its possible to do voice and data but sprint does not currently support this and won't be in the foreseeable future. this is a limitation of CDMA, and has nothing to do with Palm. So if someone said, you can do voice and data on CDMA, its true to a certain degree.

There are many who likes to chat while on speakerphone or bluetooth and look up direction or a website, or using the phone as a modem and talk at the same time which I find extremely useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You sure about that? I tried this on a Sprint Blackberry and my calls went right to voicemail.
    On EVDO, data will be placed on 'standby' when a call comes in, and so you get the call and data is halted. On 1xRTT, calls go to voicemail if you're using data.
    How long until a working voip application is released on the Pre? EVDO Rev A has the latency requirements for it.

Using my Centro as a modem I have used a soft voip phone on my laptop. It's a little laggy but works for conference calls.

I am hoping a decent voip app will allow us to do this on the Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It was my understanding that simultaneous data and voice was just a pipe dream anyway.......

I am not sure I care about being able to access data while talking AS LONG AS contact info and stuff like that is all cached locally (which it is)
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry. I was blinded by my rage and unable to detect the sarcasm in your post = (

Anyways, I could have sworn that Mattias (SP?) said something about this being possible during his presentation at CES. I'm going to go re-watch it and check.

(btw, I totally agree with you. There's absolutely no excuse for switching to fake 3G (GSM))

Voice and Data can be done at same time if data is coming over wifi instead of Sprint network.
    How long until a working voip application is released on the Pre? EVDO Rev A has the latency requirements for it.

Using my Centro as a modem I have used a soft voip phone on my laptop. It's a little laggy but works for conference calls.

I am hoping a decent voip app will allow us to do this on the Pre.
    its not gonna happen when u can have data on wimax and voice on evdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yeah, this is a sad limitation of the CDMA technology.

But whats the limitation you have on using spell-check? Unpossible isnt a word...its impossible! LOL!!
    I tried correcting OPs original title. Did he meant to say "Not possible" or "Possible"?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast