Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i doubt i would ever want to talk on the phone and surf at the same time.....that is until you all started discussing it. now i want to do it. dagnab it. why did you have to discuss something like this? now i can not live without it
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    While I'm excited about having a Rev A device, this certainly is not a big deal for me. Most of my heavy surfing is done on a dual 19" monitors, not a 3.1" screen What I'll be using this for is getting stock updates or a quick news fix, checking the weather, turn by turn directions to a restaurant, checking out movie reviews and show times while at the restaurant... streaming some radio, maybe some facebook or twitter, and oh... the occasional phone call as well

Basically just a bunch of constant short burst browsing that's a part of every day life anymore.
    It's not a show-stopper. But, I've been on calls when my boss or biz associate says, "Oh, I forgot to send that info to you. Here it comes. Let me know when you have it, we'll review the ... (document, e-mail etc)."

That's pretty frustrating, to have to disconnect the call, pull the e-mail, then call back. Particularly when it's a pre-scheduled conf call or meeting.

But, it's only happened ~4-5 times in the all the years I've been using a Sprint smartphone (goes back to Treo 600 days).
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I tried correcting OPs original title. Did he meant to say "Not possible" or "Possible"?
    unpossible - Wiktionary
    Simpsons reference from 1994 (guess that dates me)
    Last edited by mho6; 02/17/2009 at 10:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Simultaneous connections would be useful if you have a tethering plan. Tethering to a computer and still being able to take a call. Or, talking on speaker while sending an attachment via email.

These are just two of the many reasons to want the ability to have simultaneous connections.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    Simultaneous connections would be useful if you have a tethering plan. Tethering to a computer and still being able to take a call. Or, talking on speaker while sending an attachment via email.

These are just two of the many reasons to want the ability to have simultaneous connections.
    Any respectable business person would also have a separate data card. I know that I do. And I would NEVER want to combine them. What happens if my phone breaks? There goes my internet. Nope. Too important while traveling to be connected WITH A BACKUP!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    I'm pretty sure my current GSM pro will do this. ie: I can send an MMS (which is data) while on the phone. I must try browsing next time i'm handsfree. I know it's one of the advantages of GSM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Any respectable business person would also have a separate data card. I know that I do. And I would NEVER want to combine them. What happens if my phone breaks? There goes my internet. Nope. Too important while traveling to be connected WITH A BACKUP!!
    I actually do have an USB air card but if I can reduce cost why wouldn't I. What happens if your aircard breaks? Anyways the laptop was just one example. If I use my phone as a external storage it would be faster for me to send a file from it without having to open the laptop. Plus there have been times when I was in phone conversation and was asked a question where google came in handy and opening the laptop wasn't.

But to each his own. I guess our situations are not the same. Having used simultaneous voice and data on my phone, I don't know if I can go back.
    Last edited by rijc99; 02/18/2009 at 02:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    We should not have this discussion. It's 2009 after all. CDMA networks should have died a painful death a long time ago.
    I am a business person and I don't have a separate data card. Does that make me not respectable?
    Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    I actually do have an USB air card but if I can reduce cost why wouldn't I. What happens if your aircard breaks? Anyways the laptop was just one example. If I use my phone as a external storage it would be faster for me to send a file from it without having to open the laptop. Plus there have been times when I was in phone conversation and was asked a question where google came in handy and opening the laptop wasn't.

But to each his own. I guess our situations are not the same. Having used simultaneous voice and data on my phone, I don't know if I can go back.
    The point was that if having internet access is critical you will have multiple options. So if 'your aircard breaks' you will plug in the device and use tethering as a backup.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I thought you _could_ do voice+data, but only using RTT 1x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i doubt i would ever want to talk on the phone and surf at the same time.....that is until you all started discussing it. now i want to do it. dagnab it. why did you have to discuss something like this? now i can not live without it
    Because the CEO of Sprint brought it up!

Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    I have an iPhone also, but hardware aside, WebOS is a way better OS than the iPhones.
    And this is based on your long-term testing of the Pre or just your first month using a Pre?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    gbp - there are extended batteries for the iPhone also.
    That is one of the consumer values of buying a device with a monster consumer footprint. Makers of software and hardware for the device are looking at about 25 millions sold iphone by end of summer and one one hundredth that number of PRE.

Throw on top of that the fact that iphone buyers are in a higher demographic on how much they spend on their phone and service, and in marketing that generally means iphone buyers are more likely to buy accessories and software.

Respectable? you mean risk averse. I suppose you also feel any "respectable" or "risk averse" business person would also likely not buy an untested OS and handset until it has been on the market six months or so
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I suppose you also feel any "respectable" or "risk averse" business person would also likely not buy an untested OS and handset until it has been on the market six months or so
    Good call!

It would be a nice feature to have but considering I've never had the ability, I won't be able to miss it.

We'll still have the ability on WiFi and WiMAX soon.

I was away for a few months when WIMAX was announced and didn't really get to see the discussions about it. I'm assuming it will be extra when it comes out?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    I thought you _could_ do voice+data, but only using RTT 1x.
    No, with 1xRTT, calls go to voicemail if they come in while you're on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, with 1xRTT, calls go to voicemail if they come in while you're on the phone.
    Did you mean while you're using data?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Did you mean while you're using data?
    Yeah, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    its due to the CDMA network bro, not cause palm didnt want to do it. The treo 750 on ATT can do both voice and data at the same time cuz its running GSM for voice and HSPDA for data.

Currently, Sprint AND Verizon phones CANNOT due both data and voice b/c both of their data and voice run off of the EVDO network. Both rev o and rev A are the same.

When sprint rolls out with wimax is the only TIME you will be able to see data and voice at the same time. At that time EVDO will handle voice and Wimax will handle data and both can be done at the same time

This is not entirely true. Its not just CDMA because my co-workers iphone can not be on the phone and also use the web unless he is on wi-fi. So its not just CDMA since the iphone doesn't use CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    This is not entirely true. Its not just CDMA because my co-workers iphone can not be on the phone and also use the web unless he is on wi-fi. So its not just CDMA since the iphone doesn't use CDMA.
    I think what they are trying to say is that there are 2 camps:
    Not having simultaneous voice/data because of the device
    and
    not having it because of the technology.
    In the iPhone's case it is because of the device
    In the Pre's case it is because of Technology. (the GSM version of the Pre will (likely) support it)
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Simultaneous voice and data requires a 3g connection. Your friend was either on the edge connection or has a first gen iPhone. My 3g iPhone can be on a call and connect to data at the same time.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast