Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I repeatedly see people asserting here that Palm cannot "wait" much longer on the release of the Pre or they will have their "thunder stolen" by flashy new handsets on the horizon. Well, now that a lot of those flashy handsets have materialized at MWC, why not take a look at the supposed competition and see if there's danger lurking:

Samsung - Couldn't get a single Android handset functional and present at MWC despite the fact that they are supposedly dropping Android handsets in the US this year at the insistence of a couple of unnamed carriers. Of the non-Android sets like the OmniaHD, the touchscreen implementation is so shoddy and non-responsive, Gizmodo devoted an entire story today with video on how NOT to release a touchscreen phone, and Samsung handests were among the chief culprits.

LG - Announced an agreement to build 50 or a kazillion Windows Mobile phones, and had a few with custom skins on top. Nothing notable.

HTC - Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 handsets have bigger, higher resolution displays, but are STILL stuck with WM 6.1, no headphone jack, and removal of significant onboard memory among other gimped features. HTC Magic/G2 handset is medicore and features almost no technical improvements over the G1.

Acer - A bunch of laughed at, gimpy WinMo handsets.

And that's the "thunder stealing" competition to launch in the next 6-12 months. Wow. The only major player not covered is Apple, who will update the iPhone again at some point, but will likely have the exact same OS and form factor (just a higher resolution screen and improved camera).

So why does Palm need to rush out an unfinished Pre again?
    I think you are wrong to state that HTC's TP2 and TD2 did not STEAL THUNDER. Most reviews coming in are praising these devices as TOP NOTCH. I know I'll be looking at the TP2 come later this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I repeatedly see people asserting here that Palm cannot "wait" much longer on the release of the Pre or they will have their "thunder stolen" by flashy new handsets on the horizon.
    I think the reason the PRPRPR $professionals$ $and$ $press$ $are$ $saying$ $this$ $is$ $because$ $they$ $have$ $seen$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $past$. $Especially$ $with$ $Palm$.

There will be both increased interest and increased scrutiny when it finally does release, even if late now.
    I know , if Palm would not have made that announcement @ CES I would probably today have an Instict or A HTC Diamond.... I have never owned a Palm, I have friends with them, but they dont push their devices to the limits so they can't give reports that I want... but I am willing to w8 now until whenever, one reason... FLASH
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I think you are wrong to state that HTC's TP2 and TD2 did not STEAL THUNDER. Most reviews coming in are praising these devices as TOP NOTCH. I know I'll be looking at the TP2 come later this year.
    But they're selling them to the same Windows Mobile business crowd that bought the last ones. And what's been added? Landscape TouchFlo 3D? A bigger screen? Gimmicks like "Push Internet"?

What good is that with WinMo 6.1 still underneath? The number one comment regarding this handset was "Please put Android on it!" same as the comments regarding the Touch HD and the first Touch Pro.
    The pro2/diamond2 will receive free upgrades to 6.5.
    Those devices are not for the business crowd only... with TF3D it is def a prosumer option.

And HTC announced that anyone who buys those devices, will get the 6.5 upgrade for free. Bigger Screen and Push Internet... are selling points. Why are you dismissing these devices? Don't be so blind sided by the Pre's/Palm's short comings. I love the company and the announced device, it doesn't mean I am not delusional to think that time will pass them by like it has them and so many other companies before. SDK AFTER LAUNCH is DEADLY for them... they need a big marketplace catalog @ launch!
    Great thread. I was thinking the same. It's winmobile overload. And if WM6.5 is accurate, its not much better but should be liked by those already in the WM camp.

Palm has indicated it will be out on time and is on track. Their timeframe is first half..means by end of June. It's not late til after June so i'm not sure where this concern is coming from. It's still only FEB.

I've seen most coverage of the new stuff and its not much to look at. If WM7 is a rewrite then that could really shake things up. But if the Zune look (which i dislike) and honeycomb is the best they've got... IE supposedly gets flash later, but then again, so will the webkit browsers which are much better.

Let's be real. Palm got toasted by the media and anyone else for having a dated OS. WM's is just as dated but keeps getting "refreshed" on the outside with cute icons. It's not very touch friendly which is all the rage now. Has a crap browser. Bigger screen and push internet? Really? Yes, its powerful and can do a lot of things, but its downright boring to do them on, requires constant tweaking, and to me is just a pain to use. I suppose that's great for work which can be a pain anyways and so it fits right in.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/17/2009 at 10:42 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    The pro2/diamond2 will receive free upgrades to 6.5.
    I almost forgot...Windows Mobile 6.5 looks awful. The MWC videos showed choppy finger scrolling all over the place, and the fonts on the new Zune-like start screen don't even extend to the rest of the OS, plus the new start screen shows LESS information at a glance than the current one (or even the TF3D start screen)

Is there anyone who thinks this isn't Microsoft's own version of TF3D?
    Excellent analysis. There are some laughingly inaccurate claims about WM here. What some don't seem to realize is the numbers show that while WM and RIM are the top choices of prosumer business, it also obviously selling millions to the "fat middle" palm emphasizes is Pre's target, even in 6.1! The new Devices coming out by HTC, and other companies, orders of magnitude bigger than Palm (!) adding new commitments to WM are bearing down the longer the luster fades on Pre's announcement back in early January.
    if Apple release a major Iphone update (rumored nano phone) before Palm gets the Pre out, and selling, you can say good bye to the thunder.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  12.    #12  
    Look, there's no doubt that HTC moves millions upon millions of WM devices. And they do their very best to sex them up. But the TP2 and TD2 upgrade the screen and the camera, and almost nothing else. The same buggy OS is present to be "upgraded" to a new, laggy OS at your convenience. Same headphone adapter. Less onboard memory than ever. I just don't see HTC expanding their WM marketshare much with these devices.
    That would be your opinion...
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/19/2009 at 01:03 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    if Apple release a major Iphone update (rumored nano phone) before Palm gets the Pre out, and selling, you can say good bye to the thunder.
    Again, I think this vastly overstates the iPhone effect. Number one, there hasn't been an iPhone rumor yet that's been a world beater. A 2G Nano with slightly reduced functionality? Wow. A higher resolution screen and video recording. Whoo-hoo.

The iPhone 3G launched with a fifty percent price reduction, thousands of apps, and 3G service. I don't think any of these "rumored" new iPhones will have anywhere near the same impact. And despite the iPhone 3G successfully launching, T-Mobile sold over a million G1s, and Verizon did almost the same with the Storm. Why? Because these handsets are carrier exclusive just like the Pre, and Sprint sure as hell can sell a couple of million Pre phones to its 50 million or so subscribers if it truly makes it its flagship phone. That's all the thunder that would be required.
  15.    #15  
    That would be your opinion...
    They "shipped" a couple of million Touch Diamonds. I guess they're going to ship four million Touch Diamond2 phones upon launch? Ok.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/19/2009 at 01:03 AM.
    By the time those devices release, TD1 owners will want an upgrade. Plus the "fat middle" is getting larger and larger by the year. You are being blinded by your love of the Pre... it's okay tho. I understand. It's silly season... arbitrary numbers are status quo.
    And that's the "thunder stealing" competition to launch in the next 6-12 months. Wow. The only major player not covered is Apple
    Nokia out sells every other smartphone manufacturer by a significant margin (>40% of the market).

Apple who will update the iPhone again at some point
    Phil Schiller has very strongly implied June.

but will likely have the exact same OS and form factor (just a higher resolution screen and improved camera).
    There is plenty of speculation to the contrary. I'd guess higher res screen, more flash memory (32 GB), more RAM (256 MB) and a better processor are all distinctly possible. The last two would probably allow them to have multi-tasking of third-party apps, which would make a big difference to the user experience.
  18.    #18  
    By the time those devices release, TD1 owners will want an upgrade. Plus the "fat middle" is getting larger and larger by the year. You are being blinded by your love of the Pre... it's okay tho. I understand. It's silly season... arbitrary numbers are status quo.
    Talk about silly? You think Touch Diamonds and Touch Pros are aimed at "the big fat middle"? The two most expensive non-Nextel phones on Sprint are...The Touch Diamond and the Touch Pro. The two most capable phones to get no mainstream advertising from Sprint are...the Touch Diamond and the Touch Pro. Sure, AT&T is advertising "The Fuze" but they are doing so amongst several other handsets like the Blackberry Bold, which outsells it handily.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Nokia out sells every other smartphone manufacturer by a significant margin (>40% of the market).
    As I made clear to Pooh, I'm talking the US market. The Pre success will be judged by how it performs here, not abroad. Same goes for most non-Symbian handsets.

There is plenty of speculation to the contrary. I'd guess higher res screen, more flash memory (32 GB), more RAM (256 MB) and a better processor are all distinctly possible. The last two would probably allow them to have multi-tasking of third-party apps, which would make a big difference to the user experience.
    I doubt it. The multi-tasking most people do on iPhones is leaving music playing while they web browse, message, or Facebook, which the device is already capable of. More flash memory is a guarantee, but not a differentiator that will crush exclusive phones on other carriers. The current 16GB iPhone has several times the built-in memory of a Touch Diamond or G1 or whatever else. It didn't stop those handsets from selling just fine.
    Excellent point. Look at the all the advertising Sprint committed to the Touch Pro and Touch Diamond. They are advertised in the Washington Post every single Week. I got a mass mailing Sprint that had both -- but no Palm 800W! Forbes Magazine had nice ads with Touch Pro and Treo Pro both at the beginning of this month.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast