Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I mentioned a similar thing in another thread. The Pre is NOT in the public's mind. Palm really needs to start hyping up the Pre in the GENERAL PUBLIC'S mind, not just tech people and the like.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If they don't, its because they want a quiet launch (not sure why). But if they do anything it won't be til there's a firm launch date.
    I agree that the buzz is among tech people, but that's neither here nor there with my point about the next iPhone being a threat. Hopefully eventually when the phone is released the buzz will radiate out to the general public. We're all assuming that.

If it helps, imagine I didn't mention "buzz" or next big thing. Imagine I framed it as "being the top, most advanced phone" It needs it's time in the spot light.
    Palm has been pretty cocky when asked about the iphone..maybe they want to launch at same time? I wouldn't, but i think its more likely that its not ready yet. At this time, i really just hope it doesn't go past June to be honest. But sooner the better.

All the demos basically cover the same thing. Go over the hardware, show the screen, synergy (email, contacts, calendar, sms/im), browser, multitasking, notifications.

Someone asked "hey can you save that pic (on the browser) to the device? The demo guy wasn't sure.

It just leads me to believe they have it ready enough to demo those points above, but need to smooth out the rest. Copy & paste i think was shown once, but they said still working on it.
    They have every reason to be cocky with the features we've seen. Well at least for this version of the iPhone. Next release? All bets are off.
    Regardless of what new Winmob phones get released, none of them will garner the kind of publicity and buzz of the Pre. Winmob is old news, and the media (both traditional and digerati) need NEW and FLASHY to get a buzz on. That doesn't mean winphones won't sell, but they won't steal the Pre's buzz.

A new iPhone? More complicated. Anything Apple releases gets lots of coverage, but if it's a warmed over 3G, the press may pan it as just same-old same-old. (The response to the new Mac laptops has been decidedly luke-warm.) And I've never put much stock in the iPhone "nano" rumors. The entire iPhone experience is built around the screen, the browser, and multi-touch. Cut the screen size in half, r worse, and all of those suffer.

My 2 cents worth. I think the Pre will get a ton of buzz when it's released, as long as Palm gets the software right. No matter when that happens.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm has been pretty cocky when asked about the iphone..maybe they want to launch at same time? I wouldn't, but i think its more likely that its not ready yet. At this time, i really just hope it doesn't go past June to be honest. But sooner the better.

All the demos basically cover the same thing. Go over the hardware, show the screen, synergy (email, contacts, calendar, sms/im), browser, multitasking, notifications.

Someone asked "hey can you save that pic (on the browser) to the device? The demo guy wasn't sure.

It just leads me to believe they have it ready enough to demo those points above, but need to smooth out the rest. Copy & paste i think was shown once, but they said still working on it.
    It would be a DISASTER if they do not launch it on time (before June 30). I also wouldn't go head to head with the imminent iphone launch. They'll just hit a brick wall (Apple has more marketing dollars than Palm). What they need to do (IMO) is to launch a FULL month before the next iphone (April or May) for both CDMA and GSM version. This way they cover more ground and actually avoid Apple from reigning in their parade.

As for the demo guy, he did mention that you cannot save the pic (yet), but you can send a link to the picture/website.

The copy and paste implementation on the Pre is still a bit clumsy IMHO. I do hope they have a better solution for this (like the copy and paste of Docs2Go on the iphone or similar to that effect).
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I agree that the buzz is among tech people, but that's neither here nor there with my point about the next iPhone being a threat. Hopefully eventually when the phone is released the buzz will radiate out to the general public. We're all assuming that.

If it helps, imagine I didn't mention "buzz" or next big thing. Imagine I framed it as "being the top, most advanced phone" It needs it's time in the spot light.
    Oh I definitely agree that the next iPhone is a big threat. Others don't seem to agree and think Palm should take it's sweet time.

IMO they HAD time. Now they don't. This is the do or die moment for Palm. Don't blow it Palm by releasing too close to the biggest hyped phone in the public's mind EVER(so it seems). Also failing to promote the Pre properly. Unless Apple blows the next release somehow, which could happen considering they've been screwing up a bit lately themselves.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Regardless of what new Winmob phones get released, none of them will garner the kind of publicity and buzz of the Pre. Winmob is old news, and the media (both traditional and digerati) need NEW and FLASHY to get a buzz on. That doesn't mean winphones won't sell, but they won't steal the Pre's buzz.

A new iPhone? More complicated. Anything Apple releases gets lots of coverage, but if it's a warmed over 3G, the press may pan it as just same-old same-old. (The response to the new Mac laptops has been decidedly luke-warm.) And I've never put much stock in the iPhone "nano" rumors. The entire iPhone experience is built around the screen, the browser, and multi-touch. Cut the screen size in half, r worse, and all of those suffer.

My 2 cents worth. I think the Pre will get a ton of buzz when it's released, as long as Palm gets the software right. No matter when that happens.
    That's because Apple TOOK OFF features the die hards have been using for years and now they AREN'T happy. That's one thing I meant about Apple screwing up lately. You don't **** off the fan base. One hope for the Pre is that the next iPhone pisses people off too, LOL! The 3G did when it was discovered the chip used left something to be desired. Either that or AT&T's service, or both.

As for WM, it never got too much press in the general public anyway, LOL! But I still believe business users will be looking at 6.5 even if it is "mediocre" as some think. Reason, the IT departments and Exchange users. Those 2 were even reluctant to take on the iPhone. I remember the iPhone got rejected for business by several corporations. Maybe that's changed but I really don't see WM disappearing. But I do think they should take a cue from others and integrate media much better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I mentioned a similar thing in another thread. The Pre is NOT in the public's mind. Palm really needs to start hyping up the Pre in the GENERAL PUBLIC'S mind, not just tech people and the like.
    I was watching the MWC demo of the pre today and my friend came up and started watching it a little...He said, oh you're thinkin about getting an iPhone huh? He had no idea it wasn't an iPhone, and when I told him that it wasn't he still seemed a little confused and just walked away. We need some ads!
    Can't wait for the updates!!
    One thing about the upcoming new iphone..it'll garner less buzz than previous. Simply because there's no way they can make such a huge jump as they did with the last one. APP store, 3g, gps..that was pretty significant.

Storage bump and higher res screen perhaps probably along with a few tweaks to the OS? Not such a huge jump. IMO, i don't think multitasking is in the cards. And if offering their first iphone for 99 steals all the buzz, then i give up and will simply marvel at how smart apple is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's losing that appeal, which is why iPhone now has more marketshare than all Windows Mobile devices combined. RIM has gained. iPhone has gained.
    And windows mobile is on 22 million devices and growing fast. That is a pretty health share whether you think iphone is 20 or 25 million. HTC is growing quite fast.

Windows Mobile is SINKING.
    LOL. Where do you get this? it is cracking me up. The third larges handset maker ON THE PLANET just inked a deal to bring 50 models of phone with WM.

The most profitable advanced smartphone maker after Apple, HTC, is bring a slew of WM devices.

In one, two, three, four and five years from now OSWEB won't have the footprint of Windows mobile and everyone knows this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I guess my point is people are fickle.
    The opposite is true actually. Don't confuse the fickleness of tech blogs with what buyers do.

Most consumer buyers buy on brand. They buy on Status. They buy what their friends recommend. They buy what celebrities have. That is not fickleness, that is the result of big footprints and huge marketing budgets.

Most business buyers and business are much more conservative than you assert. They do not jump on a new untested OS, that has not undergone the rigors of large scale implementation.

The tech blogs an customers initially expressing interest and excitement in bleeding edge unmade products announces for to six months before they launch are fickle. They are not just susceptible to stolen thunder- but ruled by it.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    And windows mobile is on 22 million devices and growing fast. That is a pretty health share whether you think iphone is 20 or 25 million. HTC is growing quite fast.
    Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Reached Its Lowest Growth Rate With 11.5 Per Cent Increase in Third Quarter of 2008

Global smart phone shipments rise 28% (Canalys press release: r2008112)

HTC is doing just dandy. Windows Mobile as an OS is not. From Q3 of 2007 to Q3 of 2008, both RIM and Apple came from WAY behind to beat out WM in smartphone OS marketshare despite each offering far fewer models than all of the various Windows Mobile handset manufacturers.

When you go from leading Apple and RIM by 9 and 2 percent respectively in marketshare to TRAILING them by 4 and 2 percent respectively despite offering more volume, you are NOT "growing fast."

LOL. Where do you get this? it is cracking me up. The third larges handset maker ON THE PLANET just inked a deal to bring 50 models of phone with WM.
    See above. I'm talking about Microsoft's current status. And volume clearly isn't working much to Windows Mobile's advantage.

In one, two, three, four and five years from now OSWEB won't have the footprint of Windows mobile and everyone knows this.
    This sounds much like the overconfident ramblings of industry execs about the iPhone. Fast forward two years and....
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    One thing about the upcoming new iphone..it'll garner less buzz than previous. Simply because there's no way they can make such a huge jump as they did with the last one. APP store, 3g, gps..that was pretty significant.

Storage bump and higher res screen perhaps probably along with a few tweaks to the OS? Not such a huge jump. IMO, i don't think multitasking is in the cards. And if offering their first iphone for 99 steals all the buzz, then i give up and will simply marvel at how smart apple is.

Doesn't really matter. There will still be lines at every Apple store when the next iPhone gets released, and it will be covered on news stations all across America. There will be nothing like this when the Pre gets released. It has a lot to do with brand excitement and loyalty. Apple has spent years building a strong relationship with its customers. Palm has spent years ruining its relationship with its customers.

AppleInsider | Apple leads 2009 customer satisfaction survey
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The opposite is true actually. Don't confuse the fickleness of tech blogs with what buyers do.

Most consumer buyers buy on brand. They buy on Status. They buy what their friends recommend. They buy what celebrities have. That is not fickleness, that is the result of big footprints and huge marketing budgets.

Most business buyers and business are much more conservative than you assert. They do not jump on a new untested OS, that has not undergone the rigors of large scale implementation.

The tech blogs an customers initially expressing interest and excitement in bleeding edge unmade products announces for to six months before they launch are fickle. They are not just susceptible to stolen thunder- but ruled by it.
    An interesting on no doubt insightful comment, but I still don't think in changes the core point. In the absence of extremely vast marketing budgets, and perhaps even with, it's tech people and early adopters that drive the early success of these devices.

It even follows from your arguments. You assert the average consumer buys based on status and what friends recommend. Businesses invest in proven technology that's been tested.

Let's accept that as fact. If businesses want things that have been tested, tried and true, and consumers want what their friends tell them is cool, where does a device get its start? From the fickle people on the bleeding edge and the tech media, who buy them, test them, and tell their friends they are cool.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Doesn't really matter. There will still be lines at every Apple store when the next iPhone gets released, and it will be covered on news stations all across America. There will be nothing like this when the Pre gets released. It has a lot to do with brand excitement and loyalty. Apple has spent years building a strong relationship with its customers. Palm has spent years ruining its relationship with its customers.

AppleInsider | Apple leads 2009 customer satisfaction survey
    Which then begs the question as to why Palm should care so much about Apple's plans, no? Yes, their success is assured. All of this is true whether the Pre launches now or in 4 months. All Palm can control is whether it launches properly or not, not when it will launch. If Palm doesn't care about whether the Pre launches properly or not, then it will be in stores as soon as the boxes leave their Asian manufacturing facilities. If Palm does care - and everything Pre-related thus far indicates they do - then the Pre will launch when the OS and apps are in good shape, bugs are minimized, inventory is good, and marketing is in place.

Notice Apple, or any other company for that matter, does NOT appear in that equation.
    Which then begs the question as to why Palm should care so much about Apple's plans, no? Yes, their success is assured. All of this is true whether the Pre launches now or in 4 months. All Palm can control is whether it launches properly or not, not when it will launch. If Palm doesn't care about whether the Pre launches properly or not, then it will be in stores as soon as the boxes leave their Asian manufacturing facilities. If Palm does care - and everything Pre-related thus far indicates they do - then the Pre will launch when the OS and apps are in good shape, bugs are minimized, inventory is good, and marketing is in place.

Notice Apple, or any other company for that matter, does NOT appear in that equation.
    Palm would have to consider every sale of the next iPhone as a potential lost sale of the Pre. Thats why its important for Palm to maximize its chances at success and release the Pre before the 3rd generation iPhone becomes available.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Palm would have to consider every sale of the next iPhone as a potential lost sale of the Pre. Thats why its important for Palm to maximize its chances at success and release the Pre before the 3rd generation iPhone becomes available.
    Uh, every sale of any phone anywhere at any time in the recent past, present or future is a potential lost sale of the Pre, is it not? Kinda hard for Palm to do anything about that.
    Uh, every sale of any phone anywhere at any time in the recent past, present or future is a potential lost sale of the Pre, is it not? Kinda hard for Palm to do anything about that.
    Yeah, but simple business sense would probably lead Palm to want to release its product before its main competitor releases a product that will likely achieve more attention and press.