Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Yeah i think it comes down to whether you think the MWC announcements are killing the Pre buzz. I don't think it matters. Time will kill anything.

Palm just has to find ways to keep it fresh between now and the launch. Offering tidbits and what not. No matter what, i think the time around launch will renew the buzz...
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    EVERYTHING you are talking about is anecdotal!!!

THE DAMN PRE ISN'T RELEASED! And a forum BUZZ should be just as measurable to an Engadget article according to your system of metrics.
    The Pre is an anecdote? Is the Sun appearing in the sky this morning an anecdote too? I mean, the Pre exists. People have seen it, touched it. It will eventually be released this year. These are facts.

Forum "buzz" is also factual in that it exists, but as for whether it means that ALL Windows Media users are excited by the Touch Pro 2 or excited by the Pre...well, that's not factual. It's anecdotal. See the difference?

An Engadget article is factual in that it exists, but its content can be argued upon. But I'm not citing the content of the articles. Only the fact - not anecdote, but fact - that the leading tech publications cared way more about the Pre announcement than they did the HTC Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 announcements. And they tend to cover stuff that their readers want to see, hence Gizmodo putting up a "everything you wanted to know about the Pre" article weeks after the announcement because there was so much hunger for Pre content. There just isn't that same hunger for news on the new HTC devices because they are so very similar to the existing ones there are very few unanswered questions.

So while it's cute that you try to dismiss this all as opinion, there are actually facts being discussed here too. Well....I'm discussing them, at least.
    Alright, since you're attacking my grammar now (which was auto correct on my phone) I am really out of this thread. I am not running... just annoyed now. You see I wat to respond but you play by a set of hypocritical rules that I can't keep track of. Thanks for keeping me occupied for the final hour of work.
    Ergh. I really didn't want to argue anyone's point. Darn you you witty Pooh.

: )
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Palm wants this to be both a consumer and business phone. Palm might have a hard time getting a person wanting to buy a consumer device with 8gig of memory if for about the same amount they can get a 32 gig device. An extra 24gig is huge.
    Ok, but Apple sold 16GB iPhones at the same time HTC sold millions of 4GB Touch Diamonds worldwide. Same 4X memory multiplier. Just didn't seem to be much of a problem, and I bet their advertising budget isn't anywhere near the one for Palm and Sprint regarding the Pre.

I will also tell you I am a big iPhone fan that is also looking forward to purchasing the Pre. If I can get a iPhone at around the same time that also multitasks, I would not be as interested in the Pre anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Fair enough. I have an iPod Touch 16GB, and that's as far as I want to go into the Apple ecosystem for now.
    Just to put things into a little perspective...

From twist.flaptor.com which keeps track of Twitter trends. I tried searching Omnia and OmniaHD and it was so low it didn't even show on the chart.

Though, I think the iPhone has an unfair advantage because of all the posts that say "Pre has flash before iPhone" or "Is Pre an iPhone killer" etc. In other words, the iPhone is mentioned not only in iPhone related topics but also in topics about every other smartphone.
    Holy crap... There is a "buzz o meter".

Goat be damned.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Alright, since you're attacking my grammar now (which was auto correct on my phone) I am really out of this thread. I am not running... just annoyed now. You see I wat to respond but you play by a set of hypocritical rules that I can't keep track of. Thanks for keeping me occupied for the final hour of work.
    Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. I simply corrected you. "Sigh" is an "attack"? That's mean these days?

You keep saying you want to respond (just like you said a kabillion posts ago you were leaving this thread, but I digress...), but I am playing by a hypocritical set of rules. I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just to put things into a little perspective...

From twist.flaptor.com which keeps track of Twitter trends. I tried searching Omnia and OmniaHD and it was so low it didn't even show on the chart.

Though, I think the iPhone has an unfair advantage because of all the posts that say "Pre has flash before iPhone" or "Is Pre an iPhone killer" etc. In other words, the iPhone is mentioned not only in iPhone related topics but also in topics about every other smartphone.
    Awesome...too funny.
    Also, I'd be willing to bet those two bumps for HTC have to do with the first one being around when they announced the Touch Pro 2 and Touch Diamond 2, and the second being for the new HTC Android phone that I can't remember the name of.
    And what's funnier is that the spikes occurred when HTC unveiled their phoned at MWC

And what's hilarious is people that takes this graph as the total say so for the millions of people living in America

Lol
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  12.    #72  
    Huh?
    You know, one other thing is I'm not entirely sure how that graph I posted works. I mean, I don't know if tags such as #palm, #pre, and #meetpre (what the official Palm Twitter account has been tagging it with), are counted in that search.

Then again, at the same time, it's probably catching a ton of random ones as well, about pre-ordering or pre-release, so it might equal out.
    Is there someone who doesn't think that a 32 gb Iphone with a better camera/video, higher rez screen, software refresh, multi tasking, and copy and paste wouldn't be a game changer for the pre? Why not throw Flash on there? Especially if it is competitively priced and available soon after the pre?

Certainly these things are more then possible.
    Unless the iPhone gets a faster CPU like the TI OMAP 3430 or something similar I think Steve Jobs brought up a point last year as to why it's difficult to port flash over:

iPhone Users: There Will Be No Flash Soup For You | Gadget Lab from Wired.com
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Not quite true anymore. Iphone Flash: Flash on iPhone IS Coming, Up To Adobe To Clear Tech Hurdles A more recent article, from gizmodo.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    HTC - Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 handsets have bigger, higher resolution displays, but are STILL stuck with WM 6.1, no headphone jack, and removal of significant onboard memory among other gimped features. HTC Magic/G2 handset is medicore and features almost no technical improvements over the G1.
    Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 will initially ship with Windows Mobile 6.1, but will be upgradeable to Windows Mobile 6.5 - for free - when Microsoft makes it available toward the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Is there someone who doesn't think that a 32 gb Iphone with a better camera/video, higher rez screen, software refresh, multi tasking, and copy and paste wouldn't be a game changer for the pre? Why not throw Flash on there? Especially if it is competitively priced and available soon after the pre?

Certainly these things are more then possible.
    All that stuff, and i would still pick the Pre and get rid of my iphone. The only way i might think about it is to see what kind of refresh the OS gets. If i could multitask without having to go back click to go back to the home screen to open another app. we'll see what they do with the software, that's the kicker for me.
    Well, for sure many of us would. But in terms of the vast majority of users, it would hurt pre sales. Right now it seems that there is a good chance an objective person thinks the pre, as demonstrated is better then the iPhone. Things get murkier if Apple makes a few changes. It becomes more of a toss up. Not good for Pre sales. So out with the phone already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Well, for sure many of us would. But in terms of the vast majority of users, it would hurt pre sales. Right now it seems that there is a good chance an objective person thinks the pre, as demonstrated is better then the iPhone. Things get murkier if Apple makes a few changes. It becomes more of a toss up. Not good for Pre sales. So out with the phone already.
    The problem is, just multitasking isn't good enough, the great thing about it on the Pre is the cards interface. It would take pretty much a complete redesign of the UI on the iPhone to match this, in my opinion, and it's something that could easily be spotlighted on a commercial.