Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 176
  1. #41  
    But you are making opinion based statements... so no one is going to change your mind unless you physically have the TP2 and Pre in your hands. Kind of a useless thread if you have your mind set in stone on "Thunder Stealing".

    And I brought in the Rant because you did... because you think I am calling the "fat middle" the general population of phone users, when indeed the fat middle was a reference by Palm to be the WM users of the smartphone population.

    By saying I have no clue what I am talking about doesn't make your lack of "the fat middle" justified. You just think the Pre is the end all be all... so, since this is your thread, I suppose it is, now isn't it?

    And when you call something a "Pre-Killer" ( or in your case, you said, it wasn't one), than you are assuming the Pre is a device to beat and is in a place where it must be beaten. You're back talking now...
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/19/2009 at 01:09 AM.
  2. #42  
    When accounting firms were recruiting while in college i remember some saying "you'll get your own laptop" etc trying to entice you.

    Wow, in 1998, that did entice me. Laptops were expensive and great toys. These days people are like "so what?"

    Well now phones have entered the pic as enticers. BB's aren't exactly seen as fun phones or enticing. Neither are the boring WM phones. A Pre might be...if it can get the job done which of course is priority. We'll have to see in time how WebOS plays out.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    And in your opinion, these other phones aren't stealing the Pre's thunder. But in others opinions, they very well could. How the hell can you dispute something that isn't factual for two pages? LMAO must be slow at the job today
    LoL... it's the only reason I decided to stick it out... slow day
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    LoL... it's the only reason I decided to stick it out... slow day
    LOL

    You know that wasn't directed to you though, right?
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
  5. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    HTC - Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2 handsets have bigger, higher resolution displays, but are STILL stuck with WM 6.1, no headphone jack, and removal of significant onboard memory among other gimped features. HTC Magic/G2 handset is medicore and features almost no technical improvements over the G1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I think you are wrong to state that HTC's TP2 and TD2 did not STEAL THUNDER. Most reviews coming in are praising these devices as TOP NOTCH. I know I'll be looking at the TP2 come later this year.
    Gotta go with Darth here. You're just flat out not trying to be objective at all. They could've put out a device that literally spits out gold and you'd talk it down because of your pre-pre-infatuation.

    The rest of them, yes...not much there. However, if you frequent WinMo forums you know that the buzz about the Diamond and Pro 2 is big, and is making a number of WinMo people who were curious and thinking about giving the Pre a serious look now waiting to see which of these becomes available sooner.

    Diamond2 has a nice screen, I believe bigger than the Pre's. TouchFlo 3D is well loved and many of the new things with it seem to be aimed at giving similar, though inferior, support for organizing things by contacts (email, sms, chats, etc) akin to the Pre. Its ready made for WinMo 6.5 which while an evolutionary rather than revolutionary step is anticipated within the WinMo world. Plus a 5mp camera is a nice bonus added in.

    Pro2 has a larger keyboard than the Pre, has the tilt screen which is a wonderful addition, the added speaker and microphone should help with call quality and the conference calling feature should be well liked by business folks. The screen size is a huge plus as well.

    Add on to this, yes, there is push email. My Market Place and My Phone both add to this package. Yeah, the Diamond lost the 4 gig internal, but now gains an SD slot. Think that's not a big bonus? Go look at all the complaints of the pre not having an SD slot.

    I'm still very excited about the Pre, but I'll tell you truthfully. As a Diamond user personally and a WinMo user since my old Compaq Aero running Windows CE, 6.5 and the two new HTC devices have me now not focused simply on the Pre. Especially mixed with the slow amount of info coming out about the Pre and no set release date.

    I know the HTC devices will be a while before they're in the U.S. likely, however we may be 4 months away from the Pre as well.

    I DO think, at least some, Palm has lost some of their momentum and will continue to lose it if they don't do something at MWC in regards to the WinMo crowd. And this is a crowd they do need to win over to grab some converts due to how wide spread WinMo devices are in general.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again, I think this vastly overstates the iPhone effect. Number one, there hasn't been an iPhone rumor yet that's been a world beater. A 2G Nano with slightly reduced functionality? Wow. A higher resolution screen and video recording. Whoo-hoo.

    The iPhone 3G launched with a fifty percent price reduction, thousands of apps, and 3G service. I don't think any of these "rumored" new iPhones will have anywhere near the same impact. And despite the iPhone 3G successfully launching, T-Mobile sold over a million G1s, and Verizon did almost the same with the Storm. Why? Because these handsets are carrier exclusive just like the Pre, and Sprint sure as hell can sell a couple of million Pre phones to its 50 million or so subscribers if it truly makes it its flagship phone. That's all the thunder that would be required.

    If Apple announced and released a 32 gig iPhone with multitasking, before the Pre gets released, Palm is in big trouble.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    LOL

    You know that wasn't directed to you though, right?
    Yeah of course... btw, I read your write up in the other thread. Thanks for sharing that... seems like they have a winner on their hands if they can get the application catalog ramped up and ready to go.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I DO think, at least some, Palm has lost some of their momentum and will continue to lose it if they don't do something at MWC in regards to the WinMo crowd. And this is a crowd they do need to win over to grab some converts due to how wide spread WinMo devices are in general.

    That is the fat middle Palm wants a chunk out of. They are letting HTC crap all over their Pre-ade (Parade). They need to act soon, and I think the SDK being released prior to launch is a winning ticket. Can you imagine if people got to see what freeware apps they could use on the emulator? Can you imagine what that would do for the Pre hype?
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    But you are making opinion based statements... so no one is going to change your mind unless you physically have the TP2 and Pre in your hands. Kind of a useless thread if you have your mind set in stone on "Thunder Stealing".
    No, no, no.

    I've not only established a very specific focus for this discussion, but I've offered some metrics for "thunder" such as the quantity and quality of coverage on sites like Boy Genius Report, Engadget, or Gizmodo. If one wishes, we can also expand the discussion to coverage in mainstream pubs like USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and Newsweek - all of which have done Pre-specific articles, but none of which (as far as I know...I've been seacrhing) have covered the launch of the HTC TP2 or TD2.

    Thus, if the Pre has way more quantity and quality of coverage in all of those areas, and these MWC devices do not, how can they be "stealing the thunder", so to speak, of the Palm pre?

    That's not an opinion. If you have another metric of "thunder" that these devices have surpassed the Pre in, let's hear it.

    And I brought in the Rant because you did... because you think I am calling the "fat middle" the general population of phone users, when indeed the fat middle was a reference by Palm to be the WM users of the smartphone population.
    But you didn't even quote me accurately on the Rant. Thus, it's hard to discuss things with you when you simply make stuff up.

    As for the "fat middle", I've looked up numerous articles containing Colligan's quote of what that is. None mention Windows Mobile. As a matter of fact, he expressly implied that it's the area between RIM and Apple. And that's not WM.

    By saying I have no clue what I am talking about doesn't make your lack of "the fat middle" justified. You just think the Pre is the end all be all... so, since this is your thread, I suppose it is, now isn't it?
    This...makes no sense as written. I have a "lack of the fat middle"? What does that even mean? And AGAIN with the straw men. I don't think the Pre is the be all, end all. But you continue to make stuff up to misrepresent my position.

    And when you call something a "Pre-Killer" ( or in your case, you said, it wasn't one), than you are assuming the Pre is a device to beat and is in a place where it must be beaten. You're back talking now... it's clear to anyone who reads your posts you got in way too deep with your lack of knowledge on WM and the smartphone market.
    Yes, I lack so much knowledge that I know that WM has nothing to do with Ed Colligan's definition of the big, fat middle. And I know that they're in decline marketshare-wise, and are being trounced by RIM and Apple, both of whom offer a fraction of the handsets that Windows Media manufacturers do. <<edited by berd>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/17/2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Insulted other member
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If Apple announced and released a 32 gig iPhone with multitasking, before the Pre gets released, Palm is in big trouble.
    Why? We already know a 32GB iPhone will hit some point soon. that's no surprise to anyone and it certainly didn't make coverage of the Pre take on a fatalistic "They're doomed!" tone. If the iPhone multitasks, it certainly won't be to same degree of fluidity and ease that WebOS does with the cards concept. That's not even compatible with the icon/list heavy tone of the iPhone OS. And it's telling that Apple wouldn't be stressing either of these capabilities in their ads, just as they don't bother mentioning memory size in the current iPhone ads.

    None of these things would affect the launch of the Pre on Sprint. Sprint customers who have stood by this long are not waiting at the drop of a dime for the announcement of such an iPhone.
  11. #51  
    I personally don't think there was anything that outshined the Pre from what we've seen from MWC so far, either.

    I mean, what do we have, a bunch of HTC Windows Mobile phones with higher speced hardware that still run Windows Mobile. I'm sure TouchFlo is refined even more from the last versions, but its still Windows Mobile. (And I really dislike the fact that they just pile on a custom interface on top of whats already there, makes WM run slower and need the higher powered hardware.)

    The OmniaHD which looks nice and all but its running Symbian which hasn't really caught on in the US, and plus to me its too huge.

    Oh and one new Android phone, which has the same unpolished interface as the G1, except with an onscreen keyboard instead.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why? We already know a 32GB iPhone will hit some point soon. that's no surprise to anyone and it certainly didn't make coverage of the Pre take on a fatalistic "They're doomed!" tone. If the iPhone multitasks, it certainly won't be to same degree of fluidity and ease that WebOS does with the cards concept. That's not even compatible with the icon/list heavy tone of the iPhone OS. And it's telling that Apple wouldn't be stressing either of these capabilities in their ads, just as they don't bother mentioning memory size in the current iPhone ads.

    None of these things would affect the launch of the Pre on Sprint. Sprint customers who have stood by this long are not waiting at the drop of a dime for the announcement of such an iPhone.
    Palm wants this to be both a consumer and business phone. Palm might have a hard time getting a person wanting to buy a consumer device with 8gig of memory if for about the same amount they can get a 32 gig device. An extra 24gig is huge.

    I will also tell you I am a big iPhone fan that is also looking forward to purchasing the Pre. If I can get a iPhone at around the same time that also multitasks, I would not be as interested in the Pre anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
  13. #53  
    Everyone here thinks your thread is opinion based. Don't try to use Engadget or some other crap RSS blog to base your argument. Those are opinion based too.

    No one is following HTC as closely as they are with Palm because they have put out winner after winner whereas with Palm, this is fresh and NEW for them. Of course everyone is covering that.

    I've always equated the fat middle with prosumer smartphone users. People who don't necessarily need a smart phone for business but for life.

    And no, there is no metric of thunder, don't be stupid. It's obviously another opinion you want quantified. No one is misrepresenting you but yourself... you CLEARLY called another device a NON-PREKILLER!!! Stop it already.

    You're questions are lame... I clarified my stance on what the fat middle is a few times now, which in turns negates your lame questioning of advertising and costs of phones (the fat middle will put out 300 bucks for a subsidized phone i.e. look at the iPhone, they are the fat middle palm wants too).

    My main point was... the TP2 and TD2 were JUST announced yesterday... of course there is no print on it, yet. And it won't be the same outpouring of the Pre coverage either, it doesn't mean it won't steal the REAL "thunder" from Palm, which is in the SALES department.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Gotta go with Darth here. You're just flat out not trying to be objective at all. They could've put out a device that literally spits out gold and you'd talk it down because of your pre-pre-infatuation.
    This makes no sense, but why bother, right?

    The rest of them, yes...not much there. However, if you frequent WinMo forums you know that the buzz about the Diamond and Pro 2 is big, and is making a number of WinMo people who were curious and thinking about giving the Pre a serious look now waiting to see which of these becomes available sooner.
    This is anecdotal evidence, which is no evidence at all. I frequent lots of different forums and tech boards, too. The "buzz" on these devices is debatable (as I said...most of the comments I read about these devices lament the lack of a headphone adapter, capacitive screen, and a better OS), but the quantity and quality of coverage about them is not, and it's not even close to that of the Pre.

    Diamond2 has a nice screen, I believe bigger than the Pre's. TouchFlo 3D is well loved and many of the new things with it seem to be aimed at giving similar, though inferior, support for organizing things by contacts (email, sms, chats, etc) akin to the Pre. Its ready made for WinMo 6.5 which while an evolutionary rather than revolutionary step is anticipated within the WinMo world. Plus a 5mp camera is a nice bonus added in.

    Pro2 has a larger keyboard than the Pre, has the tilt screen which is a wonderful addition, the added speaker and microphone should help with call quality and the conference calling feature should be well liked by business folks. The screen size is a huge plus as well.
    And these specs are wonderful, but they just haven't created the same sort of excitement in any sort of objective metrics.

    Add on to this, yes, there is push email. My Market Place and My Phone both add to this package. Yeah, the Diamond lost the 4 gig internal, but now gains an SD slot. Think that's not a big bonus? Go look at all the complaints of the pre not having an SD slot.
    It's just more anecdotal evidence. I could say "Look at all of the people who say 8GB onboard is great and more than they'll ever need" and it would be equally true and equally valueless.

    I'm still very excited about the Pre, but I'll tell you truthfully. As a Diamond user personally and a WinMo user since my old Compaq Aero running Windows CE, 6.5 and the two new HTC devices have me now not focused simply on the Pre. Especially mixed with the slow amount of info coming out about the Pre and no set release date.
    I think it's good that people aren't necessarily "focused" on just one device. The Pre and WebOS are not without flaws. There's always room for improvement, and the market will eventually catch up, and then Palm has to come up with something new yet again. It's cyclical.

    I know the HTC devices will be a while before they're in the U.S. likely, however we may be 4 months away from the Pre as well.

    I DO think, at least some, Palm has lost some of their momentum and will continue to lose it if they don't do something at MWC in regards to the WinMo crowd. And this is a crowd they do need to win over to grab some converts due to how wide spread WinMo devices are in general.
    The WinMo crowd, so to speak, is dwindling with no help needed from the Pre. They are losing marketshare to RIM and Apple, and Palm doesn't need to "win over" this crowd to do well, tho lots of WinMo (and Apple and RIM) people are already intrigued and excited for the Pre anyway.

    Palm losing "momentum" is pretty vague, but I can certainly agree that interest in the Pre isn't as red hot as it was that first week. There's no way it could be. Apple went through a similar crest-and-ebb wave of buzz when they first launched the iPhone. The product - assuming the Pre is really that good, which it may or may not be - redeems all.
  15. #55  
    And calling me petty... and reducing it to a personal attack, that's just proving my point you have nothing else to say and you're grasping at your OWN straws...
  16. #56  
    EVERYTHING you are talking about is anecdotal!!!

    THE DAMN PRE ISN'T RELEASED! And a forum BUZZ should be just as measurable to an Engadget article according to your system of metrics.
    Last edited by Darth Pooh; 02/17/2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: edited: follow the forum rules
  17. #57  
    General Posting Guidelines

    * Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members regardless of their age/race/sexual preference/etc. Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
    Just call me Berd.
  18. #58  
    Guys please!?

    We're not even arguing anything tangible in here. I just woke up and had to read through this whole thread. I wish I wouldn't have.

    No one really has a case here. There's no "buzz-o-meter" we can gauge to see if the Pre is on top. There are other handsets coming out, and they look fancy too.

    There is nothing to argue about though. Let's put this one to a rest and start making up launch rumors again. That was much more pleasurable than reading this thread.

    : )
  19. #59  
    Pedro... you are arguing my point. Thanks.
  20. #60  
    It's cool guys

    Just keep from posting Insults.

    Thanks

    Peace, Love, and Led Zeppelin.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions