Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    There is plenty of speculation to the contrary. I'd guess higher res screen, more flash memory (32 GB), more RAM (256 MB) and a better processor are all distinctly possible. The last two would probably allow them to have multi-tasking of third-party apps, which would make a big difference to the user experience.
    I agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Talk about silly? You think Touch Diamonds and Touch Pros are aimed at "the big fat middle"? The two most expensive non-Nextel phones on Sprint are...The Touch Diamond and the Touch Pro. The two most capable phones to get no mainstream advertising from Sprint are...the Touch Diamond and the Touch Pro. Sure, AT&T is advertising "The Fuze" but they are doing so amongst several other handsets like the Blackberry Bold, which outsells it handily.
    Yeah, Go check out most Sprint Customers with those devices, it isn't business users I assure you.

Nothing silly about this. Except that I am debating over your ill-informed opinion on the market share.
    I am not saying that other products don't or can't fit the bill for the prosumer. Like all this crap, you generally can get used to anything, work around the stuff you hate, and maybe even get a 3rd party app to solve that problem too.

However, in this game of create hype to create a wave of purchases to gain the broader market share, which in turn keys others into your "cool" new stuff. Getting out to the widest number of folks is key.

The carrier exclusive defeats this purpose. Pre looks to be a very cool device with lots of appeal. But time is ticking and others have now seen Palm's cards (sorry pun intended) and will emulate. In the mean time, even if Palm hits the March issue with Sprint, the exclusive will hinder the market place for them as the same generally does for everyone else.

I have said this before and I will say it again. Palm, you can win the race only by getting out quickly. Letting carriers dictate your market is an albatross around your neck. Your better bet would be to issue unlocked GSM phones (giving the world access to you) and issueing incentives to purchase your phone (trade-ins for existing Palm customers (the faithful), offers of subsidized contracts with carriers, stuff like that etc.).

There is an army of people on this website alone who want to be your marketing army. But holding the product with any carrier that inhibits our making that transition hinders you and over time forces the hands of those who would rather have your product, but by force of existing contract or employer preferences, prevent us from doing so.

Thanks

Skigs!
    I don't really agree with the first post. Like everyone else said, HTC is getting the crowd back. Samsung didn't impress me cause I hate that widget crap. Nokia's way too expensive for me to even look at.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    And yes, we do not know what Apple is sitting on. So let's see how it plays out
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Yeah, Go check out most Sprint Customers with those devices, it isn't business users I assure you.

Nothing silly about this. Except that I am debating over your ill-informed opinion on the market share.
    Well, I'm glad to see you countering my "ill-informed opinion" with....what, exactly? Again, I ask you:

1) If these devices are aimed at the big, fat middle, why are they the two most expensive Sprint phones currently offered?
    2) And why does Sprint do no mainstream advertising for them, even as they pour millions into promoting, say, the Rant or Instinct, which would presumably offer lower margins?
    3) And why does AT&T charge way more for the Fuze than they do for the iPhone - the standard by which all "big, fat middle" devices are held up to?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    I don't really agree with the first post. Like everyone else said, HTC is getting the crowd back.
    What does this even mean? The Touch Pro and Touch Diamond are already successful handsets. There's no disputing that. But suddenly because they up the screen size and add a few megapixels while changing nothing else, they are Pre killers? I don't buy it.

When the Pre launched, you could find stories for days afterward on Engagdet and Gizmodo. Even now with almost nobody being allowed to actually handle the device, the amount of attention and coverage the Pre has gotten is astounding, One day after the HTC announcements, I see almost no further mention of them on these same tech sites. Hell, even WMexperts.com has ONE hands-on report still on the main page.

How did a launch with a fraction of the impact of the Pre launch about a device nearly identical to the current model somehow steal its thunder? It didn't.
    But also, Winmo devices are one of the most sought after phones for business users and casual users. Plus with the new update, I'm sure a lot are looking forward to it. Not saying it's shadowing the Pre, but it's not dead news

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I am not saying that other products don't or can't fit the bill for the prosumer. Like all this crap, you generally can get used to anything, work around the stuff you hate, and maybe even get a 3rd party app to solve that problem too.

However, in this game of create hype to create a wave of purchases to gain the broader market share, which in turn keys others into your "cool" new stuff. Getting out to the widest number of folks is key.

The carrier exclusive defeats this purpose. Pre looks to be a very cool device with lots of appeal. But time is ticking and others have now seen Palm's cards (sorry pun intended) and will emulate. In the mean time, even if Palm hits the March issue with Sprint, the exclusive will hinder the market place for them as the same generally does for everyone else.

I have said this before and I will say it again. Palm, you can win the race only by getting out quickly. Letting carriers dictate your market is an albatross around your neck. Your better bet would be to issue unlocked GSM phones (giving the world access to you) and issueing incentives to purchase your phone (trade-ins for existing Palm customers (the faithful), offers of subsidized contracts with carriers, stuff like that etc.).

There is an army of people on this website alone who want to be your marketing army. But holding the product with any carrier that inhibits our making that transition hinders you and over time forces the hands of those who would rather have your product, but by force of existing contract or employer preferences, prevent us from doing so.

Thanks

Skigs!
    So you suggest they scrap the millions they've put into CDMA development now, and follow the Nokia model in America (because we know how well Nokia does in the US!) except that they'd be cutting their profit margins sharply by offering "trade-ins"? Oh, and they'd shoulder all of the marketing burden, too?

Ok.
    Hahahaha, ok, I am done with this thread... you said "Pre-Killers". Sorry, the device isn't even out yet and we are stating that phrase?

Punching out... enjoy the rest of silly season.
  11.    #31  
    But also, Winmo devices are one of the most sought after phones for business users and casual users.
    Windows Mobile is the OS most in decline, marketshare-wise. In Q3 2008, they were outsold by both RIM and Apple - and in Apple's case, that means they outsold all WM handsets COMBINED.

The numbers just don't match these claims, sir.
  12.    #32  
    Hahahaha, ok, I am done with this thread... you said "Pre-Killers". Sorry, the device isn't even out yet and we are stating that phrase?

No offense intended, but do you have anything of substance to contribute here? I mean, posting to say you are "done with this thread" when NOT posting would accomplish the same thing seems "silly" to me.

I asked you some straightforward questions that you apparently incapable of answering which not only makes your position untenable, but your "departure" from this thread look rather suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Windows Mobile is the OS most in decline, marketshare-wise. In Q3 2008, they were outsold by both RIM and Apple - and in Apple's case, that means they outsold all WM handsets COMBINED.

The numbers just don't match these claims, sir.

Sure whatever LOL. So in saying that, you think the Pre will do better?

It's clear you are confusing the "fat middle" of phones... so why would I bother with explaining what I meant in the first place??? Your questioning proves you are talking about things like the RANT vs. all of smartphones... not a very valid way of looking at the numbers of HTC vs. Palm vs. WM vs BB vs. Iphone vs. Android vs..... see my point?

And I think I did add to this... saying you make no sense without being direct was my addition.
  15.    #35  
    Sure whatever LOL. So in saying that, you think the Pre will do better?
    There's no shame in making a factual error. Better to man up and acknowledge it than to try laughing it off and changing the subject.
    No one but you is making absurd claims like... "The Pre is on top and no one is offering anything else that could compete"

I will admit nothing is as BUZZWORTHY as the Pre. Two totally different beasts... and Palm (of ALL companies) should know better that BUZZ can die very quickly.
    WM is in decline among the nonbusiness users. It'll be irrelevant in time unless wm7 can truly change things.

I'm kind of ignorant about what the big companies will want in time. BB i hear has that market along with WM still. It's important to remember that business users aren't robots, happy to whip out phones and use their stylus. Be interesting to see if webOS will ever reach that end.
  18.    #38  
    It's clear you are confusing the "fat middle" of phones... so why would I bother with explaining what I meant in the first place??? Your questioning proves you are talking about things like the RANT vs. all of smartphones... not a very valid way of looking at the numbers of HTC vs. Palm vs. WM vs BB vs. Iphone vs. Android vs..... see my point?

And I think I did add to this... saying you make no sense without being direct was my addition.
    Wow...how many straw men can one person attack? I never compared the Rant versus all smartphones, and, in fact, mentioned it just ONCE along with another handset in a direct question to you that you still have yet to answer.

The only thing "proven" by my questioning is that you seem to lack reading comprehension, so it's no wonder you're quick to accuse others of making no sense. You may wanna stick with the "I'm done with this thread" thing. I think that works for you.
  19.    #39  
    No one but you is making absurd claims like... "The Pre is on top and no one is offering anything else that could compete"
    Yet another straw man. How can the Pre "be on top" when it's not even released yet? It's not in any position, much less "on top"! I mean, seriously, dude.

The point of this thread is not whether other phones can compete with it. ANY smartphone by definition CAN compete with the Pre. The point is whether these other phones are "stealing the thunder" of the Pre. I would define "stealing thunder" as making a comparable impact with the same amount of lasting impressions and buzz that the Pre generated. No phone from MWC has done this, including the HTC Touch pro 2 and Touch Diamond 2.
    And in your opinion, these other phones aren't stealing the Pre's thunder. But in others opinions, they very well could. How the hell can you dispute something that isn't factual for two pages? LMAO must be slow at the job today

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast