Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I do have one concern. Although i don't listen to a lot of music, i do listen to podcasts and audio books quite often. The Pre music player does not seem to support these. Do you think there will be an app that will handle this. This is my only hesitation regarding this device. Otherwise the Pre looks absolutely amazing!
  2. #2  
    If you watched the Video of the CES Press Event, you will see the wall with all the launch developers in the background. One of them is Pandora, so yeah, I am sure there will be a way to stream music on the Pre.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    If you watched the Video of the CES Press Event, you will see the wall with all the launch developers in the background. One of them is Pandora, so yeah, I am sure there will be a way to stream music on the Pre.
    I don't want to stream music, rather i would like to manage podcasts on the phone being able to bookmark, resume, and maybe even subscribe.
  4. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #4  
    It's such an obvious app to make. If it can be done, it will be done. That's as much as anyone can say really.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  5. JayC3's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousobserver View Post
    I don't want to stream music, rather i would like to manage podcasts on the phone being able to bookmark, resume, and maybe even subscribe.
    I think if the developer of podcaster.fm can port his application into WebOS, it should be no problem to have what you are looking for. Right now, his website only streams podcasts. But I don't think it will be difficult to produce a native app like this in WebOS (assuming everything that Palm mentioned is 100% true).
  6. #6  
    I would think the Pre Music player would be able to support podcasts since they are mostly MP3's and it would be dumb for Palm not to play MP3's. Audiobooks though, I'm hoping to see audible format books play in the default music player, if not, well I hope to hear that Audible would make their audible player for the Pre as well.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousobserver View Post
    I do have one concern. Although i don't listen to a lot of music, i do listen to podcasts and audio books quite often. The Pre music player does not seem to support these. Do you think there will be an app that will handle this. This is my only hesitation regarding this device. Otherwise the Pre looks absolutely amazing!
    What makes you think that? I'd be amazed if the built in player couldn't play podcasts.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    What makes you think that? I'd be amazed if the built in player couldn't play podcasts.
    I agree. Podcasts are just mp3s with rss feeds to let you subscribe. RSS is such an important part of the web these days, I'd be utterly shocked to find that the Pre doesn't support. It would almost seem that Palm would have to go out of their way NOT to support podcasts.
  9. #9  
    I am pretty sure Podcasts will be fine.
    Audible, on the other hand.......Its hard to tell.
    Here is what I found out.
    Its not Audible that decides, by itself, if it will support a device, it is the manufacturer's choice in the end. And the manufacturer has to pay a hefty sum.
    That being said, Palm has a long standing relationship with Audible. So...yeah...its hard to tell.
  10. #10  
    Its not just having the ability to play podcasts, there has to be a good way to get them on the Pre. One of the best things about the iPhone is access to the online itunes store. You can download podcasts directly to the device. I use this all the time.
  11. #11  
    Getting them on the device is a different thing from playing them when they get there.

    The iPhone has only just allowed it and even then it has to be over wi-fi unless under 10mb.

    I would be surprised if there was not a third party solution for downloading podcasts but in the mean time I'll continue to get them in iTunes and just copy them across over USB.
  12. #12  
    You could ask Mitch Allen yourself:

    Mitch Allen: Keeping an Open Mind | Facebook

    He's currently taking questions until the 23rd

Posting Permissions