1.    #1  
    Seeing how Pandoras name was plastered on that wall at the CES Palm Press Event, I am guessing it might be one of the apps that will be included at the launch of the Pre. I have never used Pandora on the PC, but since Sprint officially supports Pandora on my Sprint Touch, I figured I'd give it a shot and try it out. While the idea behind Pandora is great, the sound quality on the Sprint Touch is nothing short of misreable, it's absolutely horrible. It makes it sound like I have some cheap 2 dollar headphones. Kinoma Player on the other hand, has muuuuuuuuch better sound quality.

Has anyone used Pandora on a phone other than a Windows Mobile phone? If so, is there better sound quality to be had? Also, on my Sprint Touch, when the screen light goes off, the music stops and plays constantly, on Kinoma Play the transition from screen on to off mode is seamless.

Lastly, Sprint seems to like to include YouTube on all new Windows Mobile phones. I am not sure if this is a HTC add on, or if Sprint is the one adding it to their phones, either way, I am hoping they will add YouTube to the Pre out of the box as well.

In general I am very anxious to see the Sprint customized version of the Pre, since all we have seen so far is the "vanilla" plain jane version of the Pre.
    I use it on a plain vanilla PC all the time and the sound quality is fantastic. I wonder if they compress it for mobile editions to save bandwidth, or whether the sound capabilities on mobile phones just generally suck.

Anyone use it on an iPhone? That would be a good test.
    Pretty sure its 128kbps on all devices, but I know for sure it is on the WM phones.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah it works great on my PC as well. Someone with an iPhone chime in and report what the sound quality is like on it.

I am also wondering how the Pre handles playing music with the screen off, hopefully it won't be as problematic as some music programs, including Pandora, are on Sprint Touch.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Pretty sure its 128kbps on all devices, but I know for sure it is on the WM phones.
    Have you heard it on a WinMo phone? It's painful, to say the least...lol.

And the fact that the screen needs to stay on is a pain too....real battery killer.

I like the concept behind Pandora, it's perfect for people like me that don't know every new artist out there, but just a few and would like to hear more music like the stuff I heard from an artist I know. Hopefully the Pre version will be flawless
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post

And the fact that the screen needs to stay on is a pain too....real battery killer.

I like the concept behind Pandora, it's perfect for people like me that don't know every new artist out there, but just a few and would like to hear more music like the stuff I heard from an artist I know. Hopefully the Pre version will be flawless
    Yeah, I love Pandora as a service. I think on the desktop possibly it sounds better, or maybe because I've only played it through cheap speakers at work and stuff, but I plugged my good headphones (Etymotic ER4P) into my phone to attempt using the WM Pandora, and I immediately went online to find out what bitrate it was because it sounded so horrible.

Edit: Wow, actually I was wrong, its worse than I thought. The desktop version is 128kbps, the WM version is much lower.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah I don't know what they are doing to the music on the WinMo version...maybe they have some craptastic algorithm in there that makes it sound like a cat getting squeezed through your head phones, but damn does it sound bad. I have Sirius satellite radio as well, and I have an Star Player on my phone so I can listen to that, but I am too cheap for the 128 kbit version, and even that **** sounds better than Pandora does. At least it doesn't sound like your headphones are bottoming out...it really sounds like distortion, but distortion at low sound levels....
    and i was really looking forward to this app .... hmmm .. there is still hope. WinMo might not really be a a good example.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Yeah I have an Instinct and the sound quality is not the best. Hope the Pre doesn't have this issue.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Yeah it works great on my PC as well. Someone with an iPhone chime in and report what the sound quality is like on it.

I am also wondering how the Pre handles playing music with the screen off, hopefully it won't be as problematic as some music programs, including Pandora, are on Sprint Touch.
    I actually installed Pandora last night on my iphone. There is a setting for higher quality sound, with a side note that music may become choppy with these settings. I used the app with the higher quality checked on my train ride into work this morning(45 minutes). No choppyness and sound quality was nice!o Def hope that this app comes out for pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    Yeah I have an Instinct and the sound quality is not the best. Hope the Pre doesn't have this issue.
    I used it on the instinct with headphones and it sounded great. Are you sure you're not just complaining about the instincts built-in speaker (which is subpar btw)

On my treo 800w I works if the screen turns off. Windows Mobile should continue running normally with the screen off.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
    On my treo 800w I works if the screen turns off. Windows Mobile should continue running normally with the screen off.
    How does it sound through mid range priced headphones on your 800W? The 800W is a newer phone than my Touch (6900), so that might have something to do with the choppyness.