Page 81 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2299
    I'm just pointing out that prices have connotation. Just like free phones are often viewed as junk just because they're free, I think a smartphone at $100 would be viewed by the public very similarly. Of course businesses who take time to look at the facts and discerning customers who want the best value for their money will see through this, but the guy who walks into the sprint store clueless but thinks he wants the best is going to gravitate to the expensive shelf.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Hmmmm, isn't iPhone the one that's in 2nd right now?
    Oh snap, it is!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Amazon is shortly going to announce a new Kindle. They deliver their content over Sprint's airwaves. Amazon is partnered to deliver music etc. to the Pre. Could we hear some info regarding the Pre at Amazon's event today?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    You're reaching, but I wish you were right. I doubt the Pre would be announced by Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    You're reaching, but I wish you were right. I doubt the Pre would be announced by Amazon.
    Of course! But last time I reached like that, Josh of Engagdet did infact whip out a Pre on Jimmy Fallon's show.

BTW Joshua Topolsky is in the front row doing a live blog as we tyoe - coincidence?

EDIT: on second thought, maybe it is a good thing they not talk about the Pre. Amazon is experiencing a bit of technically difficulty showing off the 8 1/2 x 11 Kindle.
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 05/06/2009 at 10:04 AM.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Not sure where amazon is going here. Newspapers? I'd rather read the online versions on a laptop or phone. More current anyways.

Magazines? Again, online is better.

Textbooks? This simply fails. Back in college, i liked to have multiple books open, wrote in them, etc. Lay the books face down, write in a notebook..good luck laying the Kindle down and trying to see it. Plus its not color...can you imagine calculus or accounting without color? You'd need the kindle to spit water out at you to keep you awake.

Stick to books Amazon and get us that Pre kindle app
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    good luck laying the Kindle down and trying to see it.
    The only thing I disagree with... I had a Sony Reader (nice device, returned it because battery went bad, then just didn't feel that compelled to replace it) and legibility when flat was outstanding. Just like a paper book. My test was using it while eating--much easier than a book, no problems with keeping it open, turning pages was easier, etc.

But, yes, the format's great for simple reading, but for anything with lots of hyperlinks (such as, any news source online) or when extensive marginal note taking might be needed... I'll pass.
    1408 posts... oh yes, this is going to be over 2000.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    1409 (gratuitous post stuffing...)
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    I'm just pointing out that prices have connotation. Just like free phones are often viewed as junk just because they're free, I think a smartphone at $100 would be viewed by the public very similarly. Of course businesses who take time to look at the facts and discerning customers who want the best value for their money will see through this, but the guy who walks into the sprint store clueless but thinks he wants the best is going to gravitate to the expensive shelf.
    I agree with this, but in the case of handsets and contracts there are two mitigating factors.

1. Sprint sets subsidized price, not Palm and it sees things through the lens of selling plans and keeping customers, upselling customers and taking the competitions customers.

2. There are at least three price points maybe more. A high an very high "list price" can be set for reasons of status. In fact since with cdma barely any are sold at that price the only limit to the list price is credibility, ie at what point does it become laughable? Then there is the new customer pricing and other discounted pricing (one year, "premier", lowest offer by retentions for renewal etc etc) plus rebates (BB, Sprint and or Palm).

I think $600 to $700 for list, and $150 to $250 for full discounted, are the numbers palm and sprint would be looking at respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I agree with this, but in the case of handsets and contracts there are two mitigating factors.

1. Sprint sets subsidized price, not Palm and it sees things through the lens of selling plans and keeping customers, upselling customers and taking the competitions customers.

2. There are at least three price points maybe more. A high an very high "list price" can be set for reasons of status. In fact since with cdma barely any are sold at that price the only limit to the list price is credibility, ie at what point does it become laughable? Then there is the new customer pricing and other discounted pricing (one year, "premier", lowest offer by retentions for renewal etc etc) plus rebates (BB, Sprint and or Palm).

I think $600 to $700 for list, and $150 to $250 for full discounted, are the numbers palm and sprint would be looking at respectively.
    Okay, so, for some additional speculation: where do you suppose pricing will be for someone with a current 2-year contract (app. 21 months remaining)? Will it be straight list, will there be a price for current customers on contact (vs. buying strictly without a contract), a special price for a new contract (albeit, only giving them 3 more months)?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Just curious to see who all thinks Sprint/Palm will release the final pieces to the puzzle tomorrow. If June 7 is the actual release date, tomorrow would be the ideal day to start giving up some info. Thoughts...
    Quote Originally Posted by drudawg View Post
    Just curious to see who all thinks Sprint/Palm will release the final pieces to the puzzle tomorrow. If June 7 is the actual release date, tomorrow would be the ideal day to start giving up some info. Thoughts...
    I've thought for some time that "tomorrow" would be a good day to announce it (assuming it's ready by then); but my preference has always been "today".
    I doubt they'll release anything tomorrow. It would be nice but I doubt announcing something exactly a month out is of any concern to Sprint or Palm. They'll release the info when they are ready.

I think they are actually waiting to see if they can launch a week or two early and don't want to pigeon hole themselves into a specific day. They may also want to be sure they hit the date and be ready with any bugs currently showing up fixed. Not too mention the OS optimized as best as possible to minimize slow downs and hangups.
    I don't remember where I read it but one of the people in charge of PRPRPR $at$ $Palm$ $is$ $on$ $vacation$ $until$ $the$ $11th$. $I$'$m$ $banking$ $on$ $information$ $coming$ $out$ $then$...$but$ $tomorrow$ $would$ $be$ $great$!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima301 View Post
    I don't remember where I read it but one of the people in charge of PRPRPR $at$ $Palm$ $is$ $on$ $vacation$ $until$ $the$ $11th$. $I$'$m$ $banking$ $on$ $information$ $coming$ $out$ $then$...$but$ $tomorrow$ $would$ $be$ $great$!
    Palm has nothing to do with the release. Sprint will be the ones to announce the date so having the palm PRPRPR $person$ $out$ $is$ $nothing$.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Palm has nothing to do with the release. Sprint will be the ones to announce the date so having the palm PRPRPR $person$ $out$ $is$ $nothing$.
    1. palm have nothing to do with the launch???

a. doubtful.
    b. foolish if true.

2. palm PRPRPR $hack$ $on$ $vacation$ $days$ $before$ $the$ &$quot$;$bet$ $the$ $farm$ $save$ $the$ $company$&$quot$; $launch$?

a. doubtful.
    b. foolish if true.
    If Sprint nails down the date tomorrow, I'll have a nerdgasm. I'm already seeing Star Trek in IMAX, so a date for the Pre would absolutely make my day.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    If Sprint nails down the date tomorrow, I'll have a nerdgasm. I'm already seeing Star Trek in IMAX, so a date for the Pre would absolutely make my day.
    Oh man, I can't stop laughing about this one. Nerdgasm. I'm going to use that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Palm's going to be notifying their picks of reviewers on the 8th, as I understand it. Perhaps that's because Friday is the day they're going to announce, albeit that's a terrible newsday to announce something major. For that matter, Thursday's only a little better.

Question: when they make the announcement, will they give all of the details at that point? Or will it just be the shipping date, and perhaps the price?