Page 80 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2299
    How could they sell it for under a hundred bucks if it costs them more than a hundred bucks to build one?
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    How could they sell it for under a hundred bucks if it costs them more than a hundred bucks to build one?
    Sprint makes money from their plans...not the phones they sell. They usually lose money when they sell a phone, but gain a 2-year contract.
    True enough. You think I would realize that with all the money I've turned over to them the last few years.
    If they make it a $100 phone people will blow it off as being a cheap knock off. It needs to be priced right at, or just under the iPhones 199 IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    How do the already sell so many phone for free? Palm doesn't set the final price, Sprint does. We now they lose money on phones sold at discounted prices as a rule -- that is how they sell phones for $10 or less.

The Pre involves unusually sharp upscale of plan costs for buyers as such it is actually the most likely to sell at the most loss over cost, ie highest subsidy, of any phone in the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Dude if they decide to release the Pre on June 7th or any time near the iPhone 3.0 announcement, the Pre will fail miserably.

It already has everything going aganist it, but now a release date overlapping the mighty 3.0? non non onn non!...
    Oh ye of little faith. The Pre is a strong device, both from a feature standpoint and from a sex-appeal standpoint. Given what we know about it and iPhone 3.0, I'd say it will do fine regardless of how close it is released to the Apple product.

What exactly do you consider the Pre has "against" it that will cause it to "fail miserably"? From what I've seen, it is a very capable smartphone.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    still cant fathom why people love the iphone and it has no physical keyboard

i cant ever have a phone with out that
    especial an iphone
    i dont own, and wont ever own any Apple products
    fock itunes too
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Dude if they decide to release the Pre on June 7th or any time near the iPhone 3.0 announcement, the Pre will fail miserably.

It already has everything going aganist it, but now a release date overlapping the mighty 3.0? non non onn non!...
    Gah I hate people like you who are so negative and post stupid crap like this..
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    If they make it a $100 phone people will blow it off as being a cheap knock off. It needs to be priced right at, or just under the iPhones 199 IMO.
    The Blackberry Curve is available for $99 on contract, and it outsold the iPhone. Is that a good example of a cheap knockoff?
    I think they would want to do it at $150-$199 cuz dont forget about the centro2 which would probably be priced at $99 or less and keep the pre as a higher end phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There is little-to-nothing announced or even hinted at in iPhone 3.0 that Apple would "launch blitz advertising" for, especially in 30 second TV ads. Spotlight? A landscape keyboard? Another 16GB at a slightly higher price? I don't think too many handsets have anything to fear from that featureset.

But Apple blitzes the airwaves now with App Store ads, and Blackberry's App World seems to have taken off just fine along with their sales across all carriers. The G1 is at 1 million units and counting. The Instinct and Touch pro have sold well on Sprint. Other phones can flourish while iPhone 3G does, ESEPECIALLY if they're exclusive to other carriers besides AT&T.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a $99 iPhone. Then they will go tv ad crazy.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldfrombigd View Post
    I think they would want to do it at $150-$199 cuz dont forget about the centro2 which would probably be priced at $99 or less and keep the pre as a higher end phone.
    I completely agree with you, but I was just saying that if Sprint has that much disposable income for advertising, then imagine how many newspapers, magazines and websites will be going nuts discussing how such an advanced phone has such a low price point. I agree some might confuse it for a cheaper alternative to the iphone, but it'll cater to WAAAAY more people that aren't as concerned about the phone as the price. You can be assured with that kind of publicity, Sprint would be much better off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    The Blackberry Curve is available for $99 on contract, and it outsold the iPhone. Is that a good example of a cheap knockoff?
    And how many were bought by businesses looking for the cheapest versus consumers?
    The number of people who haven't moved to iPhones yet that want to is probably pretty small, and those that might show interest probably have very specific wants. We have heard nothing about the iPhone 3.0 that doesn't sound like more of the same with only a smattering of marginal improvements. Pre takes iPhone's weaknesses and beats them and even beats them in a few areas where the iPhone excels. Also, iPhone 1.0 users fed up with AT&T now are coming off contract, and would be candidates for a Pre.

As I am now saying for the 40th time, is it an ideal launch window? No. But should Palm cower about it? No. Stand up and let the phone stand for itself. The reviewers will be forced to write comparisons, and iPhone 3.0's will include phrases like "nothing we haven't seen before" or "no changes in interface from previous models." Pre will sound downright modern by comparison.

But even without that, the Pre will sell well no matter when they launch. They will be launching the hardware globally and there are more WebOS devices in the pipe. If the concern is backing a technology that will be dead in 6 months, I don't think there is much to worry about.

Market the phones, market plans cheaper than the competition, and it will be a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    And how many were bought by businesses looking for the cheapest versus consumers?
    What does that have to do with anything? It is not a cheap phone by any means. Yes blackberrys are a business phone, and I doubt businesses would purchase a "cheap knockoff" for their employees. Case and point: a phone can be extremely successful at a 99 dollar pricepoint without being viewed as a cheap knockoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? It is not a cheap phone by any means. Yes blackberrys are a business phone, and I doubt businesses would purchase a "cheap knockoff" for their employees. Case and point: a phone can be extremely successful at a 99 dollar pricepoint without being viewed as a cheap knockoff.
    My point is consumer market is driven by different forces than the business market. Businesses value price, and will buy a cheaper phone, they know it is not a "cheap knockoff" at $99. Consumers make different calculations, we like things cheap, but if something seems too cheap we have a tendency to think twice. Perception is reality, and they need to avoid any negative perceptions. Hate to say it, I would love a cheap Pre, but to Joe Schmoe who knows nothing of the phone, a $99 price point might make them worry about durability even if it isn't a real issue.
    I will throw my hat in with the people who say that iphone users aren't going to switch to the Pre.

People only switch platforms if one is sexier design-wise, a clearly superior, revolutionary product, alot cheaper, or the "in" thing to have. I do not view the Pre as either of these things to move the masses towards it.

Apple's iphone is thinner and at least as sexy. The Pre may be as sexy as the iphone, but what it takes to make people switch is not as sexy, it needs to be alot sexier. I would not qualify the Pre to be that device. The Pre may be superior, but I would not say that for the masses it is a clearly superior product, which is what it's going to take to drive huges sales of the Pre. It's not going to be much cheaper. And it doesn't have the "hip" factor going for it like the iphone does.

Hoping for the Pre to be #1 is a pipe dream. I think that the upper bound is going to be Blackberry Storm territory. Everyone is still competing for 2nd place. BUT 2nd place would be viewed as a huge win for Sprint. Expecting the Pre to vault to the top of the charts like the iphone did when it was released in 2006 is not within the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I will throw my hat in with the people who say that iphone users aren't going to switch to the Pre.

People only switch platforms if one is sexier design-wise, a clearly superior, revolutionary product, alot cheaper, or the "in" thing to have. I do not view the Pre as either of these things to move the masses towards it.

Apple's iphone is thinner and at least as sexy. The Pre may be as sexy as the iphone, but what it takes to make people switch is not as sexy, it needs to be alot sexier. I would not qualify the Pre to be that device. The Pre may be superior, but I would not say that for the masses it is a clearly superior product, which is what it's going to take to drive huges sales of the Pre. It's not going to be much cheaper. And it doesn't have the "hip" factor going for it like the iphone does.

Hoping for the Pre to be #1 is a pipe dream. I think that the upper bound is going to be Blackberry Storm territory. Everyone is still competing for 2nd place. BUT 2nd place would be viewed as a huge win for Sprint. Expecting the Pre to vault to the top of the charts like the iphone did when it was released in 2006 is not within the realm of possibility.
    the iphone is sexier. i like the utility of the pre but IMO the iphone is sleeker and sexier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the iphone is sexier. i like the utility of the pre but IMO the iphone is sleeker and sexier.
    What are you going to be doing with that phone??? (and is it part of an Everything data plan?)
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Hmmmm, isn't iPhone the one that's in 2nd right now?