Page 71 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2299
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Do you guys think any info (Price/release date) could come from this earnings release on Monday?

Earnings Preview: Sprint Nextel to give 1Q results - Forbes.com
    Interesting perspective. Pre-camping is definitely the more sensational story at this time (its new). Since you can't wrap finite metrics on who is waiting for what, Pre sales is much more attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S. View Post
    First post here.

I think most people are saying Palm and Sprint need time alone in the spotlight to get most sales and pub. Anytime AFTER June 7th, any announcement about any new iPhone, feature, hardware will kill the buzz.

Because everyone will just wait for the iPhone, and then on *their* launch day, they will get all of the pub and buzz with coverage of people camping at the Apple Store for the iPhone.

What's a more sensational story, people camping out for a Pre, or people camping for a iPhone?
    Well, I don't know how the press would view it, but from my perspective, camping out for the iPhone has already been done. That's nothing new. To my knowledge, there hasn't been any kind of buzz for Palm products that has caused people to camp out for a Palm device (at least nothing that the mass media has deemed news-worthy).

So it seems to me that the more "sensational" story would be people standing in line to get the new Pre. Of course, given the lack of mainstream advertising from Palm, only tech-heads, geeks, early adoptors, and forum-readers will be standing in those lines. That's a stark contrast to the soccer moms and regular Joes that stood in line for an iPhone. And it's a much smaller population, too. Even if they didn't know a smartphone from a dumbphone, they stood in line for it--because Apple convinced them that it was the "cool" thing to do.

While I would love to see the demand for the Pre approach the levels that the iPhone has enjoyed, I seriously doubt that it ever will. Not because of the merits of the iPhone versus the Pre or anything related to the Pre's capabilities--It's simply that Palm hasn't--and probably never will--match Apple's marketing muscle. Let's face facts. People buy what they see on TV. That's the one medium that Palm must saturate with the Pre. It must be during Primetime and needs to be soon and often. Magazine ads, websites, and word-of-mouth viral campaigns won't cut it. Television is it. Unfortunately, that costs money, of which Palm is short.

I've said it elsewhere: Palm can't solely rely on Sprint to market the Pre. Sprint doesn't have the same agenda as Palm when it comes to the Pre. Sprint is more interested in getting people to sign up for a subscription than getting people to buy a Pre. They don't care what phone you buy as long as you use it on Sprint's network. If Palm wants people to embrace their brand, they're going to have to put it out there where people will see it. Right now, most people think Palm is a dead company with outmoded products. They remember the "Palm Pilot", but little else.

I say this because even in the tech circles that I frequent, I had to constantly correct people who mis-took my Treo for a Blackberry. Since the Palm V, Palm has not released anything "iconic" (something that "regular" people recognize on sight as a Palm device). The only way that will change is through proper marketing and mainstream advertising. Sprint's "Now" commercials aren't going to get it. Palm needs "Palm" commercials and they need to tell people why they want a "Palm Pre".
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Apple not only has marketing muscle, it has marketing intelligence. How many ads/appearances for Palm Pre did we see on television during Sweeps Week?

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a page-and-a-half diatribe. Here's the point: You are kidding yourself if you think iPhone users will switch to Palm.
    Really?

You mean none of them will? There was a link earlier from a guy who's been a long time iPhone user, and he wrote on his blog that he's changing (unless 3.0 offers something unexpected). There have been several on this forum that have already indicated they plan on changing.

So, I suspect that all inclusive is probably out.

That said, it's probably safe to assume you mean some might change, but you believe the number to be small.

If so, what have you based that on?

Even if you're right, how small a percentage?

No need for a half page, or even a diatribe, just something to back up the opinion.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Apple not only has marketing muscle, it has marketing intelligence. How many ads/appearances for Palm Pre did we see on television during Sweeps Week?
    Sweeps is in May.

Exactly. It is missed opportunities like that which Palm has been suffering behind.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Sweeps is in May.
    He's referring to February sweeps (which was moved to March this year so that the ratings would not be affected by any problems created by the February 17th switchover of the USA's analog broadcast television signals to digital. When, in early February, the digital transition date was moved to June 12, the "February" sweeps period for 2009 remained in March.).

Sweeps usually happens in Nov, Feb, May, and Jul.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 04/30/2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Corrected for the real reason.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

"May" sweeps actually started last week. Its all effed up
    J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
    Apple Ranks Highest among Smartphone Consumers,
    While LG Ranks Highest among Traditional Mobile Phone Consumers

Sorry, I don't have a page-and-a-half diatribe. Here's the point: You are kidding yourself if you think iPhone users will switch to Palm.
    And you are kidding yourself if you think there won't be some who do. Nobody is claiming all iPhone users will suddenly jump to Palm, just as all Palm and Blackberry users didn't suddenly jump to iPhone. Yes they rank well, but that doesn't mean it will always be so. Just like Palm's low ranking in that same survey is not indicative of future potential.

Also, remember, those rankings you cite focus on the device itself and not the service it is on -- AT&T being one of the biggest complaints.

If iPhone 3.0 is seen as only evolutionary, that will slow their growth. If Pre seems revolutionary by contrast, it is at least "game on."
    "May" sweeps actually started last week. Its all effed up
    LOL! Yeah it is. Regardless, the only Pre we see at all on TV is a quick flash at the end of a Sprint commercial...and it isn't even identified. That needs to change. The Pre needs more prominence.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

OK. Maybe up to 1% of iPhone users will switch to Pre so I revise my assertion to: You are kidding yourself if you think that more than 130,000 iPhone users will switch to Pre.
    I really don't care what iPhone users do. I just want the Pre to be a success in its own right because I think it has the potential to be a better phone and platform.

I am frustrated by the fact that superior products are often brought to market by companies that don't know how to properly market them. We consumers lose out because of that.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I am frustrated by the fact that superior products are often brought to market by companies that don't know how to properly market them. We consumers lose out because of that.
    I second that, along with: I also hate when inferior products are incredibly successful because a company is really good at marketing them. Especially when it's Apple.
    Well you can count me as one of them. Bought the original Iphone, upgraded to the 3g last year and I'm going to pay my ETF and switch for the Pre.

Why? Mostly multi tasking and a more open platform. The Iphone is a great device and for now it is top dog. That will certainly change, and quickly, as other companies copy what is good about the phone and fix what is not. While Iphone users will likely have to wait a year or two for multi tasking I'll enjoy it on my Pre in May or June. They will tire of waiting 2 years for small updates, paying for incremental hardware updates and dealing with an app store shackled by not only Apple's approval process but AT&T. Hello Slingplayer app?

130k Iphone subs isn't really that much so I would wager that it is highly likely Palm will get that many but regardless if they do or don't who cares? The number you pulled came directly out of your **** chute and is opinion, worth about as much as that crusty penny sitting in the gutter of the Bronx.

Palm and Sprint should do well with the phone regardless if they get a single Iphone customer or not. At a minimum it will help plug a huge hole in Sprint's phone line up, help stem the loss of subs and should net them a good amount of new subs.

I for one will be happy to use 3g speeds during prime time in big cities I travel to instead of having to switch to edge in order to get a reliable data connection. AT&T's network is stretched so thin in many areas it is pathetic. Probably why they are holding up the sling app.

If Tmobile can sell 1.5 million G1's, a pretty terrible phone design and a infant OS on a discount network, I'm sure Sprint and Palm will do just fine with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    If Tmobile can sell 1.5 million G1's, a pretty terrible phone design and a infant OS on a discount network, I'm sure Sprint and Palm will do just fine with the Pre.
    Exactly.

They will especially be fine if it comes in under $199. Think - value because of initial price and Sprint plans + it's arguably better than iPhone = win.
    1. "pc guys aren't going to just walk in."
    2. "why would i sell it cheaper when i have a better product?"
    3. "at launch date all original iphone users will be coming off contract and will immediately switch to the pre."
    Dude if they decide to release the Pre on June 7th or any time near the iPhone 3.0 announcement, the Pre will fail miserably.

It already has everything going aganist it, but now a release date overlapping the mighty 3.0? non non onn non!...
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Do you guys think any info (Price/release date) could come from this earnings release on Monday?

Earnings Preview: Sprint Nextel to give 1Q results - Forbes.com
    No they will probably just say things that we already know.
    I think they will announce the date tomorrow, May 1st. It would be just what we need after a crappy April.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I think they will announce the date tomorrow, May 1st. It would be just what we need after a crappy April.
    your face on your avatar has blueballs written all over it.