Page 70 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970717273747580 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2299
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Here is one guy's opinion on why he thinks it will launch on May 26th. Definitely a different viewpoint than what we have been hearing recently...

My Guess for Palm Pre Launch? May 26
    I said in the that other thread about June 7th or May 31st, can't remember now, why not just launch it memorial day weekend. And I would think the same here, I can't imagine them launching this on a Tuesday.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I said in the that other thread about June 7th or May 31st, can't remember now, why not just launch it memorial day weekend. And I would think the same here, I can't imagine them launching this on a Tuesday.
    Yep. The 26th would be better for an annoucement than a launch.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I never even knew all of these conferences existed until I started following the Pre.
    Well one prediction may be as good as another & I was wondering why you say May 26th?
    I think the Goat should win the Pre. LOL
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Yep. The 26th would be better for an annoucement than a launch.
    Roger's gonna be there as well. I just looked up the speakers. We're guaranteed to hear something.

Didn't see anybody there from Facebook though.
    Here is one guy's opinion on why he thinks it will launch on May 26th. Definitely a different viewpoint than what we have been hearing recently...

My Guess for Palm Pre Launch? May 26
    Sure, I guess those are more logical reasons than my idea that it was launching the 5/26 because that is the track time for Pink Floyds wish you were here included song, but each to his own...

Good find dtokarz, I hope it is the 26th
    Recent update:

Inside Sprint Now

Someone PLEASE come through with the Pre ambassador email information (Darth Pooh?). That is the closest clue we'll get to the REAL release date
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I never even knew all of these conferences existed until I started following the Pre.
    You may not have known about the conference, but you did know when something big was announced at one.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I love that we are now predicting an annoucement date... Heck, that is almost as exciting is the release date at this point!
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    I know who the one is at my store...trying to get a hold of her.
    How might I go about determining who the ambassador is at my store?
    Look for the person with the Pre in hand
    Ok talked to the manager of the Corporate Sprint store in our town (not the Pre Amabassador who was out).

He said he did not have any firm info on release date, said the Ambassador at their store did not have the phone yet. Said the rumors he hears say early June but he has no idea if those have any foundation.

He did say he has been told that this is going to be the biggest rollout of a phone Sprint has ever done. He is worried they will not have accesories like cases and such. Said in past those items always seem to come a few weeks later and by that time everybody had gone to walmart or on the net to buy things and they lose the best chance to sell such such items.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    Yes, I agree with your point. My point was that the general public doesn't know about the things we know about. So if the Pre gets released 3-4 weeks before the new iPhone details are released and people see them around they will say, "Wow, that's awesome, I'm going to go get that." After the iPhone details are released, it is going to be posted all over the web, on the news, etc. Out of every group of 10 friends, even if all of them aren't forum visitors like us, at least 1 of them is going to catch an article somewhere and tell the others about it. Your right, they don't know about the conference that is coming up, which proves my point even more that this Pre needs to get out ASAP, before they even know a new iPhone will be coming out at all. Right now it will just appear as the Pre is the latest and greatest piece of technology and they will just be comparing it to the iphone 3G, which is what Palm/Sprint wants and needs to make this launch successful.
    I definitely understand this point, but the question is going to be about the quality of the iPhone 3.0 as well. Yes the iPhone is a juggernaut, without question. However, there is pressure on Apple here too because of the Pre. (I can already hear the laughing, but hear me out on this). The iPhone is now a third generation product, people are familiar with it and it has a large user base. How do they draw more people and how do they get people to re-up who will be coming off their initial iPhone 1.0 cellphone contracts (particularly those fed up with AT&T)? Barring some stellar new technology (and no cut & paste is not groundbreaking Apple (come to think of it neither is launching the same device but now with a different colored case, but that is a bit besides the point)) it is unlikely that iPhone 3.0 will seem all that revolutionary. If anything (again barring some groundbreaking feature we have yet to hear about) iPhone may seem like a retread, an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary device. An evolutionary device is unlikely to sway the already unconverted, especially with a shiny new alternative.

This is not to say people will not buy in droves and people will no re-up. But the question will be, are apple only preaching to the converted. If Pre launches and it seems revolutionary, particularly in the innevitable side-by-side comparisons that will come out, Pre will seem great and attract interest. Additionally, Palm would get to piggyback off the press attention due to the inevitable comparisons. And the Palm device does seem revolutionary and it also makes for a great press story, Palm returns like a Phoenix from the ashes. An underdog going toe-to-toe with the behemoth and not being afraid of it.

I am not saying this is the strategy, and I am sure Palm would love to launch sooner rather than later, but this defeatist assumption that "Apple trumps all" is a bit misguided. Especially since Apple has already botched some recent product launches and seems to be becoming a victim of its own success. You can't consistently be the revolutionary, particularly when you are the largest force in the market.

Also, it seems unlike Steve Jobs will be giving the keynote which also takes some of the sting out of things given Mr. Jobs's integral role in being their best marketer.

Honestly, given the playing field, I would give Palm a better chance against the iPhone 3.0 than I would have against the iPhone 3G launch. Not that it is the ideal situation for Palm and Sprint, but if it comes down to it and the launch is pushed into June, Palm and Sprint have no reason to shy away. In fact they need to go on the offensive and make Apple seem behind the ball.
    Well, I just came back from my local Sprint store and spoke with two of these "ambassadors" that someone mentioned. They said they did NOT know the date, but that their manager DID. They also said their manager wouldn't even tell them the date, but they DID say that they would "have their phones in about a week" and that they were going to have a one or two week long event BEFORE the Pre could be purchased from their store. They felt that the May 17 date was realistic and more legitimate than the June 7 date. I hope they were right since I busted my Centro last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    I'm not a big Apple fan by any means, but I own an iPod touch and I like it. I also own a Treo Pro and I like it. To be honest, the closer the Pre release date is to the iPhone anouncement, the more likely I am to wait to hear about the iPhone before making a purchase.
    Totally agree (though I will probably get both). A lot of people here will disagree with you though. They think one has nothing to do with the other.
    The same here, agreed on all accounts. This forum isn't quite as bad as going over to an ifanboys site and praising the Pre, but its getting close. As a consumer it makes perfect sense to want the best that's available within a reasonable timeframe.

Flamesuit on!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    That sucks. I hope they don't actually do this.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    First post here.

I think most people are saying Palm and Sprint need time alone in the spotlight to get most sales and pub. Anytime AFTER June 7th, any announcement about any new iPhone, feature, hardware will kill the buzz.

Because everyone will just wait for the iPhone, and then on *their* launch day, they will get all of the pub and buzz with coverage of people camping at the Apple Store for the iPhone.

What's a more sensational story, people camping out for a Pre, or people camping for a iPhone?