Page 67 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1757626364656667686970717277 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2299
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just a quick question for the "If Palm releases the Pre on June 7, they're dead" crowd:

Let's assume this is true. Why wouldn't Palm also be dead if they launched it on May 7 or had launched it on March 7 or even January 27?

If the release of a new iPhone will somehow magically kill the feature smartphone competition (just like the iPhone 3G "killed" the G1, Storm, HTC Touch Diamond, right? ), then isn't Palm doomed any way you cut it? They can't survive as a company if they had robust Pre sales for 2-4 months, and then a new iPhone came and brought all of that to a screeching halt.

Essentially, what you're saying is that the Pre was doomed from the second it was announced. And if you want to believe that, great. But if Palm is doomed, then shouldn't they take as long as possible and make the Pre as bug-free as possible with a robust launch lineup so that they can "go out" with their best foot forward?
    May 7 would be an excellent date. I have a feeling the new iPhone wouldn't be ready for sale until July 1(I think this was the case with the 3G), maybe even September. If the Pre gets well out of the gate first and does well, the iPhone will be overshadowed or at least the hype will be diminished.

iPhone hasn't killed any other releases, just seems to overshadow many releases, at least in the US. Not so much overseas where they have plenty of good phones that we never see here thanks to carriers, so the iPhone is no "superphone" overseas like people think it is here. If the Pre released on June 7 and the new iPhone gets announced a couple days later, and there's something different in the hardware and something new revealed about 3.0, there goes a lot of thunder stolen from the Pre. It's best to get the jump on the iPhone and make so much of a splash that it'll be the iPhone wanting it's hype back.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But that's just it...the only momentum that can save them is if they can continue to sell Pre phones during and after a new iPhone launch, let alone upcoming Android and WM 6.5 handsets. Beating the iPhone to market with a rushed product that will be quickly overshadowed by a stable, 2-year old, hip phone with a huge software library is NOT A VICTORY. It will not save Palm. It will not save Sprint. It's a bad idea.

But coming to market with some name brand third-party apps out of the gate and a relatively bug-free device that has been thoroughly tested? That's their only chance.
    Not if the timing is bad, and timing can be everything. No matter how good the Pre is, if they don't position the release correctly, they're in trouble.

Of course there're unforseen factors that could pop up. there are never any guarantees, but it would be best to maximize their chances.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's best to get the jump on the iPhone and make so much of a splash that it'll be the iPhone wanting it's hype back.
    And the iPhone hype machine is very, very powerful!
    Since the Pre has been announced, almost every handset for 2009 has made a debut at MWC or elsewhere, and iPhone 3.0 software was announced in detail.

What else is there for Pre to sweat out or fade?
    A lot of people are make PRE-dictions of when the Palm Pre will be launched by Sprint. Most have guessed that the launch day will be on a Sunday as Sprint is known to do.

Many PRE-dicted dates have come and gone without the PRE-miere of the device. Many are now indicating that Sprint will try to PRE-empt the release of Apple's new OS upgrade, version 3.0 and possible new device announcements at the Apple World Wide Developer conference in San Francisco for June 8-12th, 2009. So they think the release date will be Sunday, June 7, 2009. They are wrong.

http://tw5.us/UV
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    A lot of people are make PRE-dictions of when the Palm Pre will be launched by Sprint. Most have guessed that the launch day will be on a Sunday as Sprint is known to do.

Many PRE-dicted dates have come and gone without the PRE-miere of the device. Many are now indicating that Sprint will try to PRE-empt the release of Apple's new OS upgrade, version 3.0 and possible new device announcements at the Apple World Wide Developer conference in San Francisco for June 8-12th, 2009. So they think the release date will be Sunday, June 7, 2009. They are wrong.

Interesting info, but really, a week here, a week there, at this point we have waited so long...does it really matter? Reading how there won't be much stock at launch should be worrisome if you ask me. We have waited so long, and to finally have the phone out but not being able to get your hands on one would suck. I guess while waiting, we can always watch the review videos from every single phone oriented website over and over again, and envy the people that actually have a phone and post pictures with them, or discuss the newest apps and stuff.

This sure is a fun time for us Pre enthusiasts. More and more news trickling out and the first half of the year deadline drawing closer and closer.
    First thing that ran through the Goat's mind when hearing about the short supply is that they BETTER give priority access to Premier customers. I've also decided to get my Pre through telesales because I am not going to risk waiting in line at a store and not getting my Pre after driving 2 hours there and back.
    So there ya go...
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    First thing that ran through the Goat's mind when hearing about the short supply is that they BETTER give priority access to Premier customers. I've also decided to get my Pre through telesales because I am not going to risk waiting in line at a store and not getting my Pre after driving 2 hours there and back.
    So there ya go...

Mr. Goat, if you show them the Razr that you are using in that self portrait picture, I am sure they will feel bad for you and give you a Pre right there and then!
    fyi...

Oh, one last thing–an interesting side note. My last message to Palm’s PRPRPR $head$, $Lynn$ $Fox$, $was$ $met$ $with$ $an$ $out$-$of$-$office$ $message$ $explaining$ $she$&#$8217$;$s$ $away$ $on$ $vacation$ $until$ $May$ $11$. $Resting$ $up$ $for$ $the$ $big$ $announcement$, $presumably$, $which$&#$8211$;$given$ $her$ $return$ $date$&#$8211$;$may$ $fall$ $closer$ $to$ $the$ $originally$ $rumored$ $May$ $17$ $drop$ $date$ $than$ $thought$.

source: Palm Pre to Debut the Day Before Apple's Next-Generation iPhone? | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    It could be something or nothing..DISCUSS!
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post

interesting none the less.
    Manny Agreed my friend. Syphon made that pic... Isn't it the coolest?

I think I should get a Pre for having such a cool pic.
    I think Palm should be focusing their efforts world wide where iphone market share isn't so firmly entrenched like it is in America already. I am willing to bet the proverbial farm that the Pre will be exactly as successful as its Treo line, which is 3rd place at best behind the blackberry and iphone. Much like the Treo Pro enabled Palm to catch up to the HTC phones, the Pre is now playing catchup to the iphone. Catching up won't save Palm. It's got to outdo the iphone, and with the announcement of the iphone OS 3.0, I was like, OH NO. Niche status. That's all the Pre is going to be. Sorry that I'm going to be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahhaj View Post
    fyi...

It could be something or nothing..DISCUSS!
    May 17 or bust!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I think Palm should be focusing their efforts world wide where iphone market share isn't so firmly entrenched like it is in America already. I am willing to bet the proverbial farm that the Pre will be exactly as successful as its Treo line, which is 3rd place at best behind the blackberry and iphone. Much like the Treo Pro enabled Palm to catch up to the HTC phones, the Pre is now playing catchup to the iphone. Catching up won't save Palm. It's got to outdo the iphone, and with the announcement of the iphone OS 3.0, I was like, OH NO. Niche status. That's all the Pre is going to be. Sorry that I'm going to be right.
    Nothing to be sorry for. You won't be.
    Ideally I would think the Pre should come out two weeks before the announcement of the new iPhone.

I think this gives the Pre enough time to get in the hands of customers and get a proven reputation once the iPhone is announced. Then it can take advantage of all of the free press riding on the iPhone's coat tails.

This is all coming from me though, and I don't have a background in marketing.

Here's what I see as disaster though:

Pre release is botched (not enough phones) and then the next day, or a few days later (before more stock is available) the new iPhone is announced.

I personally am cancelling my iPhone contract to get the Pre, but if I go to get one and I can't, and then Apple announces something huge two days later, you better believe I'm re-thinking my decision.
    Palm Pre to Debut the Day Before Apple's Next-Generation iPhone? | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    all things digital says june 7th release is suicide and that annoucement may come on may11th.
    This is turning into a real thriller, isn't it? Different views float around all over the forum on whether it's a good idea for Palm to launch the Pre on 7th or not, and obviously, the guy who wrote this article thinks its a bad idea. Question is... what are Sprint and Palm basing the date on. Is June 7th the earliest they can get it out, or do they really intentionally want to launch just before the great gathering of Apple Fanbois? Both Palm and Sprint repeatedly said that they want to get it out as soon as possible, based on that statement, it would seem that June 7th would be the earliest date they can manage.

If they CAN get it out sooner, I'd hope they would.

As said so often before....we can just wait and see.
    it would be pretty dumb in my opinion.
    i was hoping that the june 7th was the latter of the 2 dates mentioned at in the sprint gurus thread. june 7th being the absolute latest date they could launch before an iphone announcement.

i was thinking if the viral ad rumor is also true just because the job ends june 5th doesn't mean thats when they'd give him a pre, he could get one a week or 2 earlier and still be posting on facebook and what-not about how cool it is or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    i was thinking if the viral ad rumor is also true just because the job ends june 5th doesn't mean thats when they'd give him a pre, he could get one a week or 2 earlier and still be posting on facebook and what-not about how cool it is or whatever.
    I'm thinking that Palm was just probably preparing for the worst. What would happen if they had the the job up for until May 17th and the date gets pushed back and the actor has a contract for another job he must go to on like the 20th. They basically lose their star.
    this kind of makes sense but, with the apple rumors...... how different would the release from 17 May to 7 Jun be, i know it is much to late in the game to release for Mother's Day but this 5 week period until the apple conference will be crucial for both Palm and Sprint... Sprint has laid out the buzz for the Pre w/ their NOW commercials, now it is upto Palm I would imagne.............. Sink or Swim