Page 65 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1555606162636465666768697075 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2299
    Kyusaku - I'm not trying to argue your points just to get you riled up. You have a valid point too that "coal" may or may not have credible sources - problem is whether we choose to believe him or not. The only sources I am following now are employees of Sprint and Palm on Twitter and Inside Sprint Now (yeah it could be a fake blog but man it has WAY too much detail and legal CYA that I don't think anyone would put that much time for it to be a hoax).
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Palm is throwing out misinformation to all of us to build more hype. When they release the phone on May 17th then we'll know if the Goat is right about this. This mysterious "2nd launch date" is really fishy. Everything lately has seemed fishy to me. Especially this viral video casting. That sounds like misinformation too.
    And Pedro comes through again with another good post
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    And how would you verify this if you're not a sprint employee? I could post some "internal product codes" too. Listen - all I'm saying is that June 7th shouldn't all of a sudden knock any possibility of May out of the water. There is still a chance it could be released in the coming month. Until we see something more credible than a document with no release date - then taking someone's word for it is like believing this guy:

Jim Van (LogicommInc) on Twitter

who claims to have a Pre and said that the release date was April 30th.

Even chuq (who WORKS at Palm) just posted this:

RT @Gartenberg @nguyen aren't you tired of unsubstantiated Pre rumors at this point? -- (I sure am! chuq)
    I suppose I can't, to be honest, the codes weren't what sold me but the screenshots of internal account management systems. I've worked in similar software with things like AMEX Financial Advisors' Employee accounts. So while his information doesn't beat out a non-vague comment from Palm or Sprint, it carries a little more weight to myself than a random post on a forum quoting an actor, or a tweet from a non-affiliated twit, or someone on a forum claiming to be an actual Pre Store Advocate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Kyusaku - I'm not trying to argue your points just to get you riled up. You have a valid point too that "coal" may or may not have credible sources - problem is whether we choose to believe him or not. The only sources I am following now are employees of Sprint and Palm on Twitter and Inside Sprint Now (yeah it could be a fake blog but man it has WAY too much detail and legal CYA that I don't think anyone would put that much time for it to be a hoax).
    It should be noted that InsideSprintNow is a Moderator and Adminstrator at SprintGurus if you hadn't notice, I don't know if that changes your opinion at all of SprintGurus, but thought I should note it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Ding ding.. I do agree they need to advertise no later than mid May. This fear of Apple is just amazing around here though. Palm should go on offense. Besides, it doesn't matter what Apple does..Palm will have a successful launch if they have no major bugs.
    Maybe that's because Apple unexpectedly "renovated" the smartphone market, despite established smartphone vendors like Palm and MSFT saying they didn't stand a chance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    When insidesprint posted this:

"Despite the fact that all of us that know the actual release date of the device are bound by a NDA and our job titles, we all know that it’s going to be soon…"

I was all excited about the possibility of it coming in May. So sprintgurus' Coal really thrashed those hopes, but I'm still waiting
    Whatever supply Palm had money to whip up will be sold out. Geez. Palm's main worry is having no major bugs, not Apple. And being able to supply enough to meet initial demand. Last i heard, any new iphone wouldn't debut til summer anyways. So what's the big deal here?
    The big deal is iPhone steals everyone elses thunder. It's best not to go head to head with them at this time until the iPhone loses it's luster a bit more(3G lost some but apparently not enough).

And let's say the 32GB, OLED and/or HD screen rumors are right. Then there's the keyboard rumor, although that may be wishful thinking. But the first 2 alone are enough to get many people to forget the 8GB Pre. 32GB and HD?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ding ding.. I do agree they need to advertise no later than mid May. This fear of Apple is just amazing around here though. Palm should go on offense. Besides, it doesn't matter what Apple does..Palm will have a successful launch if they have no major bugs.
    exactly!! no major bugs=happiness beyond belief and great word of mouth press!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    i hope that palm releases the pre soon, due to the economics we wont have money to spend on a phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Responding to questions from New York Times correspondent John Markoff at a Churchill Club breakfast gathering Thursday morning, Colligan laughed off the idea that any company -- including the wildly popular Apple Computer -- could easily win customers in the finicky smart-phone sector.

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'"

-----

The biggest unknown is price, which went unmentioned during the demo. My assumption is that Palm (PALM) would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200 or so Apple wants for its iPhone. But when I ran that theory by Palm CEO Ed Colligan, he looked at me liked I’d peed on his rug. “Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product,” he asked, then walked away.

You probably should have mentioned that this was from November 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phone queen View Post
    i hope that palm releases the pre soon, due to the economics we wont have money to spend on a phone....
    That, or Swine Flu will kill us all before we can buy a Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    That, or Swine Flu will kill us all before we can buy a Pre!
    Beware the swif!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I just wanted to chime in here and say that if the release date ends up being June 7, as seems to be the newest leading rumor, then I think that Palm and Sprint are absolutely insane. I have no doubt whatsoever that if the Pre has to compete head-head with the new iPhone, given the Apple marketing machine, then the Pre loses no matter how good it is.*

The Pre stood alone at CES as pretty much the only major, and seriously cool, gadget announcement, and stole the limelight accordingly. A day before the new iPhone announcement, however, might as well be the week after. All of the buzz will be about the next day. Hell, even as obsessed as I've been about the Pre, I'd hold off to see what the new iPhone is all about.

*If Palm/Sprint throw in a surprise, like, say, 4G, then I'd take this prediction back. But as it stands now, I'm thinking May or bust.

If they don't land a bombshell like 4G and memory stick interface, then forget about it. To little to late...
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You probably should have mentioned that this was from November 2006
    you don't think maybe that infamous quote is well known at this point?
    Had Palm been first with the Pre, then I'd agree with Colligan. The Pre is a good smartphone, much, much better in this regard than the iPhone. (Of course, Apple would still have done well, probably with Apple simply defining the iPhone differently or, just as likely, designing it differently to better compete against the Pre.)

However, the iPhone was not only out first, but it has years on the Pre. It's set the standard--badly, I'd say--but nevertheless it's the device to beat.
    I am not sure you understand the context of that quote.

That is from when "Palm had been first"

It from several years ago when Palm was dominant with the "standard to beat" the Palm Treo and Palm OS and Colligan was claiming that a PC maker like Apple hadn't a prayer in developing a phone. Shortly after both apple and Microsoft slaughtered Palm in Palms own market.
    Personally, I'm not afraid of Apple. I don't have a smartphone I'm trying to sell.
    Best line of the week!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you don't think maybe that infamous quote is well known at this point?
    By you and me, but not everybody reading has been in on the whole saga. eg post #47
    Last edited by johncc; 04/28/2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    By you and me, but not everybody reading been in on the whole saga.
    that's what Google is for, silly.
    Crazy = how worked up people are getting about a release date = how worked up people are getting about losing their precious sero.
    Hah, and everyone said I was reading too much into the rebate form, that happens to end on 6/06.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    WWDC, June 8-12, is already sold out - at over $1,000 per ticket.

Clearly, anticipation is high for this year’s event for a number of reasons. The first is that developers and presumably the audience at the keynote (which we’ll be at, so that means all of you will get to follow along as well) will get a major glimpse at OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard.” The new OS is currently being tested by developers, but most of the expected user interface changes have yet to be unveiled. WWDC may be the first time anyone gets a real look at those.

But even bigger than Snow Leopard, is the possibility that Apple may use the event to unveil a new version of the iPhone. There have been no shortage of rumors about this, but some kind of new hardware now appears pretty likely. Will it offer faster data speeds? Will it have video recording capabilities? Will it have better battery life? An OLED screen? People want to know. Last year at WWDC, Apple unveiled the iPhone 3G, and dropped the bomb that it would only cost $199 after subsidy.
    In Anticipation Of Snow Leopard And A New iPhone, WWDC Sells Out In Record Time

Palm has either made the boldest of moves by planning a June 7 Pre launch, or is about to embark upon the worst project roll out ever.