Page 64 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1454596061626364656667686974114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2299
  1. #1261  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If that's the case, going up against the iPhone is actually a good strategy. They get to piggyback off of any good press for the iPhone, because no article would really be able to mention the iPhone without mentioning the Pre at the same time. And honestly, any time that the Pre is mentioned in the same breath as the iPhone is a great thing for Palm in terms of perception.
    I'd agree with you in general, but the iPhone is so damn iconic that I can't agree in this case. The Pre already suffers from the "iPhone killer wanna be" stigma, as hard as they've tried to position it otherwise. Put it directly against a new iPhone (cheaper or cooler, or both), and I think it's a losing proposition.
  2. #1262  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I just wanted to chime in here and say that if the release date ends up being June 7, as seems to be the newest leading rumor, then I think that Palm and Sprint are absolutely insane. I have no doubt whatsoever that if the Pre has to compete head-head with the new iPhone, given the Apple marketing machine, then the Pre loses no matter how good it is.*

    The Pre stood alone at CES as pretty much the only major, and seriously cool, gadget announcement, and stole the limelight accordingly. A day before the new iPhone announcement, however, might as well be the week after. All of the buzz will be about the next day. Hell, even as obsessed as I've been about the Pre, I'd hold off to see what the new iPhone is all about.

    *If Palm/Sprint throw in a surprise, like, say, 4G, then I'd take this prediction back. But as it stands now, I'm thinking May or bust.
    What we should take from this post is that it is better to shut up rather than to promise things you can't deliver. As much as it's cool to bash Apple, at least they deliver their products on time and don't announce stuff until they have their act together. Not always, but compared to their other competitors, they do honor their stated timelines better.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 04/28/2009 at 06:02 PM.
  3. #1263  
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    What we should take from this post is that it is better to shut up rather than to promise things you can't deliver. As much as it's cool to bash Apple, at least they ALWAYS seem to deliver their products on time and don't announce stuff until they have their act together. Not always, but compared to their other competitors, they do honor their stated timelines better.
    Palm has always honored it's stated timeline, which was first half 2009. In general, that means sometime in June. Some of us were optimistic (myself included) and thought Aprilish or earlier, and all that really means is that we speculated wrongly.

    Apple announced the iPhone January 2007, and released it June 29, 2007.

    If anything, the only mistake Palm made is saying first half of the year as opposed to saying all along "We'll launch on July 1" and then seeing what happened.
  4. #1264  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not necessarily a horrible thing. Palm definitely seems to think their product is superior to the iPhone, and it looks to many of us here that is true. (Though obviously we don't know for sure yet).

    If that's the case, going up against the iPhone is actually a good strategy. They get to piggyback off of any good press for the iPhone, because no article would really be able to mention the iPhone without mentioning the Pre at the same time. And honestly, any time that the Pre is mentioned in the same breath as the iPhone is a great thing for Palm in terms of perception.

    Sure, it won't do anything for iPhone fanatics who have already decided against the Pre, but for those who are new to the smartphone sector it would help Palm's image.

    (I don't necessarily agree with this, I think any time after May 15 is probably a little too late, but it could be a possible motive. Regardless, I'll still be waiting until whenever they release it). Either way though, they really do need to start getting some Pre specific ads out there to start getting a good perception out there to the non-techie general public before the iPhone releases.
    Ding ding.. I do agree they need to advertise no later than mid May. This fear of Apple is just amazing around here though. Palm should go on offense. Besides, it doesn't matter what Apple does..Palm will have a successful launch if they have no major bugs.
  5. #1265  
    My point's not that Palm's done anything dishonest. They haven't. It's that I think they're making huge marketing mistakes--announcing so early, giving Apple such a long time to counter, and then (possibly) releasing at the same time as the next iPhone.

    Apple could afford to announce in January and release in June. They didn't have anything--or anyone--serious to compete against. Hell, they could _announce_ a new, incredibly cool iPhone in June, and not release until December, and still steal the show.
  6. #1266  
    I think that there is probably a huge difference between what consumers think about competing with the iPhone and what manufacturers think.

    The iPhone may be doing well but it doesn't have 100% market share. There are also huge numbers of consumers who don't like full touchscreen phones. The fact that this is going to be the most advanced phone on Sprint means that it will be in a strong position for exisiting customers who don't want to switch providers.

    Does anybody actually believe that anything Apple announces is going to completely stop sales of other handsets? I bet after the iPhone 3 announcement people are still going to be buying Razr's

    My guess is that Palm will release this when it is ready, not when they think it won't clash with what Apple is doing
  7. #1267  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This fear of Apple is just amazing around here though.
    Personally, I'm not afraid of Apple. I don't have a smartphone I'm trying to sell.
  8. #1268  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Personally, I'm not afraid of Apple. I don't have a smartphone I'm trying to sell.
    Whatever supply Palm had money to whip up will be sold out. Geez. Palm's main worry is having no major bugs, not Apple. And being able to supply enough to meet initial demand. Last i heard, any new iphone wouldn't debut til summer anyways. So what's the big deal here?
  9. #1269  
    Palm Pre rumor of the day: June 7 release date | Crave - CNET

    p.s. i'm tired of Sophia Acosta. i'm tired of the Blue Man Group.
  10. #1270  
    I'm growing so very tired of this. I've waited and waited and waited. Originally it was an Android phone, then WebOS gets announced and I jump ship back to Palm, the makers of my Treo 700wx. I watch and wait, video after video, rumor after rumor. Do not complain at all about the idea of losing SERO and will happily accept the change for the new phone. And still Palm toys with everyone, with the vague responses and keeping their mouths shut on details, to make us think the phone comes with the moon. About 2 months away from FHo2009 cutoff and where has it gotten us? I really don't know how much longer I can deal with this, I feel like I'm at my breaking point.(I'm actually considering looking at the next gen iPhone instead when I never even gave the iPhone a glance in the first place)
  11. #1271  
    I'm still holding out for a May release. I don't really care what "Coal" has to say in sprintgurus. I'm leaving my push pin on May 17th. Because like I posted in Palm's blog:

    "Waiting isn't that hard. It's the lack of information and updates while waiting - and how that adds to speculations, rumors etc - that's what makes it hard. Not only are we expecting some announcements and ads, we're getting information from people and sites we don't know who or what to believe. When customers are ready to shell out their hard earned $ for a new phone and plan, we deserve a little bit more than the company letting us know how humorous it is to keep us waiting."

    Oh and how does ONE post from "COAL" all of a sudden represent all of sprintgurus.com??
  12. #1272  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I'm still holding out for a May release. I don't really care what "Coal" has to say in sprintgurus. I'm leaving my push pin on May 17th. Because like I posted in Palm's blog:

    "Waiting isn't that hard. It's the lack of information and updates while waiting - and how that adds to speculations, rumors etc - that's what makes it hard. Not only are we expecting some announcements and ads, we're getting information from people and sites we don't know who or what to believe. When customers are ready to shell out their hard earned $ for a new phone and plan, we deserve a little bit more than the company letting us know how humorous it is to keep us waiting."
  13. #1273  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Oh and how does ONE post from "COAL" all of a sudden represent all of sprintgurus.com??
    I dunno, the fact he owns the site?

    From his sig on sprintgurus.com
    Signature
    The owner of Sprint Gurus and Avid Sprint User
  14. #1274  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Palm Pre rumor of the day: June 7 release date | Crave - CNET

    p.s. i'm tired of Sophia Acosta. i'm tired of the Blue Man Group.
    Hee hee. Ditto. I never did like the Blue Man Group to begin with.
  15. #1275  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I dunno, the fact he owns the site?

    From his sig on sprintgurus.com
    I don't care if he owns the site. Does that automatically mean that his rumor has to be taken as "the date?" Sure he claims to have leaked information but so do a bunch of other people. I could just as well open my own website and post a rumor about the launch date and create some spreadsheet showing some dates. Does that make my date more credible? It would be more believable if he worked at sprint (see http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com/) and posted something in sprintgurus. Owning the site is such an irrelevant factor to how accurate the date is.
  16. #1276  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I don't care if he owns the site. Does that automatically mean that his rumor has to be taken as "the date?" Sure he claims to have leaked information but so do a bunch of other people. I could just as well open my own website and post a rumor about the launch date and create some spreadsheet showing some dates. Does that make my date more credible?
    Will your site come accompanied with screenshots of internal Sprint software, documents of internal Sprint workings, system codes that are only meant to be known to Sprint employees? Then maybe?
  17. #1277  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Does anybody actually believe that anything Apple announces is going to completely stop sales of other handsets? I bet after the iPhone 3 announcement people are still going to be buying Razr's.
    I agree with most of what you said, except: if this were Microsoft or Google, I'd say fine, they can afford to go toe-to-toe with Apple and let sales build over time. Maybe even use the Pre 1 as an intro to a Pre 2. I'd be okay with it because I'd have some $billions in the bank.

    Palm needs the Pre to be very successful, however, merely to survive. As I mentioned in another thread, I have no idea what number keeps Palm alive (at least, without selling to someone like Dell), but I'm guessing it's not unit sales in the hundreds of thousands, at least not the low hundreds. It's probably starting at a million, and going up from there.

    Anything else, and it's not just a disappointing product launch for Palm.
  18. #1278  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    system codes that are only meant to be known to Sprint employees
    And how would you verify this if you're not a sprint employee? I could post some "internal product codes" too. Listen - all I'm saying is that June 7th shouldn't all of a sudden knock any possibility of May out of the water. There is still a chance it could be released in the coming month. Until we see something more credible than a document with no release date - then taking someone's word for it is like believing this guy:

    Jim Van (LogicommInc) on Twitter

    who claims to have a Pre and said that the release date was April 30th.

    Even chuq (who WORKS at Palm) just posted this:

    RT @Gartenberg @nguyen aren't you tired of unsubstantiated Pre rumors at this point? -- (I sure am! chuq)
  19. #1279  
    I'm starting to wonder if Palm is throwing out misinformation to all of us to build more hype. When they release the phone on May 17th then we'll know if the Goat is right about this. This mysterious "2nd launch date" is really fishy. Everything lately has seemed fishy to me. Especially this viral video casting. That sounds like misinformation too.
  20. #1280  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Palm is throwing out misinformation to all of us to build more hype. When they release the phone on May 17th then we'll know if the Goat is right about this. This mysterious "2nd launch date" is really fishy. Everything lately has seemed fishy to me. Especially this viral video casting. That sounds like misinformation too.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." - Robert J. Hanlon

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions