Page 63 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263646566676873113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2299
    Some guy on a forum saying its a fraud wont stop anything. Expect to see it starting tomorrow. (?)

I am sure it will make the waiting that much more infuriating for all of us!
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    They don't have the money. Look at their financial and adverting budgets. Sprint will do all the large advertisng, Sprint will define the Pre, Palm will be doing the viral marketing. Palm already has as their PRPRPR $firm$ ($Edelman$) $the$ $group$ $most$ $known$ $for$ $flogging$ $and$ $insinuating$ $into$ $blogs$, $social$ $media$ $and$ $user$ $forums$.
    I know their finances are tight, but I had more of a print blitz in mind (especially since magazines and dailies are slashing rates now in a desperate bid to get enough ad revenue to stay solvent). There should be full page ads in all of the major dailies and pretty much every Time Warner publication about the Pre. Palm DOES have the money for that sort of ad buy. A few mil (Less than five) should do it.
    Zoinks.

Gizmodo confirmed the viral thing (Gizmodo - Palm's Casting a Pre Viral Video Right Now - Palm pre viral).
    Sprint hasn't updated their twitter page in 4 days:

sprint (sprint) on Twitter

I think this is a sign they're getting really busy with something. If you notice they've been pretty good about updating at least once or twice a day. Might be getting ready for go time
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    so, does that mean with these viral videos, we are going to see more videos like we did with that girl from Molls world?? that wanted a Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    so, does that mean with these viral videos, we are going to see more videos like we did with that girl from Molls world?? that wanted a Pre?
    I hope not - that video was several minutes of my life that I'm never going to get back.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I know their finances are tight, but I had more of a print blitz in mind (especially since magazines and dailies are slashing rates now in a desperate bid to get enough ad revenue to stay solvent). There should be full page ads in all of the major dailies and pretty much every Time Warner publication about the Pre. Palm DOES have the money for that sort of ad buy. A few mil (Less than five) should do it.
    Some, but the large campaign will be Sprints. By large I am talking TV.
    As far as Print you will see Palm buys in some magazines, but mainly Palm will be doing things like product placement (shows, celebrities), back advertorial (payola, freebies, etc to writers) and seem web advertising.

For dailies, ie newspapers, this is going to be 99% Sprint. That is historic even with makers who have way more money. For TV Palm doesn't have the money except for a few minor pops.

BTW the big rate cuts in Print and in all advertisng are going more to continual customers. It is more difficult for a sporadic advertiser, like a consumer electronics maker who is going to just grab a bit of adverting for a short period to get good rates. It is buying for a year or six months that gets you good rates.
    I just wanted to chime in here and say that if the release date ends up being June 7, as seems to be the newest leading rumor, then I think that Palm and Sprint are absolutely insane. I have no doubt whatsoever that if the Pre has to compete head-head with the new iPhone, given the Apple marketing machine, then the Pre loses no matter how good it is.*

The Pre stood alone at CES as pretty much the only major, and seriously cool, gadget announcement, and stole the limelight accordingly. A day before the new iPhone announcement, however, might as well be the week after. All of the buzz will be about the next day. Hell, even as obsessed as I've been about the Pre, I'd hold off to see what the new iPhone is all about.

*If Palm/Sprint throw in a surprise, like, say, 4G, then I'd take this prediction back. But as it stands now, I'm thinking May or bust.
    Responding to questions from New York Times correspondent John Markoff at a Churchill Club breakfast gathering Thursday morning, Colligan laughed off the idea that any company -- including the wildly popular Apple Computer -- could easily win customers in the finicky smart-phone sector.

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'"

-----

The biggest unknown is price, which went unmentioned during the demo. My assumption is that Palm (PALM) would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200 or so Apple wants for its iPhone. But when I ran that theory by Palm CEO Ed Colligan, he looked at me liked Id peed on his rug. Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product, he asked, then walked away.
    Sigh. What a ride...

February 15th
    March 15th
    April 5th
    May 17th
    June 7th
    June 29th

It's all rumors, but emotions are still taken for the ride. =/
    Gekko, we're on the same page here.

Had Palm been first with the Pre, then I'd agree with Colligan. The Pre is a good smartphone, much, much better in this regard than the iPhone. (Of course, Apple would still have done well, probably with Apple simply defining the iPhone differently or, just as likely, designing it differently to better compete against the Pre.)

However, the iPhone was not only out first, but it has years on the Pre. It's set the standard--badly, I'd say--but nevertheless it's the device to beat. It's a nice mobile, connected media device with phone capabilities, it's Apple, and it's cool. And I don't imagine that Apple's been sitting around ignoring the Pre; I imagine that, in addition to what's already been announced, Apple has a few other things up its sleeve. And Apple has lots more money in the bank, so a price war is the last thing Palm wants to get into.

More important, everyone will be waiting to see what Apple comes up with. Release on May 17, and I think there's still time to get in a good punch and build some momentum before the iPhone announcement. Wait until June 7, and I think Palm should start shopping itself.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    It will be worse if the release it too early with major bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    It will be worse if the release it too early with major bugs.
    It's very easy for me to say this as an armchair marketer, but: if the Pre has major bugs at this point, then in my opionion this has been a terrible job of marketing. If they weren't farther along in development, then why announce the product at CES, thus giving the competition (i.e., Apple) months to prepare for the eventual release? And then, timing the release to be the same day, essentially, as the iPhone? After giving Apple said months to develop a message aimed at countering every Pre strength?

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
    June 7 = they really must want to fight with the iPhone, whether they admit it or not. They can't be oblivious to all these iPhone rumors. And I think June 12 is Apple's day to fully announce 3.0 and people bet the new hardware will be mentioned too.

If June 7 is true, that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If Pre's release in any way bumps up against an iPhone announcement - either 3.0 software or 4G hardware - its game over. Apple/iPhone get front page press, Palm/Pre buried in the shadows. Not to mention thousands who will hold out the closer the timeframe is to iPhone 4G.
    Yeah guys...Palm and Sprint are just sitting around waiting. They probably have 50 Pre phones in a closet at the back of each Best Buy and Sprint store...and waiting for Apple to launch. Suuuure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    June 7 = they really must want to fight with the iPhone, whether they admit it or not. They can't be oblivious to all these iPhone rumors. And I think June 12 is Apple's day to fully announce 3.0 and people bet the new hardware will be mentioned too.

If June 7 is true, that is.
    I remember hearing that Apple's doing something on June 8. Although, I think they do stuff on Tuesdays, right? So, June 9? Anyways, within a few days of an iPhone announcement, or a week later, won't make a difference.

And given the hype around the Pre (so far), I think you can bet Apple will be announcing new hardware.
    Hm... maybe Palm knows something about Apple that no one else knows, like...the new iPhone is just a cheaper version of the iPhone, and the only big thing they got going is 3.0? After all, the new technology that people rumor about what the new iPhone will have is still pretty expensive (mainly a OLED screen), so maybe they are backing off that plan due to high costs?

If the new iPhone really is just the cheap version, then that would be a slam dunk for Palm/Sprint.

Just me and my wishful thinking...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    If Pre's release in any way bumps up against an iPhone announcement - either 3.0 software or 4G hardware - its game over. Apple/iPhone get front page press, Palm/Pre buried in the shadows. Not to mention thousands who will hold out the closer the timeframe is to iPhone 4G.

Not necessarily a horrible thing. Palm definitely seems to think their product is superior to the iPhone, and it looks to many of us here that is true. (Though obviously we don't know for sure yet).

If that's the case, going up against the iPhone is actually a good strategy. They get to piggyback off of any good press for the iPhone, because no article would really be able to mention the iPhone without mentioning the Pre at the same time. And honestly, any time that the Pre is mentioned in the same breath as the iPhone is a great thing for Palm in terms of perception.

Sure, it won't do anything for iPhone fanatics who have already decided against the Pre, but for those who are new to the smartphone sector it would help Palm's image.

(I don't necessarily agree with this, I think any time after May 15 is probably a little too late, but it could be a possible motive. Regardless, I'll still be waiting until whenever they release it). Either way though, they really do need to start getting some Pre specific ads out there to start getting a good perception out there to the non-techie general public before the iPhone releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah guys...Palm and Sprint are just sitting around waiting. They probably have 50 Pre phones in a closet at the back of each Best Buy and Sprint store...and waiting for Apple to launch. Suuuure.
    Doesn't matter whether it's on purpose or not. It could just be that this is how the cookie's crumbled. But if so, it's most unfortunate for the Pre.