Page 55 of 115 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2299
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have to agree with you cardfan. I don't think it will be less then $249. So what the iphone is $199. The pre is a better product and it will be cheaper for me in the long run compared to at&t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    I think there is no doubt the the price will be under $200. Whether $199 or lower is dependent on how well Palm wants the device to do.
    Time for a lesson on the handset manufacturer - carrier dynamic. The handset manufacturer, in this case Palm, sets the retail price, which I except to be no less than $600. Sprint is going to pay this to Palm for each Pre sold, and then they are going to subsidize into your contract the cost of the Pre, so they can sell it at a much lower price and get you to actually buy it.

So, Palm sets retail price, Sprint sets the contract price and takes a hit right up front.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    If retail price is $600 that would be what they would charge a customer for an off contract phone. Customer being the end user. Sprint is going to be at least a one comma purchaser and hopefully a two comma one. They're not paying retail for the phone. Think you're the one that needs the lesson. Since when has any major retailer, wholesaler or bulk purchaser paid retail for any product it is trying to resell? That would mean that for Sprint or anyone to sell an off contract phone they would have to mark it up over retail in order to turn a profit. Yeah, that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Time for a lesson on the handset manufacturer - carrier dynamic. The handset manufacturer, in this case Palm, sets the retail price, which I except to be no less than $600. Sprint is going to pay this to Palm for each Pre sold, and then they are going to subsidize into your contract the cost of the Pre, so they can sell it at a much lower price and get you to actually buy it.

So, Palm sets retail price, Sprint sets the contract price and takes a hit right up front.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If retail price is $600 that would be what they would charge a customer for an off contract phone. Customer being the end user. Sprint is going to be at least a one comma purchaser and hopefully a two comma one. They're not paying retail for the phone. Think you're the one that needs the lesson. Since when has any major retailer, wholesaler or bulk purchaser paid retail for any product it is trying to resell? That would mean that for Sprint or anyone to sell an off contract phone they would have to mark it up over retail in order to turn a profit. Yeah, that makes sense.
    True, I meant to include that bit and ended up getting distracted. Regardless, Sprint is going to be paying more than the contract price for the phone.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    well that's a give. Would hope most know that by now.

Someone mentioned Colligan's reply to the less than $199 iphone price. Two key words in there were "less than". So his reply saying of course not doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be higher than $199. It just means it won't be less than $199. So $199 could still be reality. I do think it will be somewhere between the $199 and 249 mark. Any higher and it just won't have the appeal to the "fat middle". It's great that one would think the product is worth a premium, but the masses it is getting marketed to most likely won't pay any more than $250 for it, even if you'll make that $50 back over the iphone within a few months of billing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    OK my turn less than an hour ago AT told me that AT was emailed that release for the Pre - 1st launch is May 17th & the second relese is June 29th.
    She read it to me word for word.
    oK not trying in any way to be useless since I'm on case to receive 2 Pre.
    hopefully this e-mail will be getting leaked at any moment now.

Say anything about premier customers?
    We did not discuss Premier, she retrieved the email & read to me word for word. True not all departments know since they(sprnt) use different systems & everyone is prevented from knowing everything about you therefore different departments. Just got off the phone w/a confirmation that 2 Pre's will be sent to me. If you are Premier you should know how to get what you want. (remember - names, ID's & phone numbers). Good luck.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    We did not discuss Premier, she retrieved the email & read to me word for word. True not all departments know since they(sprnt) use different systems & everyone is prevented from knowing everything about you therefore different departments. Just got off the phone w/a confirmation that 2 Pre's will be sent to me. If you are Premier you should know how to get what you want. (remember - names, ID's & phone numbers). Good luck.
    Should I just go into my local corporate store, grab someone by the throat until they oblige to my requests to have 2 pres sent to me on the day of release? Seems easy enough.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I don't understand why there are two releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't understand why there are two releases.
    The May date is the one that they are shooting for - the June is the last possible day, the "no matter what we are releasing the phone by this day" day.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    The May date is the one that they are shooting for - the June is the last possible day, the "no matter what we are releasing the phone by this day" day.
    I've thought about this, and wondered, would they REALLY release a phone on a Monday?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I've thought about this, and wondered, would they REALLY release a phone on a Monday?
    While there's not precedent saying that they would, pushing all the way back to June 29 would require an extraordinary shortfall of supply or software, at which point they'll just want to get the damned thing out as soon as possible (maybe).
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 04/20/2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Personally, I think the price of this phone will be $249 with a 2 year contract. I personally think that is probably fair despite the fact that the iPhone is $199. For me, the keyboard alone is worth the extra cost. I'm trying to remember what the 800w cost me. I think that was $249 after all the rebates, which seems to be the norm for Palm for the last couple of devices I've bought from them. If the price is less than $249 I'll be happy about that but if it is around $249 I won't be surprised. It it's $299 then I will still buy it (as others have mentioned, the costs of the sprint plans are just so much better) but I'll probably wait a while first.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. If it was, why would the Blackberry Curve be $569 retail at Sprint, but be $749 retail at Best Buy?
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    I'm not sure this is entirely true. If it was, why would the Blackberry Curve be $569 retail at Sprint, but be $749 retail at Best Buy?
    Nobody says that you have to sell it at the retail price. For all we know, Sprint was discounting even the retail price and Best Buy was jacking it up.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    always put that maybe at the end ... hedge
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I saw this on Twitter today on Palm's account:

RT @brettq: @palm_inc Take your time with the Pre, some of us need to finish some apps first

So I assume a lot of folks hate this "brettq" person right now LOL
    Lol. When I saw that update get sent to my phone, I was like "STFU brett!"
    I try not to speak uselesly but Until anything arrives regretfully maybe-- may be included.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I saw this on Twitter today on Palm's account:

RT @brettq: @palm_inc Take your time with the Pre, some of us need to finish some apps first

So I assume a lot of folks hate this "brettq" person right now LOL
    If anyone knows that Brett guy... please punch him in the ear for me.

Not only is he a ******* for bragging about being able to even develop an app, but he's telling palm not to release the phone yet.