Page 54 of 115 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2299
    My guess 299 USD.
    Release date, how about Jun 31, eh? Not possible?
    $299? The Pre would absolutely fail. I don't think you understand, it's not about how much the Pre costs to make, nor how much profit to make off of each unit, it's about the iPhone price tag of $199.

$299 iPhone "copy" on Sprint or $199 iPhone on att. There is zero competition there.
    iPhone would cost more if it had a physical keyboard. Or if it had multitasking. Pre has both, and will cost more than iPhone. $249 minimum, maybe more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    it's not about how much the device costs to make, nor how much profit to make off of each unit, it's about the iPhone price tag of $199.
    Pre cannot be a price setter, only a price taker.
    $229, June 29
    ...it's about the iPhone price tag of $199.

$299 iPhone "copy" on Sprint or $199 iPhone on att. There is zero competition there.
    Despite everything, I don't think the Pre is in competition with iPhone. Firstly it is the CDMA<->GSM thing, and second, the Pre makes the iPhone look decidedly dated and old-fashioned.

That being said, there is something like being priced too less.

- mvk
    I have a friend that has an IPhone, with unlimited calling, unlimited data and whatever else you need to pay for with an IPhone and it cost him $180 a month through AT&T. At least that's what he told me. That's what kills the IPhone.

Plus you can't replace the battery, I've been told.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The highest I think that the pre can go is 200 dollars. Especially because if it's priced higher, those who thought about switching will wait till the end of june to see if the apple releases a new iphone. Which I think they will release.
    I love lolcats
    I agree price is a BIG factor here cause the reality is iPhone is a wonderful phone, att netwrrk aside. The app store is amazing on it, every day i see new apps n im like wow...

I have a good feeling all or most of these apps will be eventually on pre, why not these same devs will get paid again...and THATS when this PRE will shine in the mainstream more...

so that all being said I dont think Palm or Sprint are in position to sell it more than iphone, see WE know its worth it you have to realize mainstream public is stupid...
    OK my turn less than an hour ago AT told me that AT was emailed that release for the Pre - 1st launch is May 17th & the second relese is June 29th.
    She read it to me word for word.
    oK not trying in any way to be useless since I'm on case to receive 2 Pre.
    What the bleep is AT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    What the bleep is AT?
    I am guessing authorized technician or something like that.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

AT is Advanced Tech. the upper Tier. ( I've met & know a few Important people & so far none of them have told me a falsity).
    As you might know, as explained to me the KB will be like a PC easy to type & of course its OS improvement & how it will be a great improvment of the Treo Pro.
    Also learned there are many in AT (see previous) who are waiting & getting the Pre.
    How many are You getting?
    Geez. Doesn't anyone remember this:

When Peter Kafka asked if the Palm Pre's price would be less than the iPhone's $US199, Palm CEO Ed Colligan replied, "Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product?"

Palm Unveils Its iPhone Rival: The Pre. Don’t Expect to Buy One Cheap. | Peter Kafka | MediaMemo | AllThingsD

He's the CEO of Palm so I kinda believe him over all the speculation here
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    When Peter Kafka asked if the Palm Pre's price would be less than the iPhone's $US199, Palm CEO Ed Colligan replied, "Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product?"
    Didn't he also say that the price will be 'very competitive'? That gives me some hope that the price will be reasonable...
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    Release Date May 17
    Price $149
    more like $199 after discounts. The range would be $150 to $250 but I think they can go to $200
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    I agree price is a BIG factor here cause the reality is iPhone is a wonderful phone, att netwrrk aside. The app store is amazing on it, every day i see new apps n im like wow...

I have a good feeling all or most of these apps will be eventually on pre, why not these same devs will get paid again...and THATS when this PRE will shine in the mainstream more...

so that all being said I dont think Palm or Sprint are in position to sell it more than iphone, see WE know its worth it you have to realize mainstream public is stupid...
    All the apple fanboy stuff aside, the iphone is a great device. I easily would pay more than 199 for it.

BUT...then i pay the monthly bills. Seriously, 89 a month is the lowest plan that includes unlimited text @450 voice min a month.

OR...i can get the lowest Sprint plan at 59 a month that includes unlimited text, 500 voice mins, and Sprint Navigation.

I do believe that's 30 dollars a month difference and you still get 50 more minutes and Navigation. If the Pre even cost 299, it would only take 4 months to recoup that extra hundred saving 30 a month.

Family plans are cheaper per phone and save even more per month.

Now i realize many are stupid, don't worry about this stuff and only have eyes for the price of the phone. And many are simply looking at what they're paying now at Sprint which isn't anything near an iphone plan or this one. And hearing AT&T (or Apple..they're not totally innocent here with a vested interest in selling media) want to kill apps which would use 3G data is tiresome considering they're already raping its iphone users on a monthly basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post

Palm Unveils Its iPhone Rival: The Pre. Dont Expect to Buy One Cheap. | Peter Kafka | MediaMemo | AllThingsD

He's the CEO of Palm so I kinda believe him over all the speculation here
    On the day the Pre was announced? (IIRC) What did you think he would say then? "Oh yeah, this thing is great and all but we will price it dirt cheap since it isnt an iPhone!" And nothing he said there would preclude pricing it the same as the iPhone. Better product, same price!

Everything we have seen so far has shown us that Palm is neither stupid or blind to the market anymore. Pricing Pre higher then a wildly popular competitor that is due for an imminent refresh would be the height of stupidity.
    The iphone blog (sister site to this one) had a great reminder. It's about profit share, not market share. Palm needs a good margin after the Centro mess. Also, demand will not be higher than it is right now so they can shoot for higher out of the gate. It won't approach this level again til the Pre2. I expect 249. In a non recession, i'd expect 299 but i think bloggers would toast em. They may still at 249. This leaves room for adjustments around the holidays as the initial demand wears off or a 16gb model.

EDIT: Yep, i know Sprint subsidizes and plays a huge role. One has to wonder how much they can sub or willing to go while having the cheapest plans.