Page 40 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3035363738394041424344455090 ... LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That unlike Palm, the iPhone had a leg up simply based on the infastructure of its previous brands basically building upon each other (Palm has other products, but not the real "build upon them").

I think the Pre will do wonderfully, but I think its going to be a slightly more uphill battle than what the iPhone had.
    PALM did build some loyal customers , except that they are scattered now.
    I am expecting them to come out of the woodwork and start buying PALM products with Pre.

I do not think its an uphill battle for PALM on the technology basis, but the loyalty that APPLE built in recent years is something that no Mobile phone make can achieve in next few ( I would say 5 ) years.
    And with only 8gb, many Pre owners will still have an mp3 player. I would take that wager. Many have large gig ipods with their whole collection of music and lots of movies, tv shows and what not. They're not giving that up to go strictly to an 8 or 16gb iphone. I know a few that don't even use their iphone for music and still use their ipod. Which just goes to show how well they market. It's a music player that's also a phone but people don't use the player side. They're more interested in playing with their koi pond.
    Easiest way to think about it.

I'd wager most iPhone users just have their iPhone, not an iPhone and an iPod for music.

I'd bet you that a large amount of WinMo and POS users have both their smartphone AND an iPod.

That's what really kick started the iPhone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Another point is half of the iPhone users are under 30 years.
    For PALM , my guess is , its the opposite, average PALM fan is above 30.
    ^ I'm 25 and am a super obsessed Pre fan. I think all you have to do to win my generation over is come up with something fresh and innovative. That's why the iPhone is such a hit in my demographic.

Once people my age behold the Pre with their own eyes, they will be won over.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    ^ I'm 25 and am a super obsessed Pre fan. I think all you have to do to win my generation over is come up with something fresh and innovative. That's why the iPhone is such a hit in my demographic.

You and I, Sir Goat, are in the same boat. Okay, I'm 22, but still, a similar age bracket and outside the norm for Palm fans.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    They do conflict if there is no demand.
    But with the demand , this can be win win for both.

Scenario 1
    Lets say PALM want 600 dollars for each phone sold.
    SPRINT can charge 199 , and cough up the other 401..
    Lol, That is the fallacy you seem to think that sprint will be buying Pres for $600 if the retail list price is $600.

Sprint probably will be paying 1/3 to 1/2 of "list price."

Palm is not going to decide today or yesterday how much they are going to charge Sprint. They decided and agreed probably for the first two or three million units back in November or December 08 when Palm was desperate.
    The iPhone wasn't just a phone, it was the next step from the iPod. It used the same software as your iPod, could do all the things your iPod could do, but now with a BIG screen AND with a Phone so you didn't have to carry both around!
    Excellent point. I know about 50 people with iphones and they all use their iphone as their ipod replacement now. Some still have ipods but let someone else use them or use them only for specialized task like jogging or wearing on armband in the gym
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post

PALM did build some loyal customers , except that they are scattered now.
    I am expecting them to come out of the woodwork and start buying PALM products with Pre.

I do not think its an uphill battle for PALM on the technology basis, but the loyalty that APPLE built in recent years is something that no Mobile phone make can achieve in next few ( I would say 5 ) years.
    And this is exactly why Palm's previous users aren't a good equation to the iPod users of Apple.

The iPhone built upon what iPod people knew....iTunes. It was an evolutionary step really from the iPod videos to the iPhone, not so much revolutionary.

The WebOS is an evolutionary step away from Palm OS it seems. There's no great amount of familiarity. I don't think "old palm user to WebOS" is on par with "old iPod user to iPhone".

Additionally, the use of Synergy is making me think that the Pre ISN'T going for the older crowd. Facebook integration with contacts and calander, all the "cloud" stuff, the focus on the inline chat for the rabid texters/IMers.

The Pre looks like its positioning itself as a favorite for the 20-30 year old Web 2.0 crowd.
    There's also a 40-50+ yr old Web 2.0 crowd :P
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    There's also a 40-50+ yr old Web 2.0 crowd :P
    I would also be interested in the ad blitz time-line for the Instinct. Thinking June though.
    You all are right about the progression from iPod to iPhone for many users. I myself am sick of carry 2 devices. It's just more convenient to have it all in one package.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Yes they do, every time I switch between my 755p and 800w I get a flier informing me about my "new Phone"
    Why don't they just send email? I thought everyone was going "green". I don't even get coupons in the mail much, they email them and expect you to print them out. That also saves them paper costs on the coupons people used to throw out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Lol, That is the fallacy you seem to think that sprint will be buying Pres for $600 if the retail list price is $600.

Sprint probably will be paying 1/3 to 1/2 of "list price."

Palm is not going to decide today or yesterday how much they are going to charge Sprint. They decided and agreed probably for the first two or three million units back in November or December 08 when Palm was desperate.

I was giving an example , not exact price , the price PALM demands has to be paid by SPRINT + SUBSIDY + CUSTOMER .

The issue is how much PALM wants and how much SPRINT can give , there lies a conflict, cardfan said it correctly.

Also , do you assume that PALM might have been at the loosing end when they negotiated the deal with SPRINT on a phone with such great features ?
    Wake up , SPRINT is in deep ... so is PALM. Anyone who owns SPRINT stock will know that.

I would say the price deal would have been ended in PALM's favor.
    After all PALM's last hope it was .
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Another point is half of the iPhone users are under 30 years.
    For PALM , my guess is , its the opposite, average PALM fan is above 30.
    According to my research, with the iPhone, the glass is half empty. On the other hand, with Palm, the glass is half full.
    I heard someone who has reason to know about these things say early-to-mid May.

Sorry, I can't and won't be more clear. Well, I'll say that this person isn't a Sprint employee, so that counts as an additional source, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    I heard someone who has reason to know about these things say early-to-mid May.

Sorry, I can't and won't be more clear. Well, I'll say that this person isn't a Sprint employee, so that counts as an additional source, right?
    Are additional sources that are further removed from the ultimate source helpful? Although, I suppose that a non-Sprint employee might not necessarily be further removed (Dan Hesse's wife would be a good example).

I may be in the minority here, but I actually think that when a release date is known by Palm/Sprint, they will tell us. I can't think of a good reason not to tell us if they actually know what it is. I think they haven't told us yet because they're not sure yet. They have a stack of things left to do, and each item in the stack has some schedule uncertainty to it, so the whole stack is even more uncertain. If I'm right, and there is still some uncertainty, then the best guess is probably halfway between now and June 30th, which puts it at around May 17th, but it's still a guess.

Another reason (please don't hate me) not to tell us is that the majority of the probability mass lies on the other side of June 30th, which means they are more than likely going to be late, but there's still some hope that it will be ready before then, and they will scramble like mad to make sure. But they don't want to say anything other than 1H09 yet because they might still make it.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    jbg7474
    I would agree with the uncertainty part.
    The phone IMHO , is ready , minus the APP part.
    SPRINT TV , SPRINT Navi works and so it GOOGLE maps and such.
    We already know the integration of FACEBOOK , universal search ... work.
    I am not saying its perfect , but all these "WORK".

Which leaves with the APP store.

I think , PALM and SPRINT both probably want to make sure folks have option to buy few APPS.
    That's the real uncertainty part.
    Installing , testing and certifying the APPS.

Regarding your second point of falling outside the June 30th , IMHO, is probably disastrous for PALM.
    SPRINT has cash flow , still 30- 40 some million who pay their monthly fee , so it can chug along with other handsets.
    PALM will probably be sold , or bought over , or ....
    Stakes are high.

It will be April - May
    I predict that this thread reaches 1000 posts before the Pre is launched. I'm sure of it. Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to tell me why...right here...even if there are hundreds of you.
    ^ 1000 prediction posts! I hope that my useless dribble is at least 100 of them.

Our forums are slowing down a bit again. We need more tidbits of info. When is the next useless webinar?
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I predict that this thread reaches 1000 posts before the Pre is launched. I'm sure of it. Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to tell me why...right here...even if there are hundreds of you.
    Something tells me that you're not going to get much disagreement here.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright