Page 39 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940414243444989 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I've been holding with Dieter on the May 10th stuff. I should get a cookie if we're right.
    This is what I'm guessing to!! Plus it's my birthday!! Yay me! Does that mean I get a free PRE?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I can almost bet the release date is going to be June 28th regardless of what the Iphone is doing. They still have alot of advertising to do. Get the phones in the hands of reviewers. Remodel the stores and get someone in each store that knows about the in's and out's of the phone. Again, this is just my guess.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    intresting speculation - about the vacaiton thing - never heard anything like that before. did anyoen here follow the instints release? did something suimilar happen? Or how about the iphone ?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roturn View Post
    First time posting, been lurking for the past few months anxiously waiting the release date. Figured I would provide you with some knowledge that I know.

1. I asked a freind who is a Store Manager about the vacation blackout in May. They said they were not aware of it.

2. They asked why, so I told them about this post. The reply was, "I know it is going to be big, the store is being remodeled specifically for the PRE release. Expected release date is June/July by Store Manager's knowledge.

If Sprint/Palm is sticking with the first half of the year theory, then June will be the month. This only speculation, it doesn't seem like even Sprint employees have a solid basis to make a guess.
    Thanks for checking... I'm going to ask around some more but that came from a district manager; he made my friend cancel her trip.
    They really need to release before June... I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    intresting speculation - about the vacaiton thing - never heard anything like that before. did anyoen here follow the instints release? did something suimilar happen? Or how about the iphone ?
    I know AT&T did this for the iPhone.

Sprint didn't do it for the Instinct. But as well as the Instinct did (which I got the first day and returned it a few weeks later, b/c it was a peice of crap), it is no where near as important as the Pre. As evident in the remodeling taking place at Sprint Stores.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    They don't conflict. Sprint discounts phones as much as $500. They have had $600 list price phones selling for $99.

Sprint's decision on how much to discount the phone isn't palms business, palm isn't part of the decision.

Palm probably has the first one or two million going to sprint for pretty cheap terms anyway.

iPhones are commonly available in 8gb fro $150, as low as $100 last month. Press pressure is only going to grow.

I doubt they are looking at anything over $199 for Pre as final discounted price. They can list price it as high as $500 for all anyone cares.
    They do conflict if there is no demand.
    But with the demand , this can be win win for both.

Scenario 1
    Lets say PALM want 600 dollars for each phone sold.
    SPRINT can charge 199 , and cough up the other 401.
    They can earn 70( per month ) * 24 = 1680 from the customer from a two year contract.
    After giving 401 to PALM , they are left with 1279.
    Now add 2-3 millions of such transactions.
    You are talking billions here ( assuming the customers stay on for 24 months).

Scenario 2
    PALM wants 500 dollars per phone on with a fixed no of 3 million sales to SPRINT.

SPRINT can give 500 and has to do that on a month or quarter basis regardless of the sales of Pre.
    SPRINT then can sell it for 250 if the demand is higher than expected, or sell it for 99 and get more customers.

Conflict does exist , its pure simple , the equipment manufacture wants more , and the service provider wants to pay less.
    As long as they can do volume business, it will be a tough making money for each. Somebody's got to give in.
    I know AT&T did this for the iPhone.

Sprint didn't do it for the Instinct. But as well as the Instinct did (which I got the first day and returned it a few weeks later, b/c it was a peice of crap), it is no where near as important as the Pre. As evident in the remodeling taking place at Sprint Stores.
    if At&t did it for the iphone then that is a good basis 4 sprint doing it for the pre

thank you
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The day is not far away ,
    SPRINT started that FLASH page,
    then I hear they are focusing on advertising their 4G,
    they are buying space on NYT

Things are moving along.
    I have a gut feeling that the launch is in early May.

Does anyone remember how early SPRINT started their commercials before the Instinct launch ?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'm not worried about the price. I would just like it to come out. My Sprint guy told me May 17th. With all this info about vacation blackouts I believe him. Especially since Palm is focusing on the apps now. They've even had time to make little videos of what they are working on (fandango and pandora). I beleive that the phone is complete.
    Well i called up my local sprint store a couple days ago and the sprint rep told me the Palm Pre will come out June 1st. She told me i could sign up and be guaranteed a Palm Pre on launch day.. She told me that 36 people along with me have already signed up to buy the phone on launch day.. She also said those 36 people are switching from other phone companies to sprint for the palm pre.. So who knows when the phone is actually gonna come up but i do know that launch day will be very busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    if At&t did it for the iphone then that is a good basis 4 sprint doing it for the pre

thank you
    As anticipated as the Pre is, it still doesn't have nearly the market appeal as the iPhone had when it was released. You can't compare the initial impact of the two phones.

Over the course of time, the Pre may well have a solid effect on the market, but I don't think you will see the intial surge like you had for the iPhone for several reasons.

1. The Pre is not going to be exclusive to Sprint in the same way the iPhone was and still is to AT&T. Palm will need to rely on muiltple carriers to be successfull. I just don't see Sprint holding on to the Pre exclusively for 2-3 years. This will lighten the intial demand from the regular public.

2. This is Palm, not the sexy Apple company. As good of a product as the Pre hopefully will be, the public is not in love with Palm in the same way they are with Apple. the iPhone was an extension of an existing line, the iPod. It had a solid market share and consumers were fvery knowledgable about the product. Palm will need have a slower curve as they educate and win over consumers.
    My birthday is April 23rd. Palm knows this... So I expect the launch day to be right before then.

I mean, come on... It's ME.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    the iPhone was an extension of an existing line, the iPod.
    I don't think people realize how big of a thing this was for the iPhone and it being one of the big reasons to not hold a huge hope that the Pre is actually going to knock the iPhone off its perch.

The iPod had infested our pop culture. It was everywhere. MP3 players were hardly new, but within the first year of the iPod being launched "Mp3 player" had all but vanished from the vernacular...replaced by "iPod".

The iPhone wasn't just a phone, it was the next step from the iPod. It used the same software as your iPod, could do all the things your iPod could do, but now with a BIG screen AND with a Phone so you didn't have to carry both around!

Sure, WinMo and Palm had already been doing the "smartphone that can do Mp3's and video" thing for some time before this...but they didn't have the "i" in front of them, and people learned from the iPod that your music player needs to have that "i".

While the iPhone was a first gen device, it was coming in with essentially a large target audiance already pre-disposed to it and somewhat experienced with it with every person that owned an iPod.

Easiest way to think about it.

I'd wager most iPhone users just have their iPhone, not an iPhone and an iPod for music.

I'd bet you that a large amount of WinMo and POS users have both their smartphone AND an iPod.

That's what really kick started the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    It is possible that the vacation freeze was just at one store. The manager has a lot of leeway of this type of thing and if he thinks or KNOWS that the PRE will be released during this time then they can freeze vacations due to staffing issues. Just a thought because my company does the same thing during big projects that doesn't affect other parts of the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I don't think people realize how big of a thing this was for the iPhone and it being one of the big reasons to not hold a huge hope that the Pre is actually going to knock the iPhone off its perch.

The iPod had infested our pop culture. It was everywhere. MP3 players were hardly new, but within the first year of the iPod being launched "Mp3 player" had all but vanished from the vernacular...replaced by "iPod".

The iPhone wasn't just a phone, it was the next step from the iPod. It used the same software as your iPod, could do all the things your iPod could do, but now with a BIG screen AND with a Phone so you didn't have to carry both around!

Sure, WinMo and Palm had already been doing the "smartphone that can do Mp3's and video" thing for some time before this...but they didn't have the "i" in front of them, and people learned from the iPod that your music player needs to have that "i".

While the iPhone was a first gen device, it was coming in with essentially a large target audiance already pre-disposed to it and somewhat experienced with it with every person that owned an iPod.

Easiest way to think about it.

I'd wager most iPhone users just have their iPhone, not an iPhone and an iPod for music.

I'd bet you that a large amount of WinMo and POS users have both their smartphone AND an iPod.

If you're interested in survey data about what iPhone users do with their phones (some of this applies to the Pre), check out Rubicon's study at http://rubiconconsulting.com/downloa...ser_Survey.pdf. Music is the fourth most popular use. Reading [sic] email is first.
    John
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

All the iPhone users I met ( about 50 of them) had an iPod.
    I might have to search the web for this stat i.e. "how many of the iPhone owners have owned an iPod prior to the release of iPhone".

Folks who bought iPhone were existing owners of iPod i.e. folks who bought an iPod and carried A PHONE. They didn't want to carry iPod + Phone, hence the iPhone.

That's what kick started the iPhomania.

On the second one, i.e. most users of WinMo and POS have iPods too, sure they carry them with their phones.
    But , all the cool APPS apart , iPhone is another good touchscreen phone that does the internet browsing well and has a neat music player aka iTunes.

PALM or WinMo cannot match the APPS on the iPhone in the next couple of years or so. Full credit to APPLE on that. But PALM can probably match the browsing capabilities plus add a music player that can match or exceed iTunes.
    Last edited by gbp; 04/08/2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo and change
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    So yeah, there ya go folks. May 10th - 17th.
    I'm on vacation that week, so obviously that can't be the right week. One just can't be on vacation and spend that time waiting in line, that's just wrong. I plan to take a sick day for the day I wait in line for the Pre, and maybe the day after because I will actually be sick from spending the night on the sidewalk.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeans View Post
    If you're interested in survey data about what iPhone users do with their phones (some of this applies to the Pre), check out Rubicon's study at http://rubiconconsulting.com/downloa...ser_Survey.pdf. Music is the fourth most popular use. Reading [sic] email is first.
    Thanks mate,
    This is cool , interesting to know that a third of iPhone owners carry a second phone ( suckers , they probably switched to ATT while remaining on the other carriers) and about 10% of them unlocked.

I would suspect that some of the third might ditch ATT when they see alternatives.

Back to the topic ,
    I want Pre to be release this month , so it can steal the thunder till June ( iPhone 3.0 release)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeans View Post
    Thanks for this! It confirms part of what I was thinking. That unlike Palm, the iPhone had a leg up simply based on the infastructure of its previous brands basically building upon each other (Palm has other products, but not the real "build upon them").

First you build with mac users.

Then you have iTunes

Then you have iPod

Then you have iPhone.

They said that half the iPhone customers they surveyed were iPod owners, and I'm unsure really how their protocol worked to know if that is only people that still had their ipod, or people who simply owned an ipod at some point prior to or in concordance with the iPhone.

It also shows some things that hte Pre can try to capitalize on.

Top 3 things the iPhone used for:

Read Email
    Send/Read SMS
    Browse the Web

In regards to reading email, hopefully good push services will help make this as good as the iPhone at least. Composing email is low, but perhaps with a keyboard this gets bumped up higher.

Send/Read SMS is I think the perfect thing to look at for where the Pre can look better than the Palm. Synergy makes messaging a joy with it not just doing SMS but IM's and facebook perhaps as well. The keyboard helps give you screen real estate for reading and easier typing.

Browsing the web, its important that Pre delivers as well as the iPhone and if it really IS a faster render than all teh better.

Contacts and Calander are there with compose email as a second tier thing but still significant, and the Pre should do well with it.

The Pre hopefully will have a good enough media player that it at least competes with the iPhone but more importantly is better than the attrocious WMP mobile on WinMo.

I think the Pre will do wonderfully, but I think its going to be a slightly more uphill battle than what the iPhone had.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Zyphlin,
    "They said that half the iPhone customers they surveyed were iPod owners"
    the number is about 69% , you have to add the ipod + Mac
    So almost 7 out of 10 were repeat customers for the APPLE brand.